Xenon headlights are failing

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

norberto
Passed Theory

Xenon headlights are failing

Postby norberto » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:35 am

Hi,

My Megane II xenon headlights have been failing for some time. The symptom resembles neon bulbs failing, I mean, the light seems to flicker sometimes.

This doesn't happen every single time. It happens randomly, so it is hard to show it at the dealer.

The left headlight seems to exhibit this problem more often than the right one.

Does anyone have the same problem as I? How did you solve it?

Best regards,
Norberto
Sport Tourer 1.5dci 100cv - Luxe/Dynamique(similar to UK prilivège but with dark interior trim) *Hologram Grey * + ESP+ASR + Leather Upholstery + Tire Pressure Monitor + Xenon + Separation net --- firmware 9.05 --- Sept/04

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:22 pm

Does it flicker when you start moving off?
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

petesafc

Postby petesafc » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:53 pm

Sounds like a dodgy earth? Is everything connected ok?

norberto
Passed Theory

Postby norberto » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi,

cactusbob, it does usually flicker when I start moving, although there are times when it flickers even if the car is stopped, so there's no pattern here.

petesafc, what do you mean by "dodgy earth", are you talking about the electrical ground?

I disassembled the headlights last December at the dealer shop in order to switch the ballasts (the left went to the right headlight, and vice versa). Unfortunately this didn't help me on figuring out the problem, as the left headlight still fails, and so the right one, exactly the way it used to fail (the left fails more often than the right one).

Before disassembling the headlights I was hoping that the problem was just a loosen connector, but although I missed out something, that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Sport Tourer 1.5dci 100cv - Luxe/Dynamique(similar to UK prilivège but with dark interior trim) *Hologram Grey * + ESP+ASR + Leather Upholstery + Tire Pressure Monitor + Xenon + Separation net --- firmware 9.05 --- Sept/04

petesafc

Postby petesafc » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Yes by earth i meant "ground" connection. I had an indicator go off and just twisted the bulb holder and it came back on! So i assumed bad earth.

Penguin
Currently Drives:: Megane 2, 2.0l, Privilage Trim

Re: Xenon headlights are failing

Postby Penguin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi all,
I have just brought my wife's Megane II back to our local dealer again for yet another failed Xenon bulb. I was not a happy camper. Garage costs here in Switzerland resemble a dental appointment in the UK and we were told that they had 'fixed' this problem before. The dealer then just admitted that the regulator to the bulbs surges and that the problem is a common one. To complicate matters, they changed the regulator at our last visit... Now they have agreed to a methodical tracing of the problem.
Anyone else have this 'common' problem?
We are most happy otherwise with the car. We wanted a family runabout with motorway ability (i.e. happy at 160 km/h for an hour or so, Germany is on our doorstep) and it really delivers. However, a bulb failing every two months is bloody annoying.

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch

Postby MéganeDynamique » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:09 am

I'm looking to add the xenon units in place of my regular halogen ones. Are the connections the same?
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:30 pm

If the circuit is anything like a fluorescent tube, then there should be a ballast that is basically a current limiting device. It allows momentary high currents when the arc is first struck, then, since the bulbs are essentially unlimited in terms of current consumption, it should then develop an internal resistance to prevent the bulbs from blowing. If faulty the bulbs will essentially overheat.

This is somewhat unrelated, but when I was designing a colour corrected reference display box for a photographic society I found all this out and got hold of a £30 electronic ballast that incorporated an invertor and switching technology which removed any flicker (around 1kHz) and would operate at a wide variety of voltages. Might be worth a look..
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Problems / Questions”