eggy radiator

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

magnus1
Currently Drives:: renault megane expression mk2 1.4 16v pearl black

eggy radiator

Postby magnus1 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:27 pm

hi,
when ever i am driving and come to a stop and then i set off gain i have arealy strong smell of egg in my car, the same happens when i reverse, and its not something i could get used to to be honest, does anyone know what it could be and how it can be fixed? thanks

WebCode
Rally Driver

Re: eggy radiator

Postby WebCode » Thu May 22, 2008 12:40 pm

It is Sulphur Dioxide you are smelling.. This can be attributed to an number of things.. All of which are related to combustion. ie: Defective catalytic convertor, Lambda sensor, Coil pack, Spark Plug etc..

Have you had issues with misfiring in the past? If so then unburnt fuel will have spilled on to the Cat Monalyth, this fuel ignites in the Cat and quickly destroys it..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

magnus1

Postby magnus1 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:47 pm

when i start the car it sometimes takes 4-5 attempts for the car not to stall, even if i rev the car for 20-30 seconds it will still stall.
i it expensive to have it fixed?

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu May 22, 2008 3:19 pm

magnus1 wrote:when i start the car it sometimes takes 4-5 attempts for the car not to stall, even if i rev the car for 20-30 seconds it will still stall.
i it expensive to have it fixed?

Is it a 1.6vvt by any chance?

Failed Dephaser Pulley possibly? :conf Webcode, any further things to consider?
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Terabyt3
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 04 1.4 16v Megane 3dr

Postby Terabyt3 » Thu May 22, 2008 3:55 pm

the eggy smell definatly suggests a Cat problem. thats where id be pointing my shaking finger.... :-( i nearly bought a focus (don't hate me) from a friend until i got in it and smelt eggs. He thought it was his pollen filter and i had to break the news to him it was more likely his Cat. 2 days later he came back and called me alsorts of b******s for finding such an expensive fault lol. He traded it in though and jumped on the astra bandwagon and now looks like veryone else :)
'04 1.4 16v 3dr Extreme

magnus1

Postby magnus1 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:01 pm

na its a 1.4 16v.
by the last post i take it catalytic converters are expensiv to replace?
should be fun, got my MOT next month!
cheers for the help.

Terabyt3
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 04 1.4 16v Megane 3dr

Postby Terabyt3 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:07 pm

it depends really i had my cat exaust and downpipe go in my corsa and it was £220 for the lot which was cheap. My mate looked into gettin just his cat done on his focus and it was£300 :-(
'04 1.4 16v 3dr Extreme

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu May 22, 2008 7:39 pm

magnus1 wrote:na its a 1.4 16v.
by the last post i take it catalytic converters are expensiv to replace?
should be fun, got my MOT next month!
cheers for the help.

Check out everything Webcode mentioned but also search the forum for Throttle Body problems
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu May 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Rich mixture plus supermarket fuel. Switch to Shell and check the sensors, lambda sensor first.

The smell of rotten eggs, BTW, is not SO2, but hydrogen sulphide H2S, which does not change much in terms of diagnosis.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”