oil change

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jono35

oil change

Postby jono35 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:10 pm

Not a problem just a question this time. What would be the best grade / type oil to use for an oil change? Mine is a 1.6vvt 03 plate with 50k miles on the clock. I'm taking the megane to France in a couple of weeks and its due a service.

Also has anyone re gassed their air con? or should I leave that to the experts at Renault

thanks

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Re: oil change

Postby cactusbob » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Get a fully synthetic oil, not sure on the grade for your engine though. You can't regas your aircon though unless you have high pressure equipment
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:43 pm

I suggest to read about the Renault oil standard in "Links" (the standard is too young to be popular), then read the oilman's thread in "Parts and Accessories" and then ask oilman for advice if necessary. He will probably suggest a 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil having ACEA A3/B4, MB229.3/5, BMW Longlife-01/98 and VW 503.00 standards. 0w... oils generally have a better basestock, but this mostly shows up under racing conditions and in very cold climates. The word ESTER means better protection during startup and generally better performance, but may also mean a potential problem in case of short journeys. Oilman has special prices for the club members in his web site.

Aircon. Renault procedure is to drain it, then refill the system with measured amount of refrigerant and oil. I chose to do it at Renault when they had a special offer.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

jono35

Postby jono35 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Thanks for the info. Id better get it changed soon :cool:

Return to “Problems / Questions”