Headlight bulb procedure?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Re: Headlight bulb procedure?

Postby andywills » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:58 pm

you can do it through the wheel arch and sometimes it leaves you looking like you've been self harming but removing the battery is the easiest way of doing it
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

heritageboy
Passed Theory

Postby heritageboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Changed my Saab 93's bulbs the other day in Halfords car park - piece of p*ss. Bother of my bulbs have gone on the Meg so went to change... can't believe you have to take the wheel off! Been driving on sides and fogs last couple of nights - I'm going to try my local Halfords and see if they'll do it for me.
2006 Renault Megane 1.9 dCi 130 Dynamique
2006 Saab 93 1.9 TiD 150 Vector Sport

What's all this fuss about the 9th November?

heritageboy
Passed Theory

Postby heritageboy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:44 pm

jessopk wrote:Halfords have just fitted me a new offside headlight bulb for £2.99 (plus the cost of the bulb)!

Took mine to Gloucester Halfords on Saturday.. 'sorry mate we don't do Meganes, Kas, Focus..'. Popped into the Worcester branch near work and a nice chap swapped them out in 5 mins. Cost me £5.99 per bulb + cost of bulbs. Lot less hassle than me taking wheels off/having to lie in 6" snow etc. :-)
2006 Renault Megane 1.9 dCi 130 Dynamique
2006 Saab 93 1.9 TiD 150 Vector Sport

What's all this fuss about the 9th November?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re:

Postby davelowe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:13 pm

meggie 24 wrote:I changed the passenger side head lamp bulb a couple of weeks ago, there is not much I can add to Nickbell's description which is just about spot on. i must have been one of the lucky ones, took about 20 minutes from start to finish. £67!!! what a rip off.... :evil:

1st time I did this it took an hour and I had an assistant.

This morning I did it solo and it took 3 minutes + 10 minutes removing and replacing the road wheel - yes I know it isn't strictly necessary!. The jacking kit lives on the back seat these days, the amount of use it gets puts me off storing it in the boot.

My tip for what it's worth: get a VERY bright torch (slim LED ones are the best) and have a good look inside the enclosure after you remove the wheel arch access hatch, after you remove the black plastic cup, after you pull the wiring plug off (the spring clip only needs to be squeezed from one side on mine), and after you have removed the bulb. Make the same observations in the reverse order on reassembly.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

1douglas
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 Estate. 1.45 Turbo Diesel

Postby 1douglas » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi,
My headlamp doesn't appear to have a clip. 3 springs appear to hold the bulb in place.
Put a new bulb in today bit could see No orientation in the headlamp to locate the
bulb.
Took the car out tonight in the fog and the bulb pattern does appear wrong & inadequate.
I placed the locating lug at the bottom, tried using a mirror bit could not tell if this is right.
Really do need to take a look at a unit outside of the vehicle.
Might try to look at one at the local dealership.
Will keep all posted.
Regards
Doug

roganp
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Kia Carnival babybus, Megane 2hatch

Postby roganp » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Just did the passenger side myself. My hand are too big for the access panel route. Took battery out and that makes it real easy. Took about 10 mins to remove battery and bulb. Now just gotta go to shop for a new bulb and refit.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:39 am

The next will be an indicator or the parking light bulb... If one is gone, expect the others. This is why it is advisable to replace all frequently used bulbs in one go at annual servicing.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”