Cigarette Lighter not working - Fuse question

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

palexr

Cigarette Lighter not working - Fuse question

Postby palexr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi,

Just got a second hand 1.9 dci and am very happy with but I noticed the cigarette lighter isn't working and have a few questions.

1 Since the vehicle is still under warranty could I take it to a Renault garage and just insist they fix it free of charge? I bought the car at a Renault dealership some distance away, they've said they would fix it but I don't really want to drive miles.

2 I've had a look in the glove compartment fuse box and as far as I can tell there is no fuse in place for the cigarette lighter. Looking at the diagram on the fuse box lid it would appear that there should eb a 15(amp?) fuse in the secon slot from the bottom on the left. This slot is empty. When I try to fit a fuse it simply falls out, there doesn't appear to be anything behind the socket for the fuse to plug into. I've tried every which way, including pulling on or two of the other out to see if I was dong it incorrectly. Not the brightest of ideass maybe but frustration had set in. Those fuses pulled out and inserted with detectable resistance (and the electrics all work) so it isn't hamfisted fuse insertion as far as I can tell.

3 Are there any particular issues with the cigarette ligher in general? The Renault garage had some kind of cockamaney story about the cigarette lighter being liable to blow the fuse if you plug something (mobile phone charger) into once the engine is started. Their bodge solution (assuming I can fix the fuse) is to plug everything in before starting the engine - BS?

Can anyone help and point me in the right direction? Cheers.

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Well the only time my fuse went was when I plugged stuff in as the engine was running but this is common in terms of failures.

I can't remember 100% which fuse it is but it affects the radio (radio switches off after 20 minutes as one of its supplies is missing, as if the engine was off) and the air con AND possibly some illumination of the centre dash.

palexr

Postby palexr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:02 am

Yeah it isn't really clear at all! I read over on the Renaultforums site that it might be the fuse that controls the A/C and rear demister (and radio?) that controls the cigarette lighter? But why is there a symbol for a cigarette on the diagram then? Also the A/C and rear demister work so I don't think it is the fuse?

Are there any other known problems with the lighter?

scotthatton
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane Sport Tourer Privilège 1.9 dCi 120, Registered March 2005, bought April 2009.

Re:

Postby scotthatton » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:55 am

walibe wrote:Well the only time my fuse went was when I plugged stuff in as the engine was running but this is common in terms of failures.

I can't remember 100% which fuse it is but it affects the radio (radio switches off after 20 minutes as one of its supplies is missing, as if the engine was off) and the air con AND possibly some illumination of the centre dash.

Hmmm seems to have this exact same problem myself. The cigarette lighter is a big chewed up on mine, so I have to waggle the connector around a bit. Got home the other night, unplugged my TomTom and I noticed the air con is dead. The dash display for it doesn't light up. Also the pumps for the window wash spray don't work and driving the car today the radio turned off after 20 mins.

I checked the fuses and visually they all look ok - will try a multi meter on them this weekend. I can't live without air con in this weather. I assume it was an internal fuse (glove box) as opposed to under the bonnet?

PS - can I buy a replacement cigarette lighter from an after market seller or would this be a Renault dealer only supply? Searching the web hasn't turned one up yet.

Thanks,
Scott

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Re: Cigarette Lighter not working - Fuse question

Postby Toodeep » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:34 pm

Some of the info in this thread could be relevant:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10571

But if your car is under warranty, any Renault franchisee should fix it. They get paid by Renault regardless and most see it as an opportunity to 'find' other faults that they know you won't object to them fixing.

scotthatton
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane Sport Tourer Privilège 1.9 dCi 120, Registered March 2005, bought April 2009.

Postby scotthatton » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Fixed it! :-)

Was a blown fuse in the internal (glovebox) panel. Couldn't see the break but found it with a meter.

Weirdly the fuse was a 15A marked with a picture of the stereo... But what failed was aircon, aircon LCD and window washer pumps. The stereo worked but switched itself off after 20 minutes. Assume it wasn't getting its ignition live.

Was a strange way to label it... Will post a picture when I get a chance.

