I didn't know this, maybe you didn't either!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

acf_1

I didn't know this, maybe you didn't either!

Postby acf_1 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:42 pm

I've owned a 1.6 VVT 53 28,000 for nearly 6 months now, and it hasn't quite been the match made in heaven!

First i had the inevitable dephaser pulley (or as the rest of the world knows it the VVT) fail withen a day of having the car. The trader of course paid to have it fixed, but my confidence was already slightly knocked.

A big improvement obviously, but still i didn't feel i had any power in the car, it was lumpy in pulling away, and just seemed to at it's own pace. Plus it had still a problems starting, revving up then dying out.

Then in quick succesion Full Service, MOT, Camshaft Sensor. i was thinking that must have got it, fluids have been changed, sparks, camshaft sensor, plus they checked over the ignition coils. It did feel kinda better, psychological ?

All confidence drained now, resigned to the fact that i've bought a friday afternoon car from a model that's plagued with faults anyway.

Last chance, after checking over the forum and looking at a youtube video i thought i'd change the TDC sensor. Even the garage said that the part had been modified because they had been faulty. Surely this was it. NO, a few days later the car started then the revs died almost to stalling point.

Ultimate Last Chance. I took it to another Renault garage, they obviously wanted to the to obligatory clip test, which obviously came back with no errors. But then the mechanic said did i want the THROTTLE HOUSING cleaned? Right this is the very last thing, so i agreed.

Now after all my troubles with this car, things might be psychological. But i'm not joking when i say i'm driving a different car. I just wanted to stop the starting problems, but i feel like they've chucked in a few more horses into the engine. When you put the foot down it goes, when i'm pulling away it's smooth quick and responsive. TOTALLY DIFFERENT, even te mechanic remarked what a difference it had made, and they never normally say anything.

It's still early days, but it cost me £49 inc the clip test. And it's made the biggest difference. I reckon the while the dephaser pulley was failing crap was building up in the engine and then being sucked through the throttle housing, you'd never normally have to have it cleaned at such a low mileage.

To anyone still having performance issues make sure you get this done.

:cool:

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Cleaning the throttle body is a known problem on the 1.6 and 1.4..

On this type of body the butterfly does not completely seal the plenum as it is designed to allow air past it for engine idle.. (replaces the idle control valve).. If the body or butterfly edge gets sooted up then the idle air supply is reduced and therfore induces stalling etc.. Cleaning cures the problem..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

snowy
Just Passed

Postby snowy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:48 pm

where is it?!! what does it look like?!! what do i clean it with??!!! aaaarararaggaagarararahhhhhha!!!!! I NEED TO KNOW.... HEEELLLLP....!!!

STEVIE
Advanced Driver

Postby STEVIE » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:58 pm

Me to my 1.4 is really crap when setting off i feel like i cant drive

steve
http://www.meganesport.net welcome all members of Megane II Owners Club

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:56 am

snowy wrote:where is it?!! what does it look like?!! what do i clean it with??!!! aaaarararaggaagarararahhhhhha!!!!! I NEED TO KNOW.... HEEELLLLP....!!!

clean it with carburettor cleaner spray / cloth.
the bit that is been discussed in where the Air intake goes into the engine, so it is at the end of the tubing from the air filter that goes around the right hand side and back at the top of the engine.
i'm not sure which bits you need to remove as i don't have my haynes manual handy at the minute.

snowy
Just Passed

Postby snowy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:33 pm

thanks mate. ill have a look under there tomorrow, if it doesnt snow/rain/hail..........cheers for the info! a wee pic of it would help though! :cool:

acf_1

Postby acf_1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:16 pm

I do have a haynes manual, if i can find a good picture i'll post it up. But it won't be till monday now.

By the way the car is still running brilliantly one week after the cleaning. But i'm still not holding my breath just. At least i'm enjoying driving the thing now.

The more that know about this easy fix the better. Especially as it seems that it could be something most people can do themselves.

My mates are all stumped, yeh they know that cleaning the throttle housing needs to be done occasionally. But normally to old cars, or at least never before 40k. How mine got so stuffed up in 4 years and 27k miles, is worrying sign. But i guess i'll never know how the previous owner drove it.

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:08 am

In my experience, the throttle body needs a good clean every 3-4 months.

I clean mine every 3 months (I remove it and use a soft cloth and carb cleaner)

I spent the last summer driving around in the city (clocked in about 7000kms in a 3-4 months)

I could tell immediately that the throttle body had been clogged up.

So I removed it and I couldn't believe the amount of soot that had accumulated around the butterfly.

Cleaned it and everything's fine now :)

There's a nice picture guide on the how-to section of the forum I think ;)
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

snowy
Just Passed

Postby snowy » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:44 pm

cheers guys. ill have a look!

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm

i have a similar problem on my 1.4- poor acceleration, MPG and mid range pull...extremely frustrating..feels 25BHP down on normal-especially when its warm..tho its still intermittent..is cleaning the throttle housing something that can be done at home?... :roll:

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm

i have a similar problem on my 1.4- poor acceleration, MPG and mid range pull...extremely frustrating..feels 25BHP down on normal-especially when its warm..tho its still intermittent..is cleaning the throttle housing something that can be done at home?... :roll:

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Re: I didn't know this, maybe you didn't either!

Postby keeforelli » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:09 pm

just had throttle body cleaned!!!!..my god it feels different!..every 1.4 owner with a few 000ks should get this done ..its like the car has been chipped!!..feels new again!!
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

VeryFrustrated
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.6VVT 2004

Postby VeryFrustrated » Tue May 13, 2008 1:55 pm

Oh my god! The first post sounds just like my car. The starting and stalling straight away is getting soooooo annoying aswell! I also have a 4 yr old megane thats done about 27k miles

Keeforelli - Can you tell me please how much this costed you to get it cleaned?

Thanks very much

keeforelli
Pass Plus

Postby keeforelli » Tue May 13, 2008 4:38 pm

hi there...

it cost one hours labour + VAT at a local garage- about £45...bargain if that what is needed!!!

(obviously not a renault garage!!!)
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

VeryFrustrated
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.6VVT 2004

Postby VeryFrustrated » Wed May 14, 2008 6:53 am

Brilliant thanks very much, will ring around :)

Return to “Problems / Questions”