air-con condenser unit

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

keithy_2k

air-con condenser unit

Postby keithy_2k » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi all,
For Megane II and Clio III owners, has anyone had damage to the condenser unit caused by road debris going through the front grill? My air-con is now useless because mine's was punctured and all the coolant gas has leaked out. I blame it on the poor design of the front grill. However, both the dealer and Renault UK refuse to compensate.

Thanks.

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:06 pm

Not unusual on many types of vehicles.. Just one of those things that happen and unlucky..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

keithy_2k

Postby keithy_2k » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:20 pm

I've actually raised a small claims action against the car dealer (full hearing in a month's time). In my view, other cars like the Punto or Yaris have far better front-grill protection which would have prevented the damage.

If damage to the condenser is a known occurrence, Renault should have taken more care in its design.

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 pm

keithy_2k wrote: In my view, other cars like the Punto or Yaris have far better front-grill protection which would have prevented the damage.

If damage to the condenser is a known occurrence, Renault should have taken more care in its design.

My dad has a Yaris and I don't believe thats true.
The design of the grille and coverage is greater than that of a megane I think which could easilly allow something small to pass. However, the grille is mader of thicker plastic and should withstand a beating against a larger object should it hit.

I have to agree with Webcode and it's just a hit or miss job. Hindsight is a great thing!

Good luck with small claims court

keithy_2k

Postby keithy_2k » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:32 pm

Here's a photo of the current Yaris front grill:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2062/2234495919_718f58c926_o.jpg

As well as less space between the horizontal slats, it also has a criss-cross mesh.

I think it's far better compared to Renault's.

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:40 am

good luck with the claims court, i personally would laugh you out the court sorry mate but thats the way of it, to say a manufacturer should take more care is one thing but they have to trade off air flow with strength of the panel, also to use another car as a yard stick is not really a case to make, if you prefer the yaris design buy a yaris, a bit glib you bet
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

keithy_2k

Postby keithy_2k » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:44 pm

My attitude is to fight for what I believe is right - so don't put down me or anyone else for having a go.

At the preliminary court hearing, the sheriff agreed that there was a case to answer - hence the full hearing next month.

I know it's going to be difficult to win the case but that's not going to stop me from trying.

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:02 am

You may find that whoever you are sueing doesnt even bother turning up, in which case you'll just win. Make sure you have supplied the court with copies of all the evidence you are going to use. Also claim travelling expenses as well. The judge won't necessarily prompt you but you can ask for them. It is quite easy to win a small claim, just make sure you turn up and be nice and respectful. They like that kind of thing. Of course it is a totally differnt kettle of fish getting your money after you win. If you are suing a business it should be reasonably easy.
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:55 am

Like I said good luck, keep us posted as to how you get on, have you had your AC repaired or are you waiting for the court to decide action to be taken?
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Return to “Problems / Questions”