Also I've now fixed the cigarette lighter. The previous owner was a smoker who seems to use the lighter hole as an ashtray. It was full of gunk and corroded. I cleaned up the contacts with a drill bit and it works perfectly now. It's a bit loose in its fitting, but that's a job for another day...

lambchop2009

Postby lambchop2009 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks scotthatton, it is people like you, and forums like this that the internet was made for.. Had exactly the same problem, window washers not work, stereo turned off, aircon, cigaret lighter not working taken to renauld dealer, told washer pump died. Had it replaced, cost £££. then told sorry, still not working, we have no idea. Advised car is likely to become a big problem, should consider getting rid of it, as probably computer related £££££. Thanks for nothing. Registered hear immediately after getting home, dismayed. Found your post, replaced fuse, hay presto everything now works. Wife happy too.. Had great satisfaction in ringing renauld up to tell them their job:-) thanks again for your post...

eastdog

Postby eastdog » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:19 am

yeah, scotthatton thanks. Just opened the glove box, and switched the stereo fuse with the horn fuse(until I have a replacement fuse).
So easy to do as well, literally a 1 minute job which I thought would require a visit to the local garage.

I could see the stereo fuse had blown by looking at it following the advice in section 5 of the manual.

mr. megane
Passed Theory

Postby mr. megane » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:01 pm

@eastdog

There might be a few spares placed in the lid for the internal fuses. Mine had that - found out after I ran and bought a handful new fuses :)

candyroch
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Dynamique 1.4 - Ottoman Blue - 2005, 17" Arays AR1 Carbon Yellowline Alloys, Rear Tints, Renault Spoiler, Clarion Sub, Alpine speakers, Full interior white and blue l.e.d set. Chrome strips, Chrome and leather gearstick & Lighter, Private Reg, Wind Deflectors & Silver BumbleBee Aerial!

Postby candyroch » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi guys have exactly the same problem mentioned above - no window washers front or back, no a/c or HRW and also radio keeps turning off?? when we turn engine off and open door normally radio shuts off etc but not any more! - also got a front indicator light out. Could someone please tell me which socket the 15a fuse for this needs repaired? Also does this same fuse affect the indicator bulb? Replaced the bulb today and was told tht was fuse related as the flasher is faster than normal for a dead bulb

Thanks

mr. megane
Passed Theory

Postby mr. megane » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:01 pm

candyroch wrote:Hi guys have exactly the same problem mentioned above - no window washers front or back, no a/c or HRW and also radio keeps turning off?? when we turn engine off and open door normally radio shuts off etc but not any more! - also got a front indicator light out. Could someone please tell me which socket the 15a fuse for this needs repaired? Also does this same fuse affect the indicator bulb? Replaced the bulb today and was told tht was fuse related as the flasher is faster than normal for a dead bulb

Thanks

Should be the fuse marked with a stereo pictogram :)

candyroch
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Dynamique 1.4 - Ottoman Blue - 2005, 17" Arays AR1 Carbon Yellowline Alloys, Rear Tints, Renault Spoiler, Clarion Sub, Alpine speakers, Full interior white and blue l.e.d set. Chrome strips, Chrome and leather gearstick & Lighter, Private Reg, Wind Deflectors & Silver BumbleBee Aerial!

Postby candyroch » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Just fixed the Fuse problem!!! Thanks guys!!! Everything appears normal just now as well! However I must say though that my front indicator light still isnt working? Any idea why?

Scrooge
Currently Drives:: 2.0 litre VVC 55 plate

Postby Scrooge » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:02 am

Having the same problem but changed the fuse with the original spare one and it blew straight away. A trip to the robbing gigs known as halfords to buy some fuses is my next job.

stephen1990
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.4 dynamique ;) fear the roar of the 1.4 !

Postby stephen1990 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:08 am

Hi all! I had this problem with my car and was worried it was going to cost me ££££££ to repair! Thankfully I got to the root of the problem and was the cigarette lighter, a quick trip to halfords for 2 fuses and tried one with the lighter in, started it up, fuse blown, took the lighter out put the second fuse in, hurray! Now I have to drive around with the lighter out but who cares because I now have..... A radio that works, electric windows that bloody work! And most importantly my windscreen washers! :D she's going back tomorrow to get a couple things done to her like the sunroof not opening and loose glovebox handle and the drivers height adjustment lever put back on ( was snapped off and stuffed down the drivers door when I took delivery of it! )

amoore6
Currently Drives:: Megane

Postby amoore6 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi,

I have a 06 1.4 megane and have the exact same problem, cigarette lighter not working, no light on A/C or rear demister (but both work), radio switches off after 20 minutes and will not automatically switch off when I open drivers door, my parrot hands free kit does not switch on at all & no screen wash front or back. The wipers do work but not when I pull on the screen wash stalk.
I've swapped the 15a radio fuse but to no avail? I have never had a fuse in my cigarette lighter but have put one in and still no fix.
Please help?

Return to “Problems / Questions”