Scenic Owner - A Tale of Woe

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

yoshimi
Currently Drives:: Renault Scenic Grand

Scenic Owner - A Tale of Woe

Postby yoshimi » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi. Filling you in on some back story. Just so I can rant and feel better!

So I bought my Scenic Grande 54 plate in April 07. Didn't have any problems with it until it's warranty ran out at the end of last year, then everything seems to be going wrong with it.

First had an ignition coil go, ended up costing me approx £150.

Then the instrument panel went. Renault dealer quoted approx £550. Got on the phone with Renault who agreed to pay 70%, so ended up paying approx £140.

The day after we the instrument panel was replaced, we noticed the heater had stopped working properly. Seemed to me that the dealer had buggered something while fitting the instrument panel. Renault have promised to 'help me out again'. Renault dealer had the car in all day today. Didn't get a call, so ended up chasing dealer and Renault head office from 4pm. Ended up taking the car back at 5.45, unresolved because the dealer and head office didn't manage to speak to each other before the woman dealing with my case left for the day. So will need to speak to her tomorrow.

When I finally got to speak to the service guy at the dealer, he told me the problem was a heater transistor with would cost a staggering £300+ to fix! I can't believe the prices these guys get away with. Plus how am I to believe they didn't bugger the heater while fitting the instrument panel? The price broke down to £100 parts, £200 for 3.5 hours labour. The parts price broke down to approx £50 for the transistor, £30 for wires(!), £2 for screws and £9 for insulation tape (!!!! - christ how much tape do the need for this job, a dozen rolls?!?).

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Re: Scenic Owner - A Tale of Woe

Postby Woody Woo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 pm

Let's hope things will be better now on.

Renault Build A Better Car :-)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:51 pm

Looks like they forgot to connect something and now want to do a paid job instead of fixing their fault for free... There is always an option of going to an independent garage and claiming money back from the dealer later. In fact, you can potentially recover all your money, including the previous repair, as the instrument panel part was paid for by Renault.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

yoshimi

Postby yoshimi » Thu May 08, 2008 12:16 pm

Well dealer stuck with story that the heater transistor needed replaced. Renault paying 70% again.

My wife was driving it to the dealer today for the repair, and the car started shuddering. Looks like ANOTHER ignition coil. :cry

So now the cars back in for the heater repair - and won't be ready today as they'll not have time to run the £50 diagnostic and change the coil. :mad

Back to waiting for the elusive Julia Buttfield to call me back.

yoshimi

Postby yoshimi » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:43 am

Haven't updated this thread for a while, but had a few more problems with the Scenic.

Earlier in the year we had the heater transistor fail again!

Now another (3rd or 4th, I've lost count) ignition coil has failed.

Called Renault today and no help. Now outside the extended 4 year warranty on the coils. Very pissed off as when my others were replaced, no one mentioned 4 year warranty to me. :banghead

Also mentioned paying over £100 for my instrument panel replacement, and they've agreed to refund the difference if I can supply the invoice (which hopefully the dealer can reissue).

Bloody hate this car sometimes. And hate Renault even more.

yoshimi

Postby yoshimi » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 am

Renault quoting £135.01 to replace one coil or £189.52 to replace two.

Local garage charging £35 each!

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:00 pm

not a bad price - but what make of coil is this ?

for under £50 you can buy 2 coils from GSF or EuroCarParts (Beru seem to be acknowledged as been the best) and fit them yourself. It is the easiest DIY job possible.
see the common issues for a guide. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8855

Return to “Problems / Questions”