Megane Electrical Faults

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

FedUp-Migane-Man

Megane Electrical Faults

Postby FedUp-Migane-Man » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:14 am

I have recently purchased a used Megane and all seemed OK for the first couple of weeks. Then whilst driving all of the warning lights come on (initialy ABS, then airbag, then everything else), then the blowers stop working, then all of the dials/gages drop to zero & then the radio stops working. The engine stays running for a bit & then dies. Having rolled to the side of the road, the battery is completly dead.

Mr AA man arrived tested the battery & alternator, said that both appeared fine but recomended chnaging the alternator as they often have intermitant faults.

I changed the alternator (there are lots of versions so was cautious to make sure i got the right one), but a few days later the same thing happened.

So I've now changed the battery (as advised by Renault), and surprise surpise its happened again.

Now Renault are suggesting that I check the earth connections again - my mechanic did this when he replaced the alternator, so Im not too hopeful that this will work.

I would be really grateful if anyone has any ideas how to resolve this, as my good lady wife (gotta be nice as she's blamming me for spending so much time waiting for the AA) is going to kill me for buying a duff motor!

Thanks in advance

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:45 am

Could be water ingress into Fuses or ECU etc. Lots of water ingress issues at this time of year. You might wanna locate these units and check for signs of water.

andyboy27uk

Oh my god!!! Exactly that..........

Postby andyboy27uk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Exactly how you have described what happened to yourself is what has happened to myself this morning, i got into my 53 plate renault megane inserted the card pressed start and Nothing !!! dash lights started flickering, dorr locks clicking battery dead as , abs light on, service light on, hand brake light on code gone out of stereo?? managed to jump start it and get it to a garage so they have got it over night tonight to check it out god knows whats wrong with it?

The Negotiator
Learner Driver

Postby The Negotiator » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:26 am

Dead battery for the above symptoms?

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:18 am

check this thread. (you have to keep reading)
https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=6418

FedUp-Migane-Man

Postby FedUp-Migane-Man » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 am

Thanks for all your replies....so here is the latest update.

My wife managed to persuade the local renault dealer to check the fuse box,ECU & earth connections (only charged £40, dont think that they were brave enough to upset her & ask for more!). They couldnt find anything wrong, but said they reset the ECU anyway (not sure why).

On her way home from the garage the car broke down again. The AA man spent an hour trying to find the fault (with my wife on her phone shouting abuse at the renault dealer in the background). He has traced a 'positive' wire that runs off of the alternator that appears to have a fault (its getting hot and restricting the voltage that passes through it....over 3 volt drop). Although as he didnt have any wire he couldnt replace it, so he towed the car home for us.

I have replaced the wire today, so fingers crossed I wont have my mrs on the phone shouting at me this afternoon.....well at least not about the car!

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:56 pm

well hope the car is sorted, god bless the AA and their fault finding abilities, maybe renault should recruit a few ex AA men...
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

skyblueheroes

Re: Megane Electrical Faults

Postby skyblueheroes » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:19 am

Seems like I am getting this :?

Battery and alternator okay (allegedly). But after a full (or new) battery I get about 3/4 days. Then symptoms start on the daily drive to work where the car cuts out and I have to restart. After getting a mile or so down the road by keeping the revs up it seems okay and is obviously charging at that point.

But, the day after, its dead in the morning when I go out to it.

Thoughts? Same issue?

Return to “Problems / Questions”