Extended Warranty

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kemp596
Passed Theory

Extended Warranty

Postby kemp596 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:57 am

HI i was just wondering if it is worth taking out an extended warranty either with renault or another company (could you recommend any), as I have had alot of trouble with my luckily it has been covered under warranty but Renault were trying to pass alot of it off as "Wear and Tear" any help would be appreciated, Thanks
2005 megane 1.9dci 3door, hologram grey, comfort pack, climate control

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Re: Extended Warranty

Postby Woody Woo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:04 am

I generally have a low opinion of after-market warranties.
If you go for one then check the small print very carefully for exactly what is and what isn't covered.

Renault Build A Better Car :-)

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:24 pm

In terms of big things that could go wrong I think its a good idea to have extended warranty

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:21 pm

I see no point -- it a very reliable car... as long as you understand it. So, there is no straight answer.
An option is to put £500 on a dedicated account and treat it as your warranty, which is pointless too, as credit cards exist for this matter.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

kemp596
Passed Theory

Postby kemp596 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:56 am

That seems the case with renaults, you either get a good one or like me a crap one, :mad but at the prospect of paying around £200 for get the drivers door handle button fixed im thinking about getting shut of it,
2005 megane 1.9dci 3door, hologram grey, comfort pack, climate control

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:48 am

The extended warranty will cost more than £200 ...
Paying that much for a button seems unreasonable. I would have tried to repair it myself. Well, I don't have this button as this and several other options looked as a potential hassle to me in the first place.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:20 am

Put it this way, if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time (beyond 60 000 miles) then I think its a good idea.

Mattj
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9 DCi

Postby Mattj » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:15 am

i paid £380 for a warranty from www.warrantydirect.co.uk and at the moment think im going to use every penny for which i paid - as the car below 60,000 they offer luxury care - which covers most things including glow plugs and the door handles etc and for £35 extra they cover the keycards - not bad as only gotta lose one keycard and then thats £120 from renault !!

my opinion is - if i had my 106gti then wouldnt bother as car was really easy to work on and that but the megane needs a computer every time something goes wrong and aint got time and patience to work on it - so all down to your own decision and what it practical to you.
Renault Megane II - 1.9 dCI

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:35 pm

Isn't it the other way round? One can't beat an insurance company in a long term. The same is with lottery. One can win occasionally, but on average you lose...

wanda wrote:Put it this way, if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time (beyond 60 000 miles) then I think its a good idea.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:04 pm

Sorry, I don't get it. The warranty is £380+35=£415 while the listed expenses are glow plugs at £30 a set changed every 2 years as a part of regular service, a door handle at £200 rip-off price replaced every 4 years worst case and a card dropped in public toilet twice a year :shock: . The expenses add up to 30/2+200/4+120*2=£305, which leaves you £110 to spare on replacement of wing mirrors twice, each.

On the other hand, I agree that it is "all down to your own decision and what it practical to you" [Mattj].

Mattj wrote:i paid £380 for a warranty from https://www.warrantydirect.co.uk and at the moment think im going to use every penny for which i paid - as the car below 60,000 they offer luxury care - which covers most things including glow plugs and the door handles etc and for £35 extra they cover the keycards - not bad as only gotta lose one keycard and then thats £120 from renault !!

my opinion is - if i had my 106gti then wouldnt bother as car was really easy to work on and that but the megane needs a computer every time something goes wrong and aint got time and patience to work on it - so all down to your own decision and what it practical to you.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Mattj
Just Passed

Postby Mattj » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:23 pm

AlexB wrote:Sorry, I don't get it. The warranty is £380+35=£415 while the listed expenses are glow plugs at £30 a set changed every 2 years as a part of regular service, a door handle at £200 rip-off price replaced every 4 years worst case and a card dropped in public toilet twice a year :shock: . The expenses add up to 30/2+200/4+120*2=£305, which leaves you £110 to spare on replacement of wing mirrors twice, each.

Well with the diasgnositcs etc so far its £202.00 - plus on top of this I'm gunna have the glow plugs + air con compressor + turbo hoses + door handle = far more than what i paid for a warranty !!

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:49 am

What happened to the aircon and the turbo hoses? Was it a regular aircon service or some other repair? What codes were read from the computer?

I guess, you bought this car used. It is strange that it has multiple independent faults. Under the circumstances you may be right regarding the extended warranty... :hmm
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Mattj
Just Passed

Postby Mattj » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:17 pm

Yeh those in addition too !!

I had the aircon serviced with my 54k service in november - you used to press the switch here the relay click in and then the compressor start up and extrememly cold air come out - now dont here the click !! checked fuses and that and all ok, so guessing the compressor ?!

I bought the car used from car giant !! i know some have had really good and some really bad experiences - they replaced the passengers door sensor before i got the car but now the drivers side has failed !!

Im not sure what codes were taken from the computer - all i got given was the invoice, as they sent a report to the warranty company (warranty direct) will get onto them in the morning to get a copy.
Car got to go back in wednesday to be "assessed" by the warranty company so lets see how many excuses they come up with !!

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:56 pm

It will refuse to click if the pressure of refrigerant is insufficient, as somebody explained. Aircons need to be regassed every 2 years, this is in theory. If you have climate control, then it can be something else -- read the manual:
https://meganedoksi.uw.hu/MEGANE_II/MR364MEGANE6.PDF
https://meganedoksi.uw.hu/MEGANE_II/MR366MEGANE6.PDF

Door sensors for the hands-free system are a bad idea, as the system itself. It is something one should be looking to downgrade from... I am suspecting that these sensors fail due to corrosion of connectors, which are easy to fix DIY at no cost, but they are not going to do it.

I would ask the garage or the insurance company for the codes. These will help to be in control of the situation. Many of them are explained in the manual, see my message in Links section. Good luck!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”