Is this a record

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

SHARKY2000
Currently Drives:: 08 RENAULT MEGANE DIESEL HATCHBACK 1.5 dCi 86 Tech Run 5dr Hatchback

Is this a record

Postby SHARKY2000 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:54 am

Three months old 3000 Miles new drive shaft :-(

RENAULT MEGANE DIESEL HATCHBACK 1.5 dCi 86 Tech Run 5dr Hatchback

wanda
F1 Driver

Re: Is this a record

Postby wanda » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:24 am

Ow dear. I hope thats the last of your worries

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:51 am

My Father in law has an ex demo VW Golf (he got a slight discount by them running it for a few months) that needed a new gearbox at ~1700 miles.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Lucky for you that it's still under warranty. I hope that's the last of your problems. :cool:
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:38 pm

renault has announced that its cutting production due to lacklustre sales of its main ranges, and its UK dealers are up in arms as they are not going to get the new budget sandero model to boost their own poor performance- even the new 'quality campaign' for the new laguna is not affecting that cars sales for the better..

people have long memories where cars are concerned...and the megane has been a disgraceful indictment of poorly resolved research and development-

i cannot believe that a 3 month old car has had such a failure- one built within this new 'quality' environment.

you are under warranty but how long do you intend to keep the car?..

i will never buy another renault again.....especially now i have read your post!!!

glad to get that off my chest....,now, where is the local honda dealership?...(do you think there is a forum for japanese car owners to compare faults?!!!!)..or do they all just run off to the JD powers survey to annoy me/renault owners with their perfect reliability!!!

im sure this post is affected by the fact that my car, yet again , is failing to pull properly, always seems to do this when the weather is warm....
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:28 pm

I think it's the same old story - you get good and bad cars no matter who the manufacturer is. Previous to my Meganes I owned a procession of Hondas - great cars but if I can be just a bit too honest, boring!! I know that may sound a bit over the top, and I'm not saying that because I like a bit of un-reliability. My Prelude GSi was a real tyre shredder but I now much prefer to drive my Meg 1.5 DCi, great economy, great looks, goes like stink (for it's engine size), fabulous trim level and much more value for money than any Honda (or many other "prestige" brands) could offer. (well it's my opinion anyway!!) :rock

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:15 pm

keeforelli wrote:renault has announced that its cutting production due to lacklustre sales of its main ranges, and its UK dealers are up in arms as they are not going to get the new budget sandero model to boost their own poor performance- even the new 'quality campaign' for the new laguna is not affecting that cars sales for the better..

people have long memories where cars are concerned...and the megane has been a disgraceful indictment of poorly resolved research and development-

i cannot believe that a 3 month old car has had such a failure- one built within this new 'quality' environment.

you are under warranty but how long do you intend to keep the car?..

i will never buy another renault again.....especially now i have read your post!!!

glad to get that off my chest....,now, where is the local honda dealership?...(do you think there is a forum for japanese car owners to compare faults?!!!!)..or do they all just run off to the JD powers survey to annoy me/renault owners with their perfect reliability!!!

im sure this post is affected by the fact that my car, yet again , is failing to pull properly, always seems to do this when the weather is warm....

Keeforelli,

take a look at this forum for the new honda civic: http://www.civinfo.com/

Full of common faults etc! Yet the model managed to finished in the top 10 (I can't remember the exact position) in the owners survey run by the magazine auto express. I think it finished this highly because Honda dealers are the probably the complete opposite to Renault dealers, they probably get your problems sorted 1st time and once and for all! Although on that forum people still complain about the dealers etc.

Having a driveshaft become faulty at 3,000 miles is definitely saying a lot about the quality and reliability of the Megane I agree, and I have too had many problems with my Megane, although strangely it has been behaving ever since the warranty expired? I have lost confidence in Renault as a car manufacturer many times, and I too probably will not buy another Renault... but then again the new Megane III is coming out soon :-) see what happens!
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

robznet
Advanced Driver

Postby robznet » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:09 am

OK guys, it's nostalgia time! And I know this really isn't the place to post this but I've just had a "Google" on my old Honda Prelude GSi and come up with the pic below. I know it looks old by todays standards but believe me it was a real flyer! It was a "limited production" car with an engine that was only produced for about twelve months. Most Preludes of this shape were SOHC engines. This one was a DOHC "big valve" engine - hence the "lump" on the passenger's side of the bonnet to accomodate the oversized power plant. It was also factory lowered and came with unique alloys.
IMG]https://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s264/robznet/Prelude.jpg[/IMG]
Below are some quotations from old road test reports.

