Screaming Turbo Problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bbr81

Screaming Turbo Problem

Postby bbr81 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:37 pm

I have a 52 plate new style megane phase 1, 1.9dci

Probably of the first run of meganes and possibly in the batch that had the trouble of faulty turbos, but mine never developed any problems. But now at just over 50,000 miles it no longer wistles but rather it screams!!

I have posted 2 videos to show this, well as best as my current phone picks up the sound.

Can anyone confirm if it is the turbo on its way out? Someone said it may be my cambelt (has not been replaced yet)? could it be a hole in the manifold or exahaust? Air filter was changed 6 months ago.

I'm hoping it's just getting older and the sound proofing is going as nearly 6 years old. The sound is louder than in the video footage and does actually sound pretty good when you boot it!! Performance is still good, accelerates just as good and fuel economy is still the same at around 40mpg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqjyWleFKg (windows down)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UacMOiZ2YwM

Any help most welcome, Thanks.

WebCode
Rally Driver

Re: Screaming Turbo Problem

Postby WebCode » Thu May 22, 2008 6:32 am

It certainly sounds like some damage to the Turbine/Impellor vains.. This could either have been caused by a foreign object getting into the inlet tract or more likely excess play in the turbine shaft bearing and vains have hit the turbo casing.

I would have the turbo examined ASAP

It would also be worth just checking all the turbo pipe connections for security just incase it is pressure leaking past a joint but unlikely in my opinion..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu May 22, 2008 9:36 am

In the first video when revs are approaching 4000prm the sound becomes "mechanical", as if the rotor catches something. This is exactly as Webcode says. Don't drive the car -- the turbine is already disintegrating and pieces of metal are already flying!

By the way, what oil did you use and how long were drain intervals? Is the crankcase ventilation system operational? Were there any warning lights/messages?

Thank you very much for the recordings. We should ask our Admins to include them in the FAQ section.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Thu May 22, 2008 5:30 pm

stickied instead

JIMR2
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Dynamique Tourer 1.5 dci

Postby JIMR2 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:16 pm

I bumped into someone the other day who said that 'by the sounds of it' had the same issue and then his turbo blew up , which was very costly to repair as you can imagine.
So probably best to get it checked immediately as per previous replies

secretman_z

Postby secretman_z » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:19 pm

Hey there ,
I had the same problem and it appeared to be the LITTLE FAN inside the TURBO " dont worry the turbo still works just fine " but u ve got an annoyin noise to deal with ...i had it changed cause apparently nobody can fix that little Fan ...
I told my friends that i HAD a new GTI TURBO and that how it sounded at first :devil then i got it changed.

Seeya

gavnaysh
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: megane dci 120 in blue 3 door

Postby gavnaysh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:11 pm

get turbo on ebay between 250-350£ not overly cheep but cheaper than renault im sure
its gone but not forgotten lol, but the A3 has more than filled the gap on the drive woo hoo i love it

brokenturbo
Currently Drives:: well doesn't drive a broken 1.9Dci megane

Postby brokenturbo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:33 pm

I have this problem at the moment, when the megane is accelerating through 3000 - 4500 revs the turbo screams,
there has been no power loss and if you close the window you can barely hear it :D :lol:

Looking to get it into a garage to be investigated asap,
will advise of what the nice friendly mechanic says and does to fix it
If it aint broke then try harder!!!

loolar
Currently Drives:: Megane II

Postby loolar » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:44 am

My first post so please understand I'm not a rev head at all and am very upset!!!!

My turbo was making a horrible noise and it got worse. A friend said he had this problem with his car and it blew the engine up, so I thought before this happened I would get it to the garage. I arranged with the garage for me to take it to him that evening. Then something started nagging me in my brain and decided to get the AA out. I moved the car in my work car park so the AA man could get to the car easily, and my car started to smoke badly. The AA man took one look and said turbo had gone and to get the car recovered. I did this and advised my garage of what had happened so far.

Well I left the car in the garage, and (have been told they pushed it into the garage) and said whilst they had it to do the timing belt as the car was on 71000miles. Plus to change the oil and filters.

I called the garage a few days later to be told that the car had the new turbo on it, BUT the engine had gone into over reving, and reved upto the rev limiter.
This very much concerned me but was not aware of the possible engine damage that is very likely to have been caused at this point. The garage told me they took the car to an auto electricians and got the trip comp reset and this sorted out the problem. (not a word again about damage) I don't know how they got the car to an auto electrician or if they came to the car. Again possible moving the car. The garage then carried on with the timing belt, I called and was told to come and collect the car the next day. I have also been told at some point the took the car out for a 2 mile run!

