pressure sensor monitors or lack of!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jamieator

pressure sensor monitors or lack of!

Postby jamieator » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:53 pm

hello again second post second problem. since buying my megane had the rear left tyre pressure sensor fault warning and the appropriate tyre has dissapeared from the display. bought a new monitor today from renault and had it fitted by kwik fit. however the plot thickens. not only has the new sensor failed to change anything now the front tyre has a problem. straight awy from kwik fit the dash reported that the front right has a puncture and i had to stop. howver the was clearly no puncture. after about 10 mins driving the puncture message changed to both front right and rear left showing as tyre pressure sensor fault. went into a not so local unfriendly renault garage and they said that the sensor i had just bought from them needed to be coded in to my car at a cost of at least £60 each. i had assumed and the kwik fiot guy assumed ot was more a case of just resetting the pressure monitor??? any help on this would be much appreciated

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:40 pm

not too au fait with the sensors... but I'm pretty sure that all the sensors have to be coded to the car and each one must stay in it's position as it was set.
i.e. your front right sensor must stay in that position at all times... same with the other 3 sensors.

quite annoying if you want to rotate your tyres.

jamieator

Postby jamieator » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:41 pm

id agree with what u said it seems to suggest the same in the manual. spoken to another renault garage today and they want 75 quid to code the sensors and 30 quid if the front one needs replacing plus 30 quid on top to fit a new sensor (that kwik fit charged £5 and took mins) am going to speak to a renault minute garage laster and see what they say.

jamieator

Postby jamieator » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:44 pm

forgot to ask before. is there not a way of turning the whole system off so im not paying loads every time a sensor has a fit. because if i just get the sensors taken out then i will still have the obvious warnings on the dash

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:11 pm

jamieator wrote:forgot to ask before. is there not a way of turning the whole system off so im not paying loads every time a sensor has a fit. because if i just get the sensors taken out then i will still have the obvious warnings on the dash

Yes your friendly Renault stealer can do this for you
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

jamieator

Postby jamieator » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:41 pm

cool thats something to bear in mind then. however do they still charge the first £75 quid fee to do this?

jamieator

Postby jamieator » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:08 pm

well bit of an update. went to renault today and had new rear sensor coded in and faulty one recoded. they also told me that a tird sensor was knackered and would need replacing but that the other two were ok now. so got in the car only to find all 4 sensors were working ok. this lasted about 10 mins down the dual carriageway and then the newly the two original offending sensors came back up again (the faulty one and the new one) but they one they claimed was broken is still ok. would the car have rejected the coding or something??

Deano16v
Advanced Driver

Postby Deano16v » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:40 pm

is there any way of checking if you have the bits installed? the wheels on my display are blank (not filled in). does that mean i dont have the system. my valves arent coloured either.

is it something i can retro fit
DCi 120 for sale, 52,000 miles, £3250 ono

Say..."Renno"
Learner Driver

Postby Say..."Renno" » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:56 pm

Found out today that i dont...happy days.. :lol:

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:43 am

Deano16v wrote:is there any way of checking if you have the bits installed? the wheels on my display are blank (not filled in). does that mean i dont have the system. my valves arent coloured either.

is it something i can retro fit

my understanding is that if you have pressure sensors the display shows blank wheels.
it becomes solid if there is a fault and the wheel on the display dissappears when the sensor is missing.
a couple of things makes me doubt this now. One of my tyres was down to 19psi, but no warning on the dash (how low does the pressure need to be to warn you ?). I also swapped a rear for the spare and still no difference in the display, although the other one is still in the boot so might still be recognising it ?
Now i think about it i'm going to take the "good" tyre away from the car completely and see what the display does.

EmJ

Postby EmJ » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Another problem with the whole system is that the batteries in the sensors will only last about 6 years before they need replacing. This again means replacing the whole sensor I think. Also if you have your tyres replaced bear in mind how the tyres are changed because if the garage damages the inflation valve again this will show up as a problem on the TPMS system and once again a change of valve and sensor plus the reprogramming of the tyre/system

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:03 pm

also swapped a rear for the spare and still no difference in the display

That would suggest you don't have this feature on your car. Cars without still have the tyres visible in the display on the dash, they just don't do anything.

jamieator

Postby jamieator » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:07 pm

spent another lovely morning in renault today and got my pressure monitors switched off. wasnt even charged for them to do this as goodwill (cars a 52 late) so was very happy and can confirm that with the system now happily off u still get the tyres shown on the dash display

Return to “Problems / Questions”