first problem with my megane

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

pauley11

first problem with my megane

Postby pauley11 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:19 pm

i have a megane dynamic 1.6 , 05. just last night i aproched a roundabout went into second put my foot down there was less power than normal, and the engine strugles to idle and the car shakes like mad, what could be the problem,

any ideas would be grateful, i just hope it isnt gonna cost me an arm and a leg.

Cheers

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Re: first problem with my megane

Postby Jonault » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:35 pm

It could be any number of things such as:

Dephaser pulley/solenoid (expensive)
Failed pencil coil
Failed spark plug
Failed TDC sensor
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:54 am

very likely that a pencil coil has failed and the engine is running only on 3 cyclinders.
if your still within the 3yr warranty take to the dealer to sort it.
if not, theyre easy to replace yourself..just need a 10mm socket.
they work as pairs (outer 2, and inner 2) , so you will need at least 2 new ones, but i would recommend changing all 4.
buy some Beru ones.
only do this when the engine is cold.
change over the outer 2, by uncliping the wiring and undoing the securing bolt...then pull it upwards with a little force.
If after replacing 2 and the car still shakes then you know that one of the inner 2 are faulty and swap them over.
This way you'll know which pair you can keep as spares, and which to throw away.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:51 pm

The spark plug connected to the faulty coil will be wet and dark, which is easy to see. Just don't forget to apply the insulating grease when installing the coils. This is a likely cause of many coil failures.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

pauley11

Postby pauley11 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:38 pm

thanks for your help guys, got it sorted thismorning it was the pencil coil , it cost me 100 quid coz im outta warrenty , only took an hr. the fella told me tho that i might need the cam sensor replacing soon tho, about 80 quid in all he said, im happy anyway. i can get to work now ..........

Cheers

Return to “Problems / Questions”