Bulb replacement

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

GTDave
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 08 Megane 2.0DCi GT 150 Mineral Blue 3 Door Sport hatch - Tune Point - Folding Mirrors - Handsfree Card - Phone Kit

Bulb replacement

Postby GTDave » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi All,

Seen a few articles on here explaining the problems of headlamp bulb replacement....

It is just the main / dipped beam bulbs that are complicated by this or is it also a pain in the @ss to change the side light and indicator bulbs?

Cheers

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Re: Bulb replacement

Postby robznet » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi Dave

All the bulbs contained within the headlight itself are changed through the holes in each wheelarch, they are a pain in the rear but if you have changed a "normal" headlight bulb, ie: one you can see while you are changing it, you will know by "feel" what you are doing. I'm not saying it's an easy job but if it's a nice day and not too cold you will get a certain satisfaction from doing it yourself and saving mega bucks by not taking it to your local stealership! :D

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

robznet
Advanced Driver

Postby robznet » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Forgot to add - there are many posts on the MOC regarding the above if you are not too sure!

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:10 pm

As above run search on site for run down, grab a large insulated mug of tea, couple of plasters, a sense of humour and relaxed state of mind and go save yourself some money
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

robznet
Advanced Driver

Postby robznet » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:20 pm

An addition to Bumpy's checklist above I would add at least half a bottle of scotch! But only if you are not planning to drive!!! :D

Regards

Rob

GTDave
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 08 Megane 2.0DCi GT 150 Mineral Blue 3 Door Sport hatch - Tune Point - Folding Mirrors - Handsfree Card - Phone Kit

Postby GTDave » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:07 am

haha good stuff...

thanks for the advice guys!

have changed all the bulbs on my clio so should be ok me thinks... tend to do most of the simple stuff myself such as brake pads, discs etc...

anything to save a renault bill (otherwise known as a slap in the face)...

Cheers

JPB
Passed Theory

Postby JPB » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:19 pm

Kinda on the same subject. I've just replaced my dipped headlight bulbs, and they seem to be duller than the original ones. I replaced them with Philips Vision bulbs which I thought would be brighter than the OEM ones. I know that the original bulbs where philips as well. Is it just a case that I need to get the next grade of bulb up, or is it possible that the new bulbs haven't been fitted correctly, or are not suited to the reflectors in the headlight. Any thoughts, recommendations on the best bulbs to fit. :idea:
So Good We have two. Well that's what I Thought at First:

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:41 pm

They won't be brighter as such as legally you're only meant to have 55/60W bulbs in your car anyway.

You'd only notice them being more whiter perhaps.

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:44 pm

make sure any bulbs you buy a uv filtered or you will damage the headlight plastic, there are plenty of bulbs claiming brighter light, but as mentioned above it tends to be whiter, ive used phillips 30% brighter before but did not notice that much and believe they burnt out quicker.........
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Wideawake
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 dCi
Megane GT dCi 150 - soon!

Postby Wideawake » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:38 pm

Having watched the fitter struggling for 15 minutes to replace the left hand indicator bulb, I really didn't mind paying the £20.00 or so to have it done for me - especially when I had to take the car back in 2 weeks later when the bulb stopped working. Corroded bulb holder probably, but didn't cost me anything this time :-)

Oh, by the way, the 15 minutes fitting was with the car on a ramp so the fitter could reach into the small opening in the wheel arch!
Megane GT dCi 150
Megane 1.9 dCi

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Having followed all the advice on here about headlight bulb replacement, it took me two hours to remove the old bulb! the only probblem is, I can't get the retaining clip back on to hold the new bulb in, are there any easy ways to do it? Or is purseverance the answer? I now have a nice big blister on my thumb!

Chris :evil:
My other car is an ambulance!

Return to “Problems / Questions”