window regulator

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

window regulator

Postby nickbell69 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:26 pm

Anyone else had quotes for front window regulator? Had mine in to an independant with front window not working. After he'd had it for couple of hours i got call saying they thought they'd done it but it had dropped down and was stuck down. Was told only thing to do was have new regulator fitted. New regulator £187!! :eek Told him that was extortionate and could they get window back up, after a load of technical excuses his answer was no it was stuck down. In the end he offered to fit part free of labour but i'm still thinking that seems alot. Read other posts about Renault covering this out of warranty but i'm suspecting mine been 5years old might be stretching that a bit.

sav0
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci 53 Plate

Re: window regulator

Postby sav0 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:26 am

Look on ebay you can pick up a new window regulator for around £50 and they are dead easy to fit .

jooooohn
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci

Postby jooooohn » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:07 pm

mine is getting replaced on warrenty / my warrenty covers it and they said if not covered it would be £157

JIMR2
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Dynamique Tourer 1.5 dci

Postby JIMR2 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:49 pm

I also have a fault with my front n/s window in the way that, It doesn't matter if I press up or down, the window motor will only go in one direction :banghead .
I then replaced the whole window regulator with one I scraped from a breakers (yep its me the airbag/service light problem!! I like my breakers and trying to fix things, CHEAP. thanks for your post ny the way) Anyway I was saying: once it was changed, the replacement motor did exactly the same thing. :banghead
So I decided that as I'd only just got the car and one trip to the Renault dealer might pay off as they would do an all over check and Diagnostics. :lol: Was I wrong. They reckon I need to replace the regulator!! again!! Going by the law of averages I'm sure it can't be that. The long and short of it is that they quoted me £340 to supply and fit!! They sell the regulator for £176 vat inclusive and he even told me that they could do it in about 30 mins. How much do we have to pay for labour?? You do the maths

If you like to get your hands dirty then try to buy a cheaper replacement and have a go yourself. If you need any help in fitting just ask otherwise save up and good luck.

JIMR2

sav0
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci 53 Plate

Postby sav0 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:06 pm

I know someone that works ( I use this term loosley ) for Renault Evans Halshaw and they charge £100+VAT an hour even if its just a diagnostic . Dealers should only be used in an extreme emergency unless you have more money than sence if your car is out of warrenty

JIMR2

Postby JIMR2 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:04 pm

I would like to retract what I said about the dealer being wrong and needing another regulator. It turned out to be very true. The replacement regulator I got from a breakers turned out to have exactly the same problem as my original one :-( (lucky theres a 90 day warranty period).
Its my first Renault and it looks like I've got a bit to learn about them, so in future, before I write post I will endeavor to know what I'm talking about.
Anyway I managed to pick a brand new one up off ebay, fitted it and it now works a treat!! :grin all done for £138

horse
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 2.0

Postby horse » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi all
I have just got an 03 megane 2.0 3 door and the windows do not work !
there is no thing from any of the 3 switches ! How can i be sure it is the regulator ?
Thank you

DanielM
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.4 16v dynamic

Postby DanielM » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:21 pm

I had the same problem, got a brand new regulator for £80 and fitted it myself wasnt too hard a job, just a bit tricky.

Renault do charge extortionate prices though. Places like Euro Car Parts are better for thing like this.

JIMR2

Postby JIMR2 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi Horse,
I'm no tech bod or out... but I reckon if you can hear any sort of noise in the door when ur pressing the window switch then at a guess?!? it probably needs a new regulator c/w motor.(on each window)seems unlikely but it is a Renault!! :lol:
If u hear nothing on pressing a switch u could try the reset trick which involves lifting the two front switches up for ten seconds whilst ignition on(I think) then see what happens. I had to do this when one of my windows only went up in 1"" stages, it sorted it tho.
failing that get a multi-meter and check for power to either switch or motor.
failing that then take it to a dealer and expect to pay 50squid for a diagnosis.
If its the regulators then I would strongly recommend u buy new ones and fit them yourself as its pretty darn easy and saves u hell of a LOT of dosh than if a Dealer would do it.
Good luck, if u need help I'm sure another post will do the trick :cool:

JIMR2

Postby JIMR2 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:42 pm

Danielm,
Where on earth did u get a new window regulator for £80?? Was it just the mechanism or did it come with the motor as well???? I went to Europarts to look for one and they told me they couldn't supply a complete reg 'n' motor unit, just the reg mech.
If you got the lot for that price then I think you should make "the suppliers address" public Knowledge by posting it toot sweet!!
cheers
I think I'm loosing the plot now, time to loog oof :nut

horse

Postby horse » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:25 pm

JIMR2 wrote:Hi Horse,
I'm no tech bod or out... but I reckon if you can hear any sort of noise in the door when ur pressing the window switch then at a guess?!? it probably needs a new regulator c/w motor.(on each window)seems unlikely but it is a Renault!! :lol:
If u hear nothing on pressing a switch u could try the reset trick which involves lifting the two front switches up for ten seconds whilst ignition on(I think) then see what happens. I had to do this when one of my windows only went up in 1"" stages, it sorted it tho.
failing that get a multi-meter and check for power to either switch or motor.
failing that then take it to a dealer and expect to pay 50squid for a diagnosis.
If its the regulators then I would strongly recommend u buy new ones and fit them yourself as its pretty darn easy and saves u hell of a LOT of dosh than if a Dealer would do it.
Good luck, if u need help I'm sure another post will do the trick :cool:

Thank You
I have ordered 2 from ebay
i let you know how i get on
fingers x'd

horse

Postby horse » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:19 am

Help Please!!!
Spent over £100 on 2 regfs and it is not them :x
I have a feed to motor but none to switches ?
Tried motor without reg attached and no response!
Any ideas please ?

Return to “Problems / Questions”