ESP retro-fit

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Re: ESP retro-fit

Postby tomalamix » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:13 pm

retro-fit is possible and ive seen it done, but requires some patience.

im stuck on the part to obtain a ABS+ESP module at a fair price (i will not give 50€ or more to units that goes everyday to the press machine along with the car..) to go forward.

you'll need:

ESP/ABS Module with 44 pins
Wiring loom with the proper connector to the ESP/ABS unit and with the adapter to the button
Adapt your hydraulic brake lines to connect to the new ESP/ABS unit (or get those lines from an scrapyard car with this kind of unit)
ESP activation Button (this is not really needed)
CLIP or other universal UCH programmer (this is not really needed also)
Relay to activate brake lights when ESP is running (this is not really needed also)
G-Sensor - its installed under the drivers seat, under carpet (for non-UK cars)

The things that you wont need, but at the beginning i thought it was necessary, is the wheel sensor position, on this car the system doesn't use this.

The button, the CLIP (or other programmer) and the relay is not a must to put the system together. The system will start working as soon as your wheels touch the ground and start spinning, no need to turn it on on the button nor the UCH will need to know that now you have ESP installed, the system is completely autonomous.

Without those "optional" things you'll not have the brake lights turning on when the ESP is working, you wont have the possibility to turn off the system without the button and you will not have the ESP light turning on the dashboard without the UCH programmed.

Thats it. :)

If you get a cheap unit please let me know. its really simple to identify, it has 44 pins instead of 22 like the "normal" ABS modules

cheers

Return to “Problems / Questions”