Injection Fault & STOP 1.5 DCI

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Re: Injection Fault & STOP 1.5 DCI

Postby dry_flood » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:34 pm

Couldnt get dialogys to work and searched the pdf's that were included but cannot find the ones for the Megane II aybe I downloaded an old one. Oh well.... the search continues.

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:07 am

Finally found a working version of Dialogys but the workshop manuals are in russian lol.
Does anyone have the megane workshop manuals in English?

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi there - PM Me!

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:08 pm

Pm sent

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Update:

Received a call from the engine rebuilder to tell me my car was ready to collect :o

Got to the garage and he explained what work he had done.

1.) Wet compression test (renault only did a dry test) determined there was no engine damage so the head didnt have to be taken off. Low compression was down to "fuel wash"
2.) went to remove the glow plugs and Renault had very badly cross threaded one when they put it back into cylinder 2. :banghead Mechanic said it looked like they had forced it all the way in even though it was x-threaded. He actually had a trip of trainee mechanics from the local college due to visit his workshop for a talk so he waited till they arrived and asked the lecturer if we would do an independant report on the condition of the thread etc. Apparently I owe this chap a pint lol.
3.) Remove cylinder head, re-tap the thread that Renault cocked up. While he had the head off he inspected / cleaned everthing he could
4.) Fit cylinder head
5.) Remove all injectors and send for testing / re-conditioning with new nozzles (recieved a guarentee and certificate from local delphi garage who conducted the work)
5.) Remove fuel tank and drain contaminated fuel, clean tank and refit
6.) Drain the rest of the fuel system
7.) Remove fuel filter and replace
8.) Fit reconditioned injectors
9.) Fit 2 new glow plugs
10.) Oil & Filter Change

He also changed 2 belts while he had the head off but I cant remember which ones.

Total cost £704.29 :dance
I was expecting this to cost around 2K

The car feels like a new car, is this down to the new injector nozzles?

I have already rang Renault and informed them that a copy of the mechanics report and the bill will be heading there way as the head had to be removed and a thread had to be re-tapped due to their monkeys negligence.

Gaz

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Well done and what a story! :tu
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Teddy Lad
Currently Drives:: Fiat punto!!! Looking into buying a megane 2.

Postby Teddy Lad » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:19 pm

Noticed a pattern in this thread correct me if im wrong but aren't all these cars 2003 models?

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:24 pm

my issues were caused by contaminated fuel.

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:30 pm

Well 1 month on and I suppose I owe you all an update.

Since getting the car back my wife has racked up around 200 miles. We were going on holiday so the night before we were due to set off I went down to shell and filled the tank with their premium diesl (£73!!!!!! :eek.

I travelled half a mile before the "check injection" message appeared on screen..... I pulled over just as the car cut out. The car wouldnt restart and the engine was already wamed up so I knew it wasnt a glow plug. I rang the RAC to tow me back to the garage.

Hooked it up to the computer and it was showing low fuel pressure. He removed the injection pump and sent it away for testing. The results came back............... the pump dead and its guts have disintegrated, this in turn has wiped out all 4 injectors.

The garage are still waiting for the new injectors to come in but have told me that my bill is going to be around £1400 for all the work needed.

Will they have to drain the tank as well?

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:29 pm

ok so 2 weeks later and im still without a car.

The garage have fitted the new injection pump and 4 new injectors. Primed it and it stared first time.
They took it for a test drive and if you drive slowly or moderatley its fine but if you take it up between 4k - 4.5k revs it runs lumpy and goes into limp home mode. The fault is showing low fuel pressure. If they reset the fault it starts and runs fine.

The garage are now stumped, they are taking the new pump back out and sending it back to the delphi garage for another bench test, they think it could be the regulator on the pump. Failing that they think it is the fuel pressure sensor on the rail, but guess what...... you cant just buy the sensor, you have to buy a new rail at a cost of £180 + vat. The garage are determined to find the cause without throwing money at parts. They rang renualt whilst I was there and they gave them a list of 8 parts to replace when a low fuel pressure fault is detected, the mechanic explained that in the real world it is only dealers that rip people off like that!!!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:20 pm

I have just been down and collected the 2 fault codes from the garage.

DF052 & DF053

DF052 - circuit commande injecteurs - translates to "circuit orders injecting" anyone have any idea?
DF053 - Rail Pressure Regulation Function

The garage have ordered a new rail & sensor, anyone know what the other one is?

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:24 pm

dry_flood wrote:I have just been down and collected the 2 fault codes from the garage.

DF052 & DF053

DF052 - circuit commande injecteurs - translates to "circuit orders injecting" anyone have any idea?
DF053 - Rail Pressure Regulation Function

The garage have ordered a new rail & sensor, anyone know what the other one is?

Gaz

After ringing Renault they have told me that fault code DF052 means that the new injectors havent been coded to the ECU. Rang back the garage and they have got a delphi engineer coming in tomorrow to do it. Renault also think that this may be the reason that DF053 is showing too. Once the injectors have been coded I will take it for a run with the mechanic to see how it goes. Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!

Gaz

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Yes, the injectors are responsible for pressure control and they must be programmed according to the numbers stamped on them. I hate to say it again, but it is all in the manual...

There was probably petrol mixed with red derv or some exotic bio-recepie in that contamination incident. I feel really sorry for you, Gaz.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Ok, I have had my car back for a week and am pleased to say that it runs great but..... it is having starting issues.
If i hold the gas pedal down while starting it then it will start, give it a few revs and then it ticks over. If i do not hold the pedal then it starts but dies after a couple of seconds.

I have checked the fuel lines and the pipe coming from the tank to the filter has air bubbles in it.

I have followed both pipes out of the filter going to the pump.

This pipe (green bit on connector) has no air in it

This pipe (blue bit on connector) looks like its full of foam, is this the pump sending unused fuel back to the tank?

This is the same pipe as the first pic (just after priming bulb)I took this picture after I had turned off the engine. You can see the air in it.

If I leave the car ovrnight this pipe is nearly empty so I'm sure this is whats causing the starting issues but I do not know why it is full of air? The tank is full of shell premium diesel.

Any ideas?

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi Gaz,

I don't know how it is done in 1.5dci, but in 1.9dci there is no low pressure pump. The high pressure pump sucks the fuel in directly from the tank, thus keeping the pipe under negative pressure. Long ago I had a discussion with someone who had a pin-hole dedect in a pipe, which caused bubbles and non-starting issues. The same bubbles can form foam in the return pipes due to the action of injectors. The person in question discovered a pin-hole in the middle of the clear pipe where it was rubbing against something. It was difficult to spot and there was no puddle of fuel under it.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”