Injection Fault & STOP 1.5 DCI

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

gavinc
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Silver 2004 15 dci

Re: Injection Fault & STOP 1.5 DCI

Postby gavinc » Tue May 20, 2008 7:17 pm

hi mine done the same month ago it was the deisel i got from tesco southport look at pip were pump is mine had foam in i just pumped it and lights off hope this helps :cool:
silver 15 dci no mods as yet//

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Wed May 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Update:

I had the RAC out today and a very helpful guy who spent over an hour trying to diagnose the problem.

He disconnected the black tube from the air filter and sprayed a flammable gas into the air intake. The engine started straight away and continued to run quite happily once he stopped spraying although it wouldn't start a second time unless he used the spray. He thinks that it is low fuel pressure causing the issue??

They have towed the car to a local garage with the correct software to read the ECU as his computer doesn't have the software for the 1.5dci engine, which to be honest is quite shocking for a car that is 5 years old!. He couldn't connect on the generic OBD?? connection either. I mentioned that I think the Clio has the same engine and even though he had the software for the 1.5 Dci Clio, he didnt want to try in case it erased any codes that were already stored as this would make the problem harder to diagnose once successfully connected????

I should have a diagnosis by tomorrow afternoon, just hope it is a faulty fuel pump or a sensor instead of the high pressure pump (injection pump?) as this costs £480 from Renault :cry

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Wed May 21, 2008 3:28 pm

gavinc wrote:hi mine done the same month ago it was the deisel i got from tesco southport look at pip were pump is mine had foam in i just pumped it and lights off hope this helps :cool:

I have tried this, there was air in the tubes and i had read about air ingress through the fuel filter so I replaced that and pumped through until no bubbles, also bled the fuel filter to ensure all air was out but Renault told me that it selfs bleeds anyway so I don't think is the issue.

Thanks for the comment though, much appreciated.

Gaz

James
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi

Postby James » Thu May 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Had my car towed in yesterday as the stop light and the injection fault light came on again but was really down on power and a bit hessitant when accelerating.

Only problem now is when renault manage to get chance to look at my car as they fully booked till tue!!

James

Postby James » Tue May 27, 2008 10:00 am

Well had got my car back after they have said they cannot find anything wrong with it!!! So now i havent got a clue what to do with it.

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Tue May 27, 2008 2:37 pm

I'm still waiting for my garage to get back to me about mine. They have had it nearly a week but because of the bank holiday they didn't work over the weekend or Monday like they normally would.

I'm hoping to have a diagnosis by the end of today or tomorrow.

Seems a little strange that they cant find anything wrong with your car. Have you got air bubbles in your fuel line? its on the top left hand side under the bonnet and has a black bulb that you squeeze to pump it through. If that has bubbles in that can cause the problem. I read somewhere about air ingress through the fuel filter so it might be worth changing that but run it for a few days and see if it continues to do it. Mine started like yours and then just gave up the ghost and refused to start.

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Thu May 29, 2008 4:32 pm

I have just had a call from the garage saying that the car is ready to pick-up. The receptionist couldn't tell me what was wrong, just told me to speak to the mechanic in the morning. I'm hoping that it isn't going to be too expensive as I told them diagnose the problem but not carry out any work without my permission. So it might be a nice cheap bill........yeah right!

James

Postby James » Thu May 29, 2008 5:02 pm

Proberbly the same as mine and they couldnt find anything :-)

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Fri May 30, 2008 5:29 pm

Went to the garage this morning to collect the car and the mechanic came out to see me. Guess what........they dont know whats wrong. They have tried 4 different computers trying to connect to the engine management system but they have all failed. He says that he can connect to everything else just none of the live values from engine.
After paying a bill for £100 (2 hours labour) I started the car and drove home. Parked up outside my house and all was well.......until I jumped in it an hour later and nothing. The engine wouldnt even turn over, just the error message "injection failure" on the screen. I rang the garage back and told them to come pick it back up and the mechanic, after speaking to Bosch(delphi ecu???), has said that the ECU is buggered. They have taken it out and will be sending it to a local company to be repaired/rebuilt on monday.
Once that is done, the garage can then hopefully connect to the engine managment system and actually diagnose the problem.