The next day I got a call 2 hours before going to collect it to be told the engine was knackered, and the pistons and seals in 3 & 4 were knackered.

One of my main questions, and it is a long way around it I know, is, is it possible to move a renault megane II with key recognition. As the steering lock comes on and I'm not aware of how to take the lock off without starting the car.

Could it be that the garage caused the damage? I feel like I'm having the wool pulled over my eyes for their negligence or is it me?

gavnaysh
Just Passed

Postby gavnaysh » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:09 pm

surely if its the rings that are knackered they should have noticed this before changing the turbo which they could have checked the turbo over easily and noway would any respectful garage change a expensive oart like the turbo just because the aa said so id be holding off payment and seeing whta they are going to do to sort it as they've changed a part they are now telling you didn't need changing
its gone but not forgotten lol, but the A3 has more than filled the gap on the drive woo hoo i love it

brokenturbo
Currently Drives:: well doesn't drive a broken 1.9Dci megane

Postby brokenturbo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:03 pm

brokenturbo wrote:I have this problem at the moment, when the megane is accelerating through 3000 - 4500 revs the turbo screams,
there has been no power loss and if you close the window you can barely hear it :D :lol:

Looking to get it into a garage to be investigated asap,
will advise of what the nice friendly mechanic says and does to fix it

Well guys a little update, if your turbo starts to make a little bit of noise and the nice man at the garage tells you it should be ok, and you turn up the music a little to ignore it DONT!!!!!!

En-route to work a couple of weeks ago the car lost all power, it was like driving a 1.9 diesel QE2, then the rev counter started to rise with no applicatipon of the accelerator, i stalled the car as quick as i could, without the rev's climbing above 3000, i had to leave the car all day by the side of the a1, got it recovered on my insurance and now it is sat outside my house looking all sorry for itself, now i am not a mechanic of any sort but i reckon the turbo has gone and i am hoping that no metal has gone into the engine and that i stalled it before the rise in revs could burn all my oil and cause some serious engine damage, anyone have any experience of removing a turbo?? any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated as to what steps i can take to rectify this problem, not having a god damn fortune to spend could make this very difficult i think

cheers BT
If it aint broke then try harder!!!

laguna steve
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9DCI Limited Edition Sport
Renault Laguna 3LT V6 (Modified/Show Car)

Postby laguna steve » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:34 am

Well,,,,

My turbo started to make a whistle type sound and the car got a little faster as the turbo was spooling quicker so i kind of ignored it, I was going to a customer one morning and after getting there i heard a load knocking sound, turned the engine off and left it. Went back a little later and it was fine, drove 500m down the road and the engine reved very high, and lots of thick black smoke came bellowing out of the exhaust, i knew then that the turbo had gone but in the process nearley caused an accident as the whole A4 was hided due to the smoke. The car was recovered, a new turbo was fitted and the intercooler and pipes were cleaned out and all was good. What i dident know was when it go,s boy dose it go, and sucks all the engine oil out through the intercooler, what a mess....

Liggy
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Black 2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege

Postby Liggy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:56 am

I got into my car and started it this morning. There was a wee puff of white smoke, but I just assumed that was something to do with a cold start or something, because it was freezing this morning. Well, I noticed going up the road that there was a slight whistling sound. Not a very loud sound, just a wee whistle when I took off in 1st gear. It didn't happen when switching to a higher gear. I haven't had any problems with the car, like, it's running fine. Although, if this turbo's starting to go, I won't be impressed, because Renault replaced my turbo a few months ago, as my previous one went. Do I have something to worry about, does anyone know? Sure a new turbo wouldn't start to go within a few months? It literally was replaced about 4 months ago at the most.
2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege 1.9DCI.

gavnaysh
Just Passed

Postby gavnaysh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:16 pm

turbos can go as often as they feel like tbh its in the warm up cool down process that saves them. if ive given mine some pedal i try to drive the last mile or 2 without letting the turbo spool up so as it gets turned off full of oil and let it have 30 seconds or so in the morning to get the oil round it before letting it spool. dont forget theses thing spinn at stupid rpm so need plenty of oil there! as long as first and last thing you take it easy on it it should last a while longer id have thought. but if not if renault did it 4 months ago surely they have parts/workmanship guarantee?!?

Sfurber123

Postby Sfurber123 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Hello all

This is probably a very stupid question but as you can tell i'm not the best with cars.

I have a 1.6 VVT Dynamique 5dr, does this have a turbo? Because i seem to have a similar problem of something screaming at me when i get to 3000revs but looking at the people on this post all of their cars seem to be a DCI version of the car. So basically just wondering does mine have a turbo or is it just the DCI models?

Many Thanks

Sam

x

Return to “Problems / Questions”