Cigarette Lighter not working - Fuse question

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Slawall

Re: Cigarette Lighter not working - Fuse question

Postby Slawall » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Hello guys..at first I'm sorry for my English. ;)

I have problem with my car lighter in my Megane II from year 2004. Car lighter doesn't work and I don't know why. I checked fuse box but position for car lighter fuse is empty and also there aren't metal contacts. But car lighter was worked maybe 3 months ago with same stats of fuse box.

Here are pictures of my fuse box, I don't know if diagram of fuse box is correct.

I have gasoline engine 2.016V. Does have anybody the same engine and can post picture of his fuse box? Thank you for advices...I don't have any idea where I can check fuse of car lighter.

Slawall

Rivkid
Currently Drives:: 54 Megane Sports Tourer

Postby Rivkid » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Guys just had to register to say thanks for the information in this thread. I just had the exact same issue with the fuse which appeared to be labelled stereo, but actually knocked out the screen wash, cigarette lighter and aircon. My first replacement fuse blew immediately in my hands as I inserted it, but I realised my house keys were hanging off the ignition card, and directly into the cigarette lighter! Removed the keys and the next fuse went in with no issues. All now fixed and working great.

Thanks for saving me some serious garage bills :)

mittenscat1
Currently Drives:: megane

Air con, fan, lights on console water washer pump not workin

Postby mittenscat1 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:21 pm

First of all thanks for your posts, managed to fix the problem But a little confusing?? Fan stopped, cold car! no heating, cig lighter? not working washer water not pumping out?? Looked at the fuses and checked all relevant ones were ok. Did not think to check the radio 15amp as the radio was working manually. Changed the fuse £2.59 for a mixed pack of mini blade fuses from Halfords. Everything is now working: fan, radio turning off when driver door opens, cig lighter for Tom Tom and water pumping for wipers.. a little time and perseverance.

katykoo
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Dynamique 1.6 3 door

Postby katykoo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:17 pm

Ditto..my temp/a/c and radio-would work but switch off after twenty mins. There is no cigarette lighter in the car. When I checked the fuse box, there wasnt a fuse in the cigarette lighter fuse hole. The radio one had blown, so I changed that, and attempted to put the cigarette lighter one in, and it didnt fit, it fell out!

The radio and wipers worked again, but blew in under 24hrs....

Reading this thread made me realise that somehow the lighter -where the cigarette lighter sits, must still be 'live' even without its proper feed..I have dropped a coin in there, and also use the hole as my Vape holder-eg metal casing on the bottom, so will change the radio fuse again tomorrow, and make sure nothing metal sits on the cigarette lighter hole! Fingers crossed!!

Atorque
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5 dci

Postby Atorque » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:42 pm

I hope I do not get flamed for this but please bear in mind I am only trying to help. I have the same issue on my Megane ii which I just fixed a few minutes ago. I decided to see if anyone else is having a problem. On my car it was a blue 15 amp fuse which was marked with a radio symbol on the fuse index. This fixed the lighter and the radio and some panel illumination also. My hunch is that the issue is coming from somewhere else. I have experienced similar issues with other systems on the car. All of my electrical issues seem to stem from the same place. The megane has very sh1tty connectors on the wiring loom. I had a big fault on my lights which turned out to be a bad earth on the rear lights. This after spending much time and money consulting the professionals I decided forget the monkey mechanics. I am an engineer, I will just fault find. The fault was on the back lights. I can hear many people now saying "what has that got to do with other electrical systems". I am not an electrical engineer. My electrical skills are limited but fixing the bad connection fixed all my other electrical issues. Recently I blew a fuse which as stated I just repaired. Seems the other side of the rear lights have developed the same problem and will need some attention. The tailgate lights are another source of problems. They rust to crap inside the tailgate because of poor design. Water is retained even if the seals are good. At some point you may have to resort to buying a new loom for the tailgate (3rd door) as I have already had to replace mine. If you have not yet experienced problems with your windows not winding then you will soon enough. That is yet another design flaw. My Megane looks cool and the engine is bullet proof but it has been along time since I have seen an electrical system so pathetic. I hope this helps at least one person else my post was in vain.

nnavas
Currently Drives:: Megane II 2007 2 litre automatic

Postby nnavas » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 pm

scotthatton wrote:Fixed it! :-)

Was a blown fuse in the internal (glovebox) panel. Couldn't see the break but found it with a meter.

Weirdly the fuse was a 15A marked with a picture of the stereo... But what failed was aircon, aircon LCD and window washer pumps. The stereo worked but switched itself off after 20 minutes. Assume it wasn't getting its ignition live.

Was a strange way to label it... Will post a picture when I get a chance.

Also I've now fixed the cigarette lighter. The previous owner was a smoker who seems to use the lighter hole as an ashtray. It was full of gunk and corroded. I cleaned up the contacts with a drill bit and it works perfectly now. It's a bit loose in its fitting, but that's a job for another day...

Thanks a lot, had the same problem and was scared it could be something bad, thaks for the info.

tomo1985

Postby tomo1985 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:12 am

:cry Hi I'm new to this site and would like some advice or help please as I'm a pulling my hair out lol. I have a Renault megane 1.4 16v 2004 and the cigarette lighter isn't working and I need it to work as I rely on it for my Satnav as I travel a lot. I have checked all fuses and tried to clean the cigarette lighter out and no luck. The fuses are all in good working order and there is no space for a fuse for the cigarette lighter. Any help would be amazing.

tomo1985

Postby tomo1985 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:21 am

:D Sorry forgot to ask is the cigarette lighter housing be removed as i have tried to remove it and it wont come out.

justadriver27
Currently Drives:: I currently Drive what I believe is a Mk3 Megane coupe cabroilet (convertible) 1.6 16v 2008.

Postby justadriver27 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi guys, i have a 1.6 08 plate megane convertible.

I've tried the fuse replacement and it doesn't work. My stereo, A/C and Windows are not affected. Any ideas what else I can try please. I use my cig lighter for charging my phones on long distance.

Nothing but the cig lighter is affected so ideas are welcome. If it helps I've had to have the ECU Reflashed due to the ECU earthing out as wires snapped and a live shorted on the metal of the car. Hasn't worked since it came back.

cjcupcake23
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II (2007) 2.0L Turbo Hatchback (3 Door)

Postby cjcupcake23 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:47 pm

I know this is now over 10 years later, but I just wanted to thank you guys so much for your posts on this. I have just bought my boyfriend's old Renault Megane II 2007 turbo and it has a crap tonne of issues with it, all quoted by mechanics as costing over A$4000 (Australian) to fix, including the aircon which would not light up or turn on at all because it was "broken" and "needed to be replaced" for around $900, and then also same issue with the windscreen sprayer thingoes and the cigaretter lighter. I found this forum post and went and checked the fuses, and what do you know, the RADIO fuse was blown, and once i replaced it, the aircon came straight back on! Thanks so much again!! :D

Return to “Problems / Questions”