Megane GT 150 DCI Hell

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Killhippie
Currently Drives:: 08 Renaultsport DCI 175 Lux

Megane GT 150 DCI Hell

Postby Killhippie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:56 pm

Last year we bought a Megane GT 150 DCI, from the outset it had issues, blowing blue smoke, clutch making odd noises, water ingress into a break sensor, CD multi changer not working, then it went in for work, new clutch master cylinder, new Brake master cylinder and servo at 6mths old (one and the same I think) at this point it still was making clouds of blue smoke so we told Renault Seaward in Portsmouth we were very unhappy and wanted a new car, this they did, they have been more than helpful, Today 8 Months after buying it and five days before we pick up the 08 plate one we get a call saying our new one is "broken" it has leaking from the clutch somewhere and a repair looks like it was done at the factory which Renault UK say did not happen, our dealership is rejecting the car, it also blows blue smoke. Now We don't know what to do, do all 150 DCI engines have blue smoke at start up, and I mean clouds of it not just a little, or is it just the GT? We said we do not want the GT any more and basically want a DCI 175, does anyone know if this is a different engine? The car was bought on finance, a loan arranged by Renault and we have to go see our dealership Monday to discuss this issue, any help or advice would be great, right now we feel cheated and out of pocket, Seward Portsmouth are great and very helpful, but they have to face Renault UK and also do not want to be the loser of cash themselves, that is not our issue though but I can see their point, but the thing is we have a car losing value that needs replacing not due to any fault of our own with issues from new, and a new one that is not fit for purpose. We are feeling very lost as to our next step :shock:
Pearl black 08 Renaultsport DCI 175 Lux, 18" alloys, full leather, 60 watt Cabasse 6 CD changer

Celticking
Passed Theory

Postby Celticking » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:05 am

I have an 07 plate GT DCi and I have also had a lot of problems, all electrical however. Mine has been in and out of the dealer about 7 times in total for a variety of electrical problems. Thankfully not had anything mechanical as such and the electrics seem to be sorted. I have never had the blue smoke issue that I have seen on the posts.
As far as the engine I believe the 175 is the same unit as the GT just tuned differently.
Mine is a company beast so I couldnt reject it!!!!

Shame really as it performs quite well when you get past the issues, its also reasonably rare (Anyone with sense waited till the 175 was out) so you don't see that many on the road.

Killhippie

Postby Killhippie » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:14 am

Thanks for the reply, we are going to ask for 175, after two GT's one thats now only doing 43 to the gallon on long runs with loads of issues and a new one that was broke before we picked it up, we wont have a GT again, as you said its a great car but twice bitten..... I'll report back after we have seen the dealers and after the calls from Renault UK on monday as well about what happens. :cry:
Pearl black 08 Renaultsport DCI 175 Lux, 18" alloys, full leather, 60 watt Cabasse 6 CD changer

Killhippie

Re: Megane GT 150 DCI Hell

Postby Killhippie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:02 pm

Just wanted to let people know that a year to the day after picking up our Megane GT we now have a Renault Sport DCI LUX 175 thanks to Seawards Portsmouth, who fought our corner and got us a replacement car, its running better than the GT ever did and we are getting 46mgp at 1500miles after about 6 weeks of ownership, which is more than we got from the GT at 8000 miles, the Operations Director for Renault Seaward a Mr Shaun Perry helped us throughout the issue and got us the replacement car, we are more than happy and it shows how good Renault Seaward Portsmouth are in my mind. Sorry the picture is a bit grainy it was getting dark when we took it but we are happy Renault customers again :D Image

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:40 pm

a beautiful car.

at last renault looks after someone!!!
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

Celticking
Passed Theory

Postby Celticking » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:01 pm

The new car is a beauty thats for sure

I think you have just been unlucky on the GT front, I still have mine and have had no further issues since the initial electrical issues. I am now almost 18 months into my 3 year lease having done 27k, I am now getting 50mpg and still no blue smoke.

Would still have prefered the DCi 175 (like yours :evil: )

I really hope your new car works out better than the GT ever did.

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Postby Toosh » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:05 pm

What a great outcome, you must be really happy.

New Megane looks brilliant, i want one :-( :lol:
Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

Killhippie

Postby Killhippie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:43 am

Celticking wrote:The new car is a beauty thats for sure

I think you have just been unlucky on the GT front, I still have mine and have had no further issues since the initial electrical issues. I am now almost 18 months into my 3 year lease having done 27k, I am now getting 50mpg and still no blue smoke.

Would still have prefered the DCi 175 (like yours :evil: )

I really hope your new car works out better than the GT ever did.
Cheers, we were told the blue smoke was a feature of the engine, but I did point out all the other cars using the 2L 150 DCI didn't blow blue smoke, I think you were right, we were in the garage so many times with the GT, lets keep our fingers crossed, it drives like a beast and sticks to the road like glue, but those conti sport contacts are not going to last thats for sure, reckon we could get away with Premium contacts, oh and the tyre pressure monitors each time of course :roll:

Killhippie

Postby Killhippie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:48 am

keeforelli wrote:a beautiful car.

at last renault looks after someone!!!
Took a fight mind you, and a long one, but Shaun Perry did know his stuff and was constantly giving Renault UK an earful without his support it may have gone to court, which we said we were happy to do, after consulting a solicitor. When the second GT they got us leaked clutch fluid into the drivers footwell it helped, as Seaward had to reject that car themselves leaving us with no replacement and that was 4 days before the changeover, that one also blew blue smoke.
Last edited by Killhippie on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killhippie

Postby Killhippie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:55 am

Toosh wrote:What a great outcome, you must be really happy.

