Windscreen washer pump replacement

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

L15

Windscreen washer pump replacement

Postby L15 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:42 am

How do i change the washer pump on a 2004 Renault Megane. Can take off the trim under the bumper and if so how? If not how do i take off the front bumper?

GreyMeg
Learner Driver

Postby GreyMeg » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:25 am

I believe it's a bumper off job, as with most jobs on the Megane.....
2004 1.9dci - 18'' Spyder Blacks - Black Lexus Lights - MP3 - Panoramic Roof - Climate - Heated Seats

fergie

Postby fergie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:58 pm

i replaced my washer pump today without the need to remome the front bumper. and it only took me 90 mins.
jack the car up and put axle stand under it and remove the wheel.
remove the fromt half of the wheel arch liner, ( 5 plastic clips and 2 torx head screws) you can now see the washer bottle.
under the front corner of the bumper, pop the small retaining rivet that holds the front part of the plastic under tray to the bumper and then push this up and you will see the front of the washer bottle and the pump. this is easier with 2 people as one person can hold the plastic under tray out of the way while you remove the pump.
to remove the pump you have to pull the top of the pump away from the bottle a little to release it from 2 plastic ridges in the bottle that hold it in place. this can be done from under the car as you can see it better. then go to the wheel arch and reach in to the pump and pull it out and you can bring it towards the wheel arch as there is enough slack in the pipes and elictrical connection.
you can now replace the pump with your new one easily.
refitting is just a case of pushing the elictical connection on and the water pipes. remember to put the pipes on the correct nossle reach back in with the pump all connected and push the pump back into the washer bottle.
test it works before you put the arch liner back on.
go back under the car and clip the corner of the plastic under tray back into place. i used a small self tapper screw from the top inside the wheel arch just to be sure it did not pop out later.
refit the arch liner and the wheel
you are now finished.

this whole job took me 90 minutes. i did it on my drive and am so happy i did not have to remove my bumper.

all the tools i needed were a small flat screwdriver to get the plastic clips from the wheel arch, a small torx head to remave the 2 screws, and larger flat screwdriver to prise the plastic undertray apart.

i hope this helps others.

MikeLB
Passed Theory

Re: Windscreen washer pump replacement

Postby MikeLB » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:56 pm

I can beat 90 minutes - I managed it in 10!

Jack up front driver side, unscrew the lower 2 wheel arch liner screws, bend the liner back a bit. Stick your hand round and pull the motor out towards the front of the car - There is enough slack in the tubes and cables to then lower the motor, swap the cables / tubes and then plug back into bottle.

Also worth noting the unit is actually a Peugeit / Citroen one .....
Insert Witty Comment Here!

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:37 pm

MikeLB wrote:Also worth noting the unit is actually a Peugeit / Citroen one .....

Also worth noting that the part number (9641553980) on the pump wasn't recognised by a Peugeot dealership when I first went there to ask for a (hopefully less expensive than the Renault stealership) replacement pump. So maybe it's a Citroën number instead??? Didn't bother going to Citroën though, as I found a replacement pump from a local motor factor for only €19,90....

Equally worth noting that, besides the Peugeot/Citroën number, there should also be a Renault part number (7700428386) cast on the OE pump... :grin

And barely worth noting :mrgreen: that a pump with the same part number is also used for the headlight washers. I had to replace one as the previous owner had burned it. I must say that as it's not a high-pressure pump the headlight washers are absolutely useless at their job. The nozzles just gently sprinkle the lights with no cleaning action whatsoever. But somehow they still fulfill the requirements of the law! The automotive industry must be paying the EU well.....
2,0 16V 6-speed manual: Image - Image

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 pm

this pump does the biz at £15 all in

https://www.wiperblades4u.co.uk/pump_app.php select renault, megane ii and date (doh) (other stores are available)

also grab some of these jokers as i trashed mine getting them out luckily i had some

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=m ... &_from=R40 (megane wheel arch trim clips, black ones with a small hole in middle) (other stores are available)

i changed wifes by removing three trim clips from wheel arch liner and the two torx screws didnt remove all five as the first three allowed me to move the trim back out of my way enough to gain access, left wheel on and didnt jack up moved steering to left lock, didnt take too long, to aid in dragging pump out you can disconnect the two pipes further up, trace the rear clear pipe up into top of wheel arch you will find a back to back pipe union disconnect them, the front jets pipe is black and feed up behind the headlight assy follow back a few inchs and you will find another back to back union, this helps as i could not get the pipes of the pump itself as i was as said working with car on ground and had limited space (only one hand in) once removed the pipes were difficult still to get off so a soak in a mug of hot water helped ease them off, you can now transfer the pipes onto the new pump before fitting, clear pipe to white outlet, black pipe to black outlet (at last something makes sense), if on removing the old pump the back rubber seal comes with it, carefully fit seal to bottle and smear a thin film of vaseline (other petroleum products are, oh you get the pictue) around the inside of the it to help the new pump slide in (going of topic)

the electric plug was a pain and had to be taken of first and put back on last by touch as i couldnt see it,

lastly remember to refit the pipes disconnected from the back to back connectors and test before putting wheelarch back together
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Return to “Problems / Questions”