"Unbelievably Fast"

"Very quick, very low, very sleek, very expensive!!"

Bucket loads of power (about 160bhp) on tap. Sounded gorgeous on full chat.

Subaru owners beware. This thing will give you a run for your money.

Anyway - nostalgia time over - back to the present!

Rob

robznet
Advanced Driver

Postby robznet » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:18 am

OK - the image didn't work as expected! So here it is - my fault - sorry!
Must learn to cut & paste properly whilst under the influence of Newcastle Brown! :rock

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:17 am

i think the issue here is that megane owners are either highly sensitive to faults in order to keep this part of this forum running!!!!....(me included) or, more likely, that we suffer more bloody annoying faults and bad cars than many equivalent brands......

i did my research on the megane using the major car mag buying guides....all of which were full of praise and only gave the merest hint of trouble....i found this forum after a drive to gatwick and back revealed a marked lack of power when the thing was warmed through and the classic hot starting problems...that and squeeling brakes...which squeeled when they werent even applied etc....

after a year of attention the car behaves, as long as i dont mind performance that changes daily.

i think i, and other megane owners deserve to be able to get into their cars and drive them and enjoy them, and perhaps even be bored by them and their consistency!!!. The esteem i hold my car in is very low now, i have lost a bit of faith in it, it doesnt wind me up like it used to when something isnt right on it....that despite it being safe, quiet and great to look at..its all spoilt

renault and its dealers must shoulder alot of the blame, and i believe its misplaced loyalty to a car and a brand to defend questionable quality..even if a car IS great looking/fast etc....

i wonder how many owners on here were caught out both financially and had their lives impacted by their cars reliabilty....warranty or no warranty, i would (and have started to)lose faith in car that was in and out of a garage constantly...for example the amount of dephaser pully posts...when this can be £600 a pop, on a newish car, is beyond what you budget for or expect when you buy a car...and then having to barter with renault Uk over this...well who needs that in their day to day life?..i would not be able to find that sort of money...( i don't have the 1.6....)

rant over!!!!.... i get wound up by things not working properly...and poor service.

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:25 am

PW981!!!

there is a forum for honda problems!!..i concede i have a little spring in my step now...

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:49 am

What Honda could I get? I looked at newcarnet.com and selected diesel manual estate between £7500 and £17500. No Honda there...
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

robznet
Advanced Driver

Postby robznet » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:56 pm

don't think they do the new Civic in estate car guise as yet, I do know they do a bloody good diesel engine though! Just a case of waiting I guess! :-(

Rob

steve the postman
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME TUNING BOX
DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER
HID HEADLIGHTS
PIAA HORNS
GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

Postby steve the postman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:07 pm

yes they do make an excellent 2.2 diesel engine for the civic
42.2mpg factory fig
ins group 10
138g/km so £110 road tax
£16,790 without options for 3 door
I'm sticking with my meg
51.4 mpg
ins group ?
117g/km 35 tax going to 30 next year
£13,610 3 door no options
depends on wallet and preference all in all
1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME, TUNING BOX, DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER, HID HEADLIGHTS, PIAA HORNS, GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL.

louiserd
Passed Theory

Postby louiserd » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:53 am

steve the postman wrote:yes they do make an excellent 2.2 diesel engine for the civic
42.2mpg factory fig
ins group 10
138g/km so £110 road tax
£16,790 without options for 3 door
I'm sticking with my meg
51.4 mpg
ins group ?
117g/km 35 tax going to 30 next year
£13,610 3 door no options
depends on wallet and preference all in all

Exactly, BUT that pretty Honda advert said how amazing their diesel engine is so it must be, right? Wrong. "Hate something, change something..." - they were just covering up for a poor diesel engine.

Return to “Problems / Questions”