What does everyone else think?

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 pm

update:

The garage have removed the ECU, after a lot of swearing and removing most of the contents of the engine bay it finally came out. It is now off to a company in Derby to so if its repairable. If not i'm hoping they can at least copy the data from it so I can go get one from a scrappers and have it re-programmed with the data from the old one. Failing that, Renault want £1000 plus 3 hours diagnostic to re-program a new one :banghead

Does that price sound right?

Gaz

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:40 pm

In case of replacement everything will need to be programmed by Renault, I am afraid. It is a security feature, which is supposed to be difficult to crack...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:36 am

Just a quick update:

The ECU has been passed on to a 4th company. None of the previous places had the software or tools to carry out work on this brand of ECU. The place it is at now is a DELPHI recommended repair center. Hopefully they will do something??

Just in case they cant fix it I asked Renault how much they would want to re-program a 2nd hand ECU. Their answer......We do not re-program or fit 2nd hand parts.

I rang customer care and they said they would deal with it. They rang back an hour later and informed me that the Renault dealership will fit and program a 2nd hand one for £350 or they will fit and program a new one for £650. The cheapest 2nd hand one I have been able to source is £250. So that only makes it £50 cheaper and obviously not worth it.

The new one is cheaper than they originally quoted but still extortionate. And all of this just so they can diagnose the original problem. :banghead

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Update:

I received the ECU back from the repair center and they have said there is nothing wrong with it. They have also waived the diagnostic fee on it :-P So at least that bit was free lol.

I rang the original garage and told them their diagnosis was wrong and I wanted a refund and towing to Renault. They agreed to give me £50 back and tow me in.

Renault hooked it up to the clip and got into the ECU straight away. The mechanic rang me and said there are 8 fault codes showing. He says 5 of them are nothing to worry about and are easy fixes but there are 3 for the engine.

The first one is the fuel rail pressure sensor (RAC man thought it was low fuel pressure), the second is a missfire on cylinder 1 and the third one escapes me right now.
The mechanic also says there is Red diesel in the tank??????????? I explained that the last time I filled up was in a little village in Suffolk and drove approx 200 miles before experiencing any problems, all I remember was that I picked up the pump marked diesel and surely the garage would have said something about me putting red diesel in my car??? I have a feeling that there storage tanks may have been contaminated!

I paid cash for the fuel and have no idea where I actually was when I filled up (following Sat Nav to nearest garage) so dont fancy my chances of finding the place again.

As there is a horrible knocking noise when the engine is started the mechanic thinks there could be damage in the engine. He will be doing a compression test on monday. He says it sounds like the "Big End" or "Small End" have gone???
I dont think there is anything worng as it sounds the same as when the RAC man started it on Ether. and it was running fine when I picked it up from the last garage.
But I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Gaz

P.S - I have also asked them turn on the Cruise Control option whilst it was hooked up to the CLIP. A Small saving but I would have paid £85 for them to do it when I retro Fit CC in the future.

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:52 pm

Ive jus had a call from the garage and they have informed me that when they took the glow plug out of cylinder 4 they have noticed alot of oil on it. The mechanic says there is major damage to the engine and has also told me that they will require 4 hours (£400) just to take the cylinder head off and inspect the damage. All in he thinks I will be looking at £2k to have it rebuilt....

Do I let them do it or do i just cut my losses?

meganeman1981

Postby meganeman1981 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:31 pm

im having the same problems every thing you said has happened to me every little bit i have a 1.5 dci 2003 seems strange that i think dont you please let me know if you find any thing else out as im tryingto sort things out on it
hope all goes well

Return to “Problems / Questions”