engine stalls hot and cold after starting

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nordicblue
Currently Drives:: Megane 2003 1.6 16v

engine stalls hot and cold after starting

Postby nordicblue » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi guy's i am new here so i would like to say thankyou in advance for a great website.
I have own Renaults for a while from a 1998 clio to a 2000 clio then a 51 clio and a 51 scenic and now i have a 1.6 16v 2003 Megane with a problem. :cry
As i have owned renaults before i am used to the little niggles but this is a new one for me.
The problem is after starting up the car in hot or cold or from hot or cold then i sart to move off and then it stalls.
I have changed the crank sensor on to of the gear box and it isn't that so i am asking andother ideas.
I am mechanically minded and good with my hands so the other half says wink wink so i am not shy of getting into the job. I also have the autodata cd which gives me basic info.
Hope to here from some one soon.
thankyou :roll: :banghead

nordicblue

Re: engine stalls hot and cold after starting

Postby nordicblue » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:33 pm

ok something new now. The car starts then stalls then the smell of mixed fuel.

what next ??????????? :conf :conf :life

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Try cleaning the throttle body.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

Ozzy82
Learner Driver

Postby Ozzy82 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:07 am

i've got a 2003 1.6vvt too, nordic. and mine does the same! whether i start it first thing in the morning, or middle of the day after a few short or long runs, makes no difference. car struggles, low revs, and get a really nasty noise from the engine. there is a puff of white smoke and a strong smell of fuel. is this the dreaded dephaser pulley??
1.6 VVT Dynamique, 2003, Ottoman Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, Auto lights/wipers, Pioneer TS-Q131c, Shinyautos.com Blue LED interior lighting, ITG filter, HID Lights (Cheers Andy!!)

nordicblue

Postby nordicblue » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:56 am

i get no noises or smoke just in first gear and up the box in second also around 1000 revs the engine judders and stops.
What are the symptoms af the cam sensor going and if the dephaser has gone what are they.
thanks for the advice so for and the throttle body being cleaned what is involved thanks.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:16 pm

Ozzy82 wrote:i've got a 2003 1.6vvt too, nordic. and mine does the same! whether i start it first thing in the morning, or middle of the day after a few short or long runs, makes no difference. car struggles, low revs, and get a really nasty noise from the engine. there is a puff of white smoke and a strong smell of fuel. is this the dreaded dephaser pulley??

That is 99% the depahser pulley. Trust me i've just had the work done. Had Renault not admitted it was their error, would have cost me £512!!!

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:18 pm

Ozzy82 wrote:i've got a 2003 1.6vvt too, nordic. and mine does the same! whether i start it first thing in the morning, or middle of the day after a few short or long runs, makes no difference. car struggles, low revs, and get a really nasty noise from the engine. there is a puff of white smoke and a strong smell of fuel. is this the dreaded dephaser pulley??

Listen to the sound clip on this website, if your noise is similar to this, its definately the depahser. Get it into Renault immediately and demand it is done free of charge

https://eigenmatrix.org/tag/dephaser-pulley

Ozzy82
Learner Driver

Postby Ozzy82 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:04 pm

cant play the sound clip, mate. but i have booked it in with the local 'stealer' and am taking it there tomorrow. spoke to Renault UK on the phone and they said book it in first then they "may be able to pay towards some of the cost, and the dealer may charge for diagnosing the fault"..... when i take it in 2moro, wot should i say??
1.6 VVT Dynamique, 2003, Ottoman Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, Auto lights/wipers, Pioneer TS-Q131c, Shinyautos.com Blue LED interior lighting, ITG filter, HID Lights (Cheers Andy!!)

nordicblue

Postby nordicblue » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:30 pm

what do i say to renault uk and what do i say to the dealers ?

the problem i have is that the car had a dephaser pulley and this list

rem ref Plenum chamber
remove and refit camshaft pully
replace timing belt
rem ref solenoid ball valve
core plug
plug?
distrib kit
fanbelt
dephaser pulley

this was all done 30/04/06 with 34500 miles on the clock.
the car has only done 49000 now to date.

so please help me as i am going mad :banghead :banghead :cry :mad

nordicblue

Postby nordicblue » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:51 am

the nice man at the RAC has just been out and he says its the throttle body but is this not the plenum chamber that was replace 15000 miles ago. No records on the dianostic machine. Really fed up now :cry: :cry:

nordicblue

Postby nordicblue » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:37 am

phoned renault today to find out why i cannot get the car up on the renault.co.uk site and they reckon its an import may be from cyprus. They are going to call me back later to confirm. No recalls they said. If petrol wasn't so expensive aye ;) ;) i think i am going to have to send it to them and loose my right arm :cry :eek :eek

Ozzy82
Learner Driver

Postby Ozzy82 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:21 pm

my car has been into to the renault dealership, and i stressed to them i had a number of problems, one of them being starting problems, hot and cold, a rattling-type noise at startup and revs dropping rapidly and then stalling. 2 hours after dropping it off, i got a phonecall stating my brake fluid pipe was leaking, it is an emergency and i have to get it fixed otherwise my car would not be roadworthy.i said ok, go ahead and repair.
a few more hours later, got a phonecall saying my engine top mounts need replacing and will cost..... £400 to repair. :shock: told them to leave that, and tell me more about the starting problems. their reply was "we cannot find any faults with it".
i am losing the plot with the car, and am going to get rid of it ASAP. was tempted to part ex for a 1.9 dci Meg, but the reliability issues and the poor dealership service provided has put me off renault big time. gonna be boring and go buy myself a ford or summat similar, atleast it wont cost me my arm AND my leg!

nordicblue

Postby nordicblue » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:06 pm

my problem might be the throttle body as when it is held a 1200 revs it hunts up and down

nordicblue

Postby nordicblue » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:48 pm

had a throttle body delivered today of a 8000 mile car and guess what it still not solved the problem so ts into renault for a diagnostic tomorrow dinner time so i'll keep you updated.
Lifes a bitch and then you buy one.

:life

nordicblue

Postby nordicblue » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:15 pm

ok took it today and they said no faults popping up so he recoded the throttle body and it seems to be running ok. The test will be in the morning when its started from cold and then we will see if it was just the lost coding to the throttle body. £85 lighter for the experiance :hug

Return to “Problems / Questions”