New Megane looks brilliant, i want one :-( :lol:
We are but as to will we stay with Renault, well that's another story, the next buy may well be Japanese unless the new style Meganes improve in quality drastically, but for now we have a great car and that's fun to drive again, and has that individual look which is why we went for a Megane with its love/hate rear anyway :D

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:11 pm

Fantastic result and hats off to the dealer for standing by you. I mean, that's what all delaers should do but unfortunately it's a bit of a rarity these days.

The new car looks the muts nuts by the way 8-)
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Killhippie

Postby Killhippie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:09 am

Stranger wrote:Fantastic result and hats off to the dealer for standing by you. I mean, that's what all dealers should do but unfortunately it's a bit of a rarity these days.

The new car looks the muts nuts by the way 8-)
We were lucky with Renault Seaward, they really do look after their customers, its funny, but another Renault Dealer nothing to do with Seaward within a few miles of them is in my opinion not so great, having had dealings with them in the past. Cars they serviced were left in a dirty and somewhat unfinished state of Valet, or worse still scratched or with parts not put in (they forgot the auto rain sensor and put the wipers on at such a angle they hit the trim after replacing a windscreen) this other garage also could not cure the knocking sound that our 54 plate 1.9 DCI had on lock to lock and actually swapped an Alloy they damaged with one off a forecourt car in front of my wife! Seaward in Portsmouth cured the knocking issue in a few hours, we hit lucky with good mechanics and quality help, as we all know it's a minefield buying a new car these days and more so a French one sometimes, so all the help you can get is worth its weight in gold. Thanks for the compliment on our new car, she drives beautifully :cool:

megsal
Currently Drives:: 2008 megane sport saloon 1.9dci

Postby megsal » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:37 pm

WOW! What a great outcome, we have just brought an '08' 1.9dci megane and guess what, its gone back to the dealers after only five weeks and 2k on the clock . Problems started two weeks ago, car nearly cut out doing 70 mph down the 3rd lane of the m25; scary or what, then the car would not do more that 30-40 up hills, first thing in the morning the car kangaroos down the road for the first 5miles or so....I took a look at the engine and it appear to have some marks on the cam cover and also the top of the engine block; renault had a look today and say they must have done something in the factory!...but here comes the classic, when we picked the car up we got half way home [Renault Croydon-Hastings] I went to adjust the lumber support on the drivers seat and guess what no adjuster wheel; spindle under cloth but not through the cloth; told this is a mis-build and would have new seat fitted; gone into renault today and they are going to cut a hole in the side of the seat and fit the knob on....my wife is not a happy bunny and if all the faults are not sorted we may go down the same route as you did as this car could have killed us on the m25; not a good start to owning a new car, infact , we have started to lose faith in it...the last two weeks we where afaid to go out incase we broke down. Anyway there you go moan over, we will see what happens as I have little faith; if your intrested I will keep you updated...ttfn

Killhippie

Postby Killhippie » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:33 am

megsal wrote:WOW! What a great outcome, we have just brought an '08' 1.9dci megane and guess what, its gone back to the dealers after only five weeks and 2k on the clock . Problems started two weeks ago, car nearly cut out doing 70 mph down the 3rd lane of the m25; scary or what, then the car would not do more that 30-40 up hills, first thing in the morning the car kangaroos down the road for the first 5miles or so....I took a look at the engine and it appear to have some marks on the cam cover and also the top of the engine block; Renault had a look today and say they must have done something in the factory!...but here comes the classic, when we picked the car up we got half way home [Renault Croydon-Hastings] I went to adjust the lumber support on the drivers seat and guess what no adjuster wheel; spindle under cloth but not through the cloth; told this is a mis-build and would have new seat fitted; gone into renault today and they are going to cut a hole in the side of the seat and fit the knob on....my wife is not a happy bunny and if all the faults are not sorted we may go down the same route as you did as this car could have killed us on the m25; not a good start to owning a new car, infact , we have started to lose faith in it...the last two weeks we where afaid to go out incase we broke down. Anyway there you go moan over, we will see what happens as I have little faith; if your intrested I will keep you updated...ttfn
I would say you are very unhappy with the car and due to it being a "mis build" reject it and ask that it be replaced, if you have a finance loan the company are equally responsible so contact them, my advice is if you are unhappy fight and say you do not want the car, contact trading standards and they will give you advise and see a solicitor, You should take photos or videos of issues with the car and keep them, we had our GT in the garage so many times we lost faith in the car, but its always going to be a fight, Renault UK will want to offer anything else but a new car, so get backup go in determined but not aggressive, swearing will not get you anywhere, and state your case, keep all evidence and emails and hope the garage support you. Good luck and remember you are in the right and since the loss of power was dangerous that's the one to pursue as it effects your safety. Also ask to speak to the Manager of the franchise, go straight to the top, they are the people who have the power to help, Keep us posted and good luck, but get all the facts and information you need, so you know your rights at any meeting and do not be intimidated. :cool:

megsal
Currently Drives:: 2008 megane sport saloon 1.9dci

Postby megsal » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:12 pm

Thanks for the advice...the car is with 'Renault Croydon' and we will see what they find! I agree that there is a point to make about the loss of power and our safety, this is the route we would pursue! We have been here before with an item we purchaced a few years ago and went down the ' Fit for purpose ' route; after a long battle we did get a satisfactory outcome...As I said, the car is with Renault now, but yesterday a lady rung and told me that she was just letting me know that they had ordered a new door handle; 'Why' I asked ' There is nothing wrong with the door',- after some time she came back and said a new seat handle had been ordered; told her it was lumber adjuster that needed ordering; so god knows what we will find when we go and have a look at the car, which is 50 miles from where we live...Thanks again, will keep you updated on any outcome, and what they find/or not! as the case may well be!!!!

Return to “Problems / Questions”