brake pads & discs

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kylehimself
Pass Plus

brake pads & discs

Postby kylehimself » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:02 pm

when i took my car to renault to have the regulator sorted they checked my brakes???

they said im lookin' at £500 for all the pads and discs. any sites or anythin' i can get them cheaper??

cheers

kyle
:cool:

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:42 pm

Start with typing EBC in Google UK, select regular rotors and GreenStuff pads. If you need new rear bearings or are unsure if the person doing the job would be able to remove the ABS rings, then get the rear rotors from Renault at triple price.

Consider also replacing the rubber hoses and changing the brake fluid.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:12 pm

the green stuff pads arn't to dear, think il get them. how does this palce seem for discs??

http://www.brakepartssuperstore.com/index1.html?target=index.html&gclid=CKqRx_ffrZECFRMXQgoddgt-eA

2 x Rear Brake Discs
Advertised price includes:
A PAIR (x2) brake discs
12 Months / 12,000 mile warranty

Leave quantity set to '1' to receive a PAIR (x2) brake discs

Same as BDS6144 but Supplied with a Wheel Bearing & ABS Ring

Solid - Mountings 4
Disc diameter 240.0mm
Disc thickness 8.0mm
Overall height 74.6mm
Centre diameter 52.3mm
Minimum thickness 7.0mm
1 ABS Ring
1 Wheel Bearing

this says 1 bearing and abs ring... is 1 of each all u need?

kyle :cool:

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:52 am

Yes, 1 bearing and 1 ABS ring per disc. This is for the rear discs only. The front discs don't have bearings and rings attached to them.

The price for the rear discs (£160+VAT for pair) seems to be similar to the dealer's price. Most likely they will arrive in the OEM box with Renault logo on it.

You will also need the rear hub nuts. The old can be reused, but it is always better to replace them. Read the manual regarding torques and the use of threadlock.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:14 am

the list of parts just keeps on goin'... il call a local garage (not renault) and see what they can do.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:24 pm

Kyle,

The expensive rear discs come with the bearings and ABS rings attached to them. So, you don't need to buy them separately.

The cheap rear discs come without anything. Then the installer will remove the stuff from the old discs and fit everything to the new ones. It will take time and require special tools.

The hub nuts are cheap. They cost about a pound each from the dealer.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

BurntCarcus
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Grand Scenic 2008 1.9Dci (130)

Postby BurntCarcus » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 am

Just got my front ones done from hurst's on the boucher. About £300 cant be exact cause i was getting other stuff done too and the bill came to £460 :cry: Fairly makes a difference, makes you smile the first time you try an emergency stop lol
Back from Zafira hell....... Good to be home. Number 3 scenic bought and "im lovin it"

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:55 am

my car is booked into a local place in dundonald called scott's garage. he is pretty well known locally and does a good job from what i hear. he is gettin' all the pads and discs front and rear and fittin' them for £310, he assures me he doesn't use crap parts and gimme the name of the brand to check them out. but i cant remember now what they where called.

hes also gonna give it a full MOT service while he's at it. commin' to a total of £400

not to bad considerin' renault wanted £550 just for the pads and that. can't wait to get this MOT crap outta the way.

Return to “Problems / Questions”