PANORAMIC SUNROOF BLEW INTO THE CAR

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jojo

PANORAMIC SUNROOF BLEW INTO THE CAR

Postby jojo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:58 pm

I have a renault megane with a panoramic sunroof. The sunroof exploded this morning on my way to work, there was no other car on the road apart from myself so i know that it wasn't a stone, well to be honest you would have had to have thrown a very large object through it.... Renault say that this isn't covered under warranty, surely it has to be as a safety feature the glass should not have come in around me, can anyone help...... :cry:

jamieator

Postby jamieator » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:01 pm

sorry to hear about your incident thats terrible. i had a smart car before my megane and my glass roof blew up at 70mph on the motorway with a big bang very very disconcerting. unfortunatly smart gave the same line. in the end i bought a canvas folding electric roof and was very happy. unfortunatly i think renault are correct the fact thats its the roof is irrelevant if it was the saide window or the windscreen that went ud be in the same position. as its glass its inherantly fragile and u would never ever be able to prove that it was their fault and a stone didnt hit it as the evidence is now in a thousand pieces. sorry this probably isnt the ideal information but take comfort from the fact that uve been very very very unlucky (much more common on smart cars) and will hopefully never experience it again. when u get new roof make extra sure that all the old glass comes out of all the nooks and crannies as i was finding glass nearly 3 years later and cutting myself on it. also thre was always na small pice left somewhere which rattled. hope u get it all sorted

m.bedforth
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane Sport Tourer Oasis Dynamique Manual Petrol '05

Postby m.bedforth » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Jojo - what an awful experience and thank goodness you're OK. Very bad luck. Sorry too that Renault are not helping. I have the same glass roof on a Dynamique Sport Tourer 2005. Could you tell us what the model and age of your car is and whether there were any unusual circumstances like change in temperature etc. Had it ever been repaired? Mine is very slow to open and close -sort of judders. Will you be able to claim on your insurance?

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:41 am

jojo; welcome to the forum, sadly not under very good circumstances :(

Whilst this is (luckily) not a common problem, people have posted about it before.
Have read of this thread.
https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... f+exploded

I suggest you contact VOSA as well, as this could have been much more serious that it turned out to be.
Regardless of whether Renault say it's not covered under warranty, do not pay a penny out,
Take no crap!
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:58 pm

Autoexpress are trying to blow this up into a huge issue but it affects more than one car manufacture. Research needs to be done into why this happening, wonder if its all the same glass manufacture?

Return to “Problems / Questions”