aaaaaaah stalling when turned on

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

milesg_01
Currently Drives:: Audi A4 Avant Sportline 2008
Megane 2 Sport 1.6 16v 3dr Hatch

aaaaaaah stalling when turned on

Postby milesg_01 » Sun May 25, 2008 11:39 am

Got a stalling problem when I just turn it on. 52reg 1.6 VVT Dynamique. When I start it starts ok but revs drop after about 5 secs and then again if I try to reverse or pull away with it. Once going it is fine, does not stall at junctions. But if I turn it off, wait 2 mins then start again it does it again........

Help please, I want to sell this now.

I have cleaned the throttle butterfly this week.

Is there a way of adjusting the idle speed like on a carbed car?

Do you think this could be the dreaded Coil Packs? If so, how much is it to fix? Can I DIY?

Thanks again everyone in anticipation of your help!!!

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Re: aaaaaaah stalling when turned on

Postby keeforelli » Sun May 25, 2008 6:34 pm

you have cleaned the throttle body?...is it worse when warm?...give me more detail- i had something similar on mine..does it affect performance?
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

milesg_01

Postby milesg_01 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi, seems worse when cold or when the engine has been off for more than 2 mins.
Doesn't seem to have affected performance too much, I think cleaning the TB helped a little on that front but the throttle body is now clean and still stalling.
Can I adjust the idle speed?

Thanks again in advance

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Mon May 26, 2008 10:35 am

hi there.....

doesnt sound the same as mine....lots of renaults have cold running issues...have you checked the TDC and coolant sensor?....do you get a strong smell of fuel?...i doubt its the idle speed...but when was the last time it was hooked up to a diagnostic?

milesg_01

Postby milesg_01 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:03 pm

It was serviced in Feb, Gold service, 2k miles ago......

Then I bought it!

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:50 am

could be the coils or tdc sensor (as youve already cleaned the throttle body)
the idle speed is not adjustable - it's part of the electronics.

pencil coils are about £20 each (get Beru ones) - you need 4 and is a very easy DIY job to replace them (all you need is a 10mm socket) .To be honest if you still have the original's on the car i'd replace them anyway...they will fail eventually on a pre 2004 car.

another possibilty is the petrol your putting in...this sounds a bit silly but mine stalled a couple of times same symtoms as yours just after i'd put some redex in the petrol...don't know if this was just coincidence or what, but it hasn't done it again..so i figured the car was sensitive to the petrol ??? so if you always fill up at the same petrol station it's worth going somewhere else for a week or 2 as a longshot.

after starting the car if you rev it up first within the 5 secs does it still stall ??

magnus1
Currently Drives:: renault megane expression mk2 1.4 16v pearl black

Postby magnus1 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm

How do you clean the throttle body?
i have the exact same problem, sometimes takes 5 or 6 times to get going.
i think the 1.4's are sluggish anyway but mine seems very sluggish and takes along time to get up to speed.
Thanks

milesg_01

Postby milesg_01 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:06 pm

markren2004 wrote:could be the coils or tdc sensor (as youve already cleaned the throttle body)
the idle speed is not adjustable - it's part of the electronics.

pencil coils are about £20 each (get Beru ones) - you need 4 and is a very easy DIY job to replace them (all you need is a 10mm socket) .To be honest if you still have the original's on the car i'd replace them anyway...they will fail eventually on a pre 2004 car.

another possibilty is the petrol your putting in...this sounds a bit silly but mine stalled a couple of times same symtoms as yours just after i'd put some redex in the petrol...don't know if this was just coincidence or what, but it hasn't done it again..so i figured the car was sensitive to the petrol ??? so if you always fill up at the same petrol station it's worth going somewhere else for a week or 2 as a longshot.

after starting the car if you rev it up first within the 5 secs does it still stall ??

Could be onto something there, we did put in Redex injector cleaner just before the time it started doing it as INJECTION FAULT kept coming up. Ahhhh, so what do you think I should do? We have done a tank full since then?

I think the coils will need doing anyhow.

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Postby Woody Woo » Fri May 30, 2008 11:59 am

You need to get a CLIP test done otherwise you will start playing an expensive and time-consuming game of 'poke and hope'.
It could be the beginnings of the dephaser pulley. Hopefully not as this will set you back a good £500. A failed DP should show a code on the CLIP test.

Renault Build A Better Car :-)

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Fri May 30, 2008 1:46 pm

is a CLIP test a diagnostic?...i am STILL trying to get min to run properly....and have had many diagnostic!!!

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:01 pm

[quote="milesg_01]
Could be onto something there, we did put in Redex injector cleaner just before the time it started doing it as INJECTION FAULT kept coming up. Ahhhh, so what do you think I should do? We have done a tank full since then?

I think the coils will need doing anyhow.[/quote]
The INJECTION FAULT is a symtom of coils beginning to fail....so id change the coils anyway and see how the land lies.

Return to “Problems / Questions”