Wipers

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

gillyd88
Learner Driver

Wipers

Postby gillyd88 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:13 pm

God there doing my head in!

Ive bought 3 pairs within the last year and all bounced up the screen.

I tried halfords own, crap, as they left marks all over the screen, some from motorworld, bounced up the screen, and i have some bosch ones now, and surprise surprise they bounce.

Have tried cleaning them, bending the wipers and they breifly fix the problem and then they start bouncing again.

They are really winding me up when im driving, even with my music up i can hear them.

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can fix this problem or can anyone recommend any blades that dont bounce?

Cheers
Gilly- Megane 2008 3dr 2.0dci Renaultsport lux in Ultra Blue

STEVIE
Advanced Driver

Re: Wipers

Postby STEVIE » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi mate i bought some flat blade ones off ebay there great

steve
http://www.meganesport.net welcome all members of Megane II Owners Club

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:37 pm

Flat blades are great, also try cleaning the windscreen with an intensive cleaner, turtle wax do one in a blue bottle from what i remember, this will remove any car wax etc on the screen, i also use a water repellant like rain-x, beads the water off and at speed you dont need the wipers, de icing is a little easier and that fly squash comes off a bit better.
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

snowy
Just Passed

Postby snowy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:34 am

so, you remove car wax with intensive cleaner, then apply rain -x which is..... wax! :D

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 am

I went through a few sets of wipers and only retrofit Bosch flat wipers eliminated the noise. They are sold as a set that fits the old style arm (with a hook at the end). I ordered them from some UK web site dedicated to wipers at about 25-30 pounds (cannot remember).

I had no luck neither with standard Bosch nor with Valeo Silencio flat wipers. Careful with RainX, it may interfere with the rain sensor. Someone wrote about it a couple of years ago.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:11 pm

I went through loads of different ones for 3 years all noisy or smearing. Got tesco ones on now £2.97 each. Been on since November and still happy with them. Never use anything on screen and washing up liquid in the washers.

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Same here - had all sorts on both our Megs. Flat "aero" ones were best for a short time but recently I had my local motor factor "refill" my current blades on the 1.5 DCi - absolute magic!! No noise, smears, brilliant!. Just goes to show that sometimes expensive isn't always best! :D

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:12 am

snowy wrote:so, you remove car wax with intensive cleaner, then apply rain -x which is..... wax! :D

kind of droll mate.....its not like your body car wax and deffo not put it on paintwork, its upto you if you want a rain repellant, and as someone else mentioned dont put it on around rain sensor (if you are a flash git with all mods)

remember kids these are suggestions.........
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

pmoss
Passed Theory

Postby pmoss » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:03 am

nickbell69 wrote:I went through loads of different ones for 3 years all noisy or smearing. Got tesco ones on now £2.97 each. Been on since November and still happy with them. Never use anything on screen and washing up liquid in the washers.

I was told once never to use washing up liquid in your washer bottle as it has abbrasive salts and stuff in it which can be damaging to paint work

pete
1.6 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch 'Flame Red' on 17" Nervasports .... nice!

europa
Just Passed

Postby europa » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:37 am

No juddering or squeaking here - running original equipment wipers (yes I know they are expensive, but they seem to work fine!)

In the past, I have found RainX always causes some sort of wiper judder.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:44 pm

pmoss wrote:
nickbell69 wrote:I went through loads of different ones for 3 years all noisy or smearing. Got tesco ones on now £2.97 each. Been on since November and still happy with them. Never use anything on screen and washing up liquid in the washers.

I was told once never to use washing up liquid in your washer bottle as it has abbrasive salts and stuff in it which can be damaging to paint work

pete

Yeah i've heard that too and not to wash car with washing up liquid or put them through a car wash as all these damage paintwork, what the hell though i do all of them and have done for as long as i have had a car and never noticed any damage. Ok an "expert" might look at my car very close up and say its got minute scratches but your ordinary person is not going to notice anything. I give it a good T cut and polish about twice a year and all seems good. :-)

moobster

Postby moobster » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:07 pm

Just gonna add my 2p on this one.

I have had a similar experience to the OP - 3 sets of blades (Bosch, TP Standard & TP Retrofit) and all have juddered and squeeled to the point it's driving me mental.

I have tried to decontaminate the screen with vinegar, potatoes, various cleaning solutions etc etc.

In total, I reckon I've spent over £100 on windscreen wipers - which is preposterous.

I'm finally gonna buy the blades from the dealer as I believe the price has now come down to around £28 inc VAT.

The Negotiator
Learner Driver

Postby The Negotiator » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:43 pm

I wonder why there's such a difference in satisfaction with wiper blades, mine are excellent, both the standard fit ones I had and now retro-fit cheap branded flat blades. I guess it's something other than the wiper blades that's causing problems, something more fundamental particular to a car?
Was: '52 Megane 1.9dci dynamique with everything standard plus: electrically folding mirrors, handsfree locking, climate control, heated seats, panoramic glass roof, in-dash CD changer, TunePoint iPod, etc. etc.
Now: '55 Laguna Initiale

moobster

Postby moobster » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:21 pm

This thread got me thinking (read fixating) on my blades again - so I went to the dealer today and got a set of Motrio blades for £14.26 inc VAT.

So far, and from experience that's a lot, they've performed in total silence.

I will report back within a week, as given my experience this will be a total success.

Fingers crossed.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:53 am

moobster wrote:This thread got me thinking (read fixating) on my blades again - so I went to the dealer today and got a set of Motrio blades for £14.26 inc VAT.

So far, and from experience that's a lot, they've performed in total silence.

I will report back within a week, as given my experience this will be a total success.

Fingers crossed.

Motrio is Renault's budget brand & Renault premium OE wipers are made by Valeo.

Like everyone else I tried Bosch, Champion and Renault OE wipers on the Megane and found the OE ones to be the best. I did find that the secret to quiet wipers is to keep the windsreen free from grease and polish. So every time I wash the car I clean the screen afterwards. I find this a really good product https://www.kaisertech.co.uk/acatalog/Pr ... l_467.html

:cool:
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Return to “Problems / Questions”