Still having problems!!! 04 1.416v

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Still having problems!!! 04 1.416v

Postby keeforelli » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:02 am

hi guys

Im Back to the drawing board- after reading and posting on the forum and doing some research with regards to hot starting and acceleration probs i had the TDC sensor changed..(for one that renault has upgraded) and changed the coolant sensor, and also had 2 weeks before the entire engine management settings reset as on the diagnostic every single light lit up- which was put down to the car having had a flat battery at some point in its life.- this all seemed to work, the car accelerated and sounded like it should, and even started when hot- FOR TWO DAYS!!!!..then lo and behold we are back to not running well.- what i have to assume is it must be something to do with the ECU or a sensor for it to work well after being reset, but then revert back to the way it ran before. the car just seems hesistant, especially if you accelerate in a higher gear from a lower speed..say from 30 MPH in 3rd...and bizarrely in a complete change to when i first got it, has been running better when cold- does anyone have any ideas- ive seen posts for having the injection computer reprogrammed, cleaning the throttle body, and checking the air intake pipe- but some of these seemed to apply to a 1.6vvt- no warning lights come on at any point.- could a long fast blast on the motorway sort it?- renault tell me the ECU adapts to driving style and i have only done short journeys recently.

it is an 04 1.4 16v, FSH and 33000m

Any ideas would be welcome. :conf
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Re: Still having problems!!! 04 1.416v

Postby keeforelli » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:06 am

NB- have also reported the issue to renault UK and emailed them the you tube link to the similar 1.4 issue experienced on here, to try to get them to admit they had problems with this engine and model- however the reply i got was basically they were sorry but dealerships run seperately as franchises to them and they must be my first port of call....which was not what i had asked them..

EXASPERATED!!

Jimbo86
Passed Theory

Postby Jimbo86 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:11 pm

The ECU does adapt to your driving style. Mine does as during the week its constantly stuck in congestion in Manchester, then it gets a blast down the motorway at the weekends to my girlfriends in Birmingham, which puts it back into check.

Have Renault cleaned the throttle body?? I had the same problem with my 1.4 Megane and mums Scenic and its cured both of them. Renault also said if this procedure didn't work, they would change the coolant sensor and TDC sensor, but neither has had to be replaced.

Be warned though, if the car is out of warranty, Renault will charge you for cleaning the throttle body, they tried doing that to me until I blasted them about my extended warranty virtually been useless.
Megane II - 1.4 16v Dynamique 5dr - 2004 (UK
Scenic II - 1.4 16V Dynamique - 2004 (UK)
Scenic II - 1.5 dCi 86bhp Latitude - 2008 (France)

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:08 pm

hey!!!

thanks for that!! ..its appreciated!!..no renault havent cleaned the throttle body yet..its my next move- how much does it cost?.....and it made a noticeable difference?....ill book it in!!!

i just want the car to pull like it should, tho saying that i did take the car on a 60 mile M way blast to try to bed in the TDC sensor and since then it has behaved itself better!!..inc starting when hot...but yeh throttle body cleaning it is next!!

Jimbo86
Passed Theory

Postby Jimbo86 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:24 pm

No worries.

I havent a clue how much they will charge, mine was in the garage for 6 hours when they returned to say they had cleaned the throttle body as they were trying to locate the problem as it was not coming up with any errors on the diagnostics.

Although mine was 6 hours, my mums was only an hour waiting, as I then knew what the problem was and demanded it be checked 1st before anything else to do with sensors and wasting more of my time with their coffee machines. But both cars were done under their extended warranties after I dished out the threat of court action against the dealer for the false sale of warranties, and court action against the warranty company for a different issue, plus also embarrasing the salesmen who sold us both cars, who then tried to get the mechanics to get the job done as quickly as possible as I need the car for work at all times.

Renault did charge me £40 labour though for 45 mins work the other week to replace a CV boot joint clip that had snapped, so I guess it will be one hour labour charges, maybe more, but I would have a pop at them if they go above two hours as its not only your time there wasting, but there own and trying to gain money at the same time.

As for making a difference, well both havent stalled on start up....yet...even when the engine is stone cold or warm, and my car in partic is feeling much more responsive like it was when i brought it, throttle response is there when you need it and it can certainly shift now, much to my girlfriends disgust lol, and the MPG has improved :shock: but this maybe down to the service it had just before the throttle body was cleaned.

Hope you get it sorted, as I know how frustrating the problem is, Renault really do need to get their backsides into gear when common problems crop up, including this problem, but also the 1.6 VVT engines problems and the Clio bonnet latches, as I have had that too in my girlfriends car with no apologises from anyone at Renault, blaming me for poor maintainence of the bonnet latch :eek in a legal row with them about that too atm.
Megane II - 1.4 16v Dynamique 5dr - 2004 (UK
Scenic II - 1.4 16V Dynamique - 2004 (UK)
Scenic II - 1.5 dCi 86bhp Latitude - 2008 (France)

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:21 pm

on your advice i phoned the local dealer to quote the throttle body work and they said an hour and a half labour plus VAT i gather which came to £170 so their labour rates must be enormous!!!- i don't have the extended warranty...the car is i believe quite dangerous in its variation in responsiveness..one minute it flies, and then it hesitates..just got back in from a short journey and at 40 in 3rd gear it had nothing...yet yesterday the thing was great...on the dual carriage ways around here i need to know the car will respond and it simply doesn't. Im very very frustrated...it really bothers me that i paid out for something BECAUSE it was a newer car with low mileage to avoid trouble and thats all i have had....never had a car with this kind of prob..and im tied into it through finance!!!...agh!!!

thanks for your help..it makes me feel better simply sounding off....its gonna be a while till i can have any more work done with it as MOT and TAX due now..never ending...at least i know there can be some hope.

TA!!!!

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi mate

Just been having a quick read through your problems, it's probably not much help but my 1.4 went into the stealers (while under warranty) for a job on the rear brakes, when I collected it they said that they had done a "software update" on the car - I didn't ask for this and it was nothing to do with the brakes but I did notice an improvement on mid range power and as a bonus fuel consumption was a little better! I don't have a clue what the update was called or why they thought my car needed it but it may be something to work on!

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:09 pm

hi there!!!

this is all good stuff!!!..thanks, i will def see what i can do with that..tho im sure knowing renault, it may not be cheap!!!....had you had any isues with your 1.4 b4 the update that you remember?

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:13 pm

NB..i notice you wrote 'the stealers'?...play on words or a spelling mistake....neat..and apt for my local renault stealership!!!...who would have thought renault mechanics were paid as much as the CEO!!!!

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:39 pm

Play on words mate! Stealership is in my opinion quite apt!!! :D

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:40 pm

i now hate this car!!!!.....tonight the hesitancy is worse than ever!!!..i cannot afford constant garage trips.

I WANT A CAR THAT RUNS THE WAY IT SHOULD!

72uoba
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Laguna 2007 GT 175

Postby 72uoba » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:33 pm

I had this problem (and uploaded youtube video). Renault replaced my coolant temp sensor. Everything worked for a year and then same problem recurred. Hesitancy because car was running cold settings etc. No problem found. So, I removed wiring connector to collant sensor and found lots of green corrosion. I gave it a good brush and clean and sprayed it with WD40. Everything had been fine since. Hope this helps ;)

snowy
Just Passed

Postby snowy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:50 pm

where abouts is the coolant sensor then..any pics? plz. :D

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:06 pm

hey 72uoba..this sounds like a good call...my car runs differently but still not absolutley right since i had the sensors changed.....is this a simple job to do?...me being a complete novice!!

Return to “Problems / Questions”