car stalling in first few minutes - fine at other times

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mickpettitt

car stalling in first few minutes - fine at other times

Postby mickpettitt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:13 pm

2004 megane 1.6 vvt. occasionally stalling shortly after started - running fine then suddenly stalls when i stop at junctions/lights. It never happens after first 5 minutes. Engine mgmt light comes on - diagnostic test reveals problem with accelerator unit / throttle housing but I have replaced this and the same problem and codes are still reported. My local garage now confused and said refer to renault. Does anyone recognise these symptoms - the car is otherwise fine, it's just the first five minutes and some days there is no problem at all. The drive is not lumpy so you are not expecting it to stall when it does. Could it be a pedal sensor or tdc sensor ( i have read about these issues on your site).

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:16 pm

TDC/Camshaft Sensor/Coils/Dephaser Pulley.

mickpettitt

Postby mickpettitt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:57 pm

cheers. I take it the order you listed is the best order to test it with in terms of cost.....ie dephaser pulley last if all else fails.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:50 pm

Read Webcodes response in this thread
https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=6626
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

mickpettitt

throttle housing

Postby mickpettitt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:38 pm

thanks for this info - i'm gonna get these bits done. I am slightly concerned though cos I've already put a new throttle housing on and it still persists. Will give the sensors a change and a service generally and keep me fingers crossed.....just hope it's not the dreaded dephaser pulley. It doesn't seem to have the full symptoms of the dephaser so I might be lucky.

Cheers again.

bell8572

Re: car stalling in first few minutes - fine at other times

Postby bell8572 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:54 pm

hi i have a problem with 2004 megane it has trouble with cutting out over fueling i have changed the pugs/coil packs/crank poistion sensor and i have just got a throttle body aswell as it was coming up with fault codes p020e/df089/df080/df079 and the battery went flat the other day aswell at wits end here this costing a fortune anyone help please :banghead

anglia1963
Currently Drives:: Megane II 2.0 Dynamic , Leyland p76 Executive

Re: car stalling in first few minutes - fine at other times

Postby anglia1963 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 am

I had this same problem with my 2l Petrol. It was the temperature sensor connection. The symptom was the car was over-fuelling as it changed from Open to closed loop operation ( the engine came up to temperature). My computer and hence much of the engine wiring got drown because the LH wheel-well access cover was left off. I simply disconnected and reconnected the sensor connection on the battery side of the head. It was failing every couple of days and it has been running for 4 months OK since. Else you may wish the try a new sensor - You can get them off E-bay for about 20 quid.

Return to “Problems / Questions”