Starting problems - Please help!!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Frustrated

Starting problems - Please help!!!

Postby Frustrated » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi there, this is my first post on here so please be gentle!!

Anyway, I have a 54 plate Renault Megane 1.6vvt Dynamique.

I have been experiencing some not so nice noises coming from the engine when the car is started up, however these problems only seem to be intermitant.

Basically, when the engine is switched on, it will sometimes make a choking/growling noise then cut out. When i attempt to start it a second time, it will start with a struggle.

When i here this growling noise, if i rev the accelerator, the car will start and the noise go's away.

I have had the cylinder colis checked and they are fine and a mechanic has put the diagnostic computer in and there are no reports of any misfires.

Can someone be of some assistance and hazard a guess as to what the problem is. Its driving me mad and i'm worried its something serious.

Also, to add to this problem, my indicators very often stop working unless i hold them down and when in lower gears, a loud noise comes from the rear of the car similar to that of your brakes sqealing but its not the brakes as i'm not braking!

Please help!!! Thanks.

radish
Currently Drives:: Megane Dynamique 1.6 16v VVT 5dr

Re: Starting problems - Please help!!!

Postby radish » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi,
this sounds the same as was happening to my 05 plate Renault Megane 1.6vvt Dynamique! When i took it in to the renault daler they diagnosed it to be the de-phaser pulley that needed replacing... apparently a known isue with Megane's... free replacement under warranty, but mine was just out of warranty (!!) even though an 05 car has 3 years warranty, but that's another story!, so the cost was £500 but Renault offered to pay half of it..
Hope this may be of help..

Rad

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:00 am

Your rear brakes may be binding if you are getting a noise from the rear. If they are, you may find that the wheels are warm after a journey. You could try feeling the rear discs after a drive to see if one side is warmer than the other but be careful incase they are very hot!
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:02 pm

radish wrote:Hi,
this sounds the same as was happening to my 05 plate Renault Megane 1.6vvt Dynamique! When i took it in to the renault daler they diagnosed it to be the de-phaser pulley that needed replacing... apparently a known isue with Megane's... free replacement under warranty, but mine was just out of warranty (!!) even though an 05 car has 3 years warranty, but that's another story!, so the cost was £500 but Renault offered to pay half of it..
Hope this may be of help..

Rad

I spoke to Renault today and they offered me 20% off the price and said they would contact customer services to try and get a further discount. As its a known fault, i cannot believe they won't just fix it for free, as it is their own error.

Will see what happens and let you know

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Jonault wrote:Your rear brakes may be binding if you are getting a noise from the rear. If they are, you may find that the wheels are warm after a journey. You could try feeling the rear discs after a drive to see if one side is warmer than the other but be careful incase they are very hot!

What can be done to rectify this?

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:59 pm

This could be caused by the handbrake mechanism requiring a bit of lubrication.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:59 pm

Car broke down on Saturday and the AA were called out. Had to replace number 1 Cylinder coil.

Ever since, the choking noise which i think is the dephaser pulley has gone far worse.

Going in on Thursday so hopefully will get sorted then.

Has Anyone got the dephaser oulley fixed free outside of their warranty?

Ozzy82
Learner Driver

Postby Ozzy82 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:45 pm

Has Anyone got the dephaser pulley fixed free outside of their warranty?

i would like to know the answer to this too cos i think mine is on the blink. on startup i get a loud "grating" noise, and my MPG has got lower and lower (from approx 33 to 27).
1.6 VVT Dynamique, 2003, Ottoman Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, Auto lights/wipers, Pioneer TS-Q131c, Shinyautos.com Blue LED interior lighting, ITG filter, HID Lights (Cheers Andy!!)

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Spoke to Renault UK this morning and they said they will look into replacing the dephaser pulley for reduced/free once they have spoken to the Dealership on Thursday.

Will let people know

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:28 pm

Took my car in Wed night and Renault Altrincham phoned me this morning to state that it was indeed the Dephaser Pulley that was gone and needed replacing.

They said it will be done for free and the cambelt would also be replaced whilst they finish the job. Would have cost me £512 if they hadn't acknowledged that i have reported this fault approx 5 times in the last 18 months and whilst it was in warranty.

Picked up the car an hour ago and both the depahser and the cambelt have been replaced free of charge despite the car being out of warranty due to their admittance that it is their error. Car seems fine so far, fingers crossed.

To anyone with a similar problem; Make sure you emphasise that this is a manufacturer fault on the car and that it should at least be heavily discounted if not repaired for free. If you kick up enough of a fuss, they will eventually back down and do if free of charge.

Fingers crossed, thats that and to celebrate i'm going to get rid of the damn thing, p/x it for a new car (not a Renault!)

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:51 pm

good for you....i wish i didn't have finance on mine and i would do the same thing!!!!!..then i could get a car where i didn't need to read a forum about it daily!!!!!
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Just to update.

Fingers crossed since the car went in last week, the noise from the engine has gone and the car no longer cuts out on start.

Return to “Problems / Questions”