Electronic Fault...........Again

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Have you or know anyone who had a similar fault?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 38

ado
Advanced Driver

Electronic Fault...........Again

Postby ado » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:56 am

This has happend for the fifth time in two and half years. The milage between fault now have risen to 8000miles from 6000. This time it was even more eractic, the wipers was going on on their own and the headlights were also on. The electronic fault only seems to happen when the car is stopped for at least 5mins.

Had to call the AA as I did not carry any tools in the car to access the battery to reset. While waiting for the AA tried pulling out the fuses for the wipers and healights inside the glovebox but did not affect them :? .

AA finally arrived in 40mins and shown the fault and he did not know what to do except for disconnecting the battery. Did that for once and car was normal for 2sec the electronic fault was displyed on the dash again with all lights on but wipers not going :? .

We was then given the option of having the car recoverd to the city motors dealer in bristol or back home and given the hire car. It was not possible to arrange recovery back to overross (the local dealer) as the would be no secure lock up as the car cant be locked. We then asked him to disconnect the battery again and everything worked as normal and is still working fine. Would be going back to dealer tomorrow and leaving it with them until they sort it out. :evil:

During the electronic fault only the horn, electric mirrors, radio and power steering was being fed power and nothing else even harzard lights.

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:34 am

Our Migraine ll has been a real headache in this respect. Locked in, locked out, electric windows, 3 auto headlights/wiper units, slow headlamp dipping - 'E' regulations are that headlamps should dip instantly. On all the Phoenics and Migraine lls that I've driven this slow dipping has been very relevant - about 2 seconds - and at 60mph you've covered 176'. Not fair on oncoming drivers. The headlights have come on overnight and flattened the battery and there have been some other strange gremlins - instruments flashing with the needles going all over the place.

Then my wife was told that the reason the air bag light was on was because she had moved her seat too far back and disturbed the block connector :? !!!

Oh and in the early days you couldn't risk putting the car through a hand car wash where they used high pressure guns. The engine would die and refuse to restart :x . This was due to the fuse box leaking. After a couple of complaints a modified seal appeared as if by magic! Fortunately the AA knew what the problem was straight away as it "was a common fault." Apparently they had been dealing with the problem for about 9 months. So much for feedback to Renault!

BTW what does anybody make of the horn? I reckon it wouldn't drop an old lady in her tracks at 5 yards :twisted: . I asked about fitting a Laguna one and was told it would cost nearly £200 :shock: ! Now when you consider that there are Lagunas that cost less new than a 1.9dCi Dynamique it makes you wonder :roll: .
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

AndyAdmin
Site Admin

Postby AndyAdmin » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:10 am

The only elecrical fault i had was when a fuse went which stopped my windscreen wash working and my a/c

as for the horn...its rubbish, i wanted to upgrade mine but wasn't sure about how to go about it!
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Beer Reviews Beer Blog

It's Chilli up North.

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:35 pm

Andy I'll have a look to see if it is possible to fit a very small aftermarket set of air horns! Should just about be possible though we are pretty tight for space under the bonnet with the 1.9dCi engine! The feed to the original horn should do for the air horn relay. Fuse would probably want upgrading too.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:16 pm

Sorry to hear about the problem ado, I've never heard of anything similar though.

Re: the horn - it is PATHETIC!!
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

ado
Advanced Driver

Postby ado » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:16 pm

Forgot to mention but time time the electronic fault happend after the engine was switched on. I had to stall the engine as the start stop switch would not respond.

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:04 am

Very common fault on early Migraine lls. I'm surprised we haven't heard from WebCode on this one!

ado
Advanced Driver

Postby ado » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:58 am

Booked into dealer for friday 17th, they said they now have more techs so the lead time is shorter. Tech said both relays under the fuse box should be removed as it causes interference.

ado
Advanced Driver

Postby ado » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:12 am

Collected car this morning, they siad this time an RTE was working on the car and a relay for the headlamp washer was removed and changed.

Had a 1.416V Dynamique modus for courtesy car and they left the spare keys in the boot.
Racing Blue 197 with Climate, Xenons, Sunroof, electric folding mirrors and Milltek sport exhaust. Now at dealer.

Neil_Strudwick
Rally Driver

Postby Neil_Strudwick » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:33 am

Never had it, And i hope i never do!
Black Megane 1.6 Dynamic

sideswipe
Advanced Driver

fuse box

Postby sideswipe » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:27 pm

Hi Guy/Gals
I am a new member so if this is posted in the wrong part sorry :( .I have had problems with my Megane a week after picking it up , first there was the coil 2 weeks later another coil a fault but reault will not replace all four just as and when they go .Next was the boot , sometimes it would open sometimes it would ,told it was a fault they were looking into .
Get a tea or coffee the list goes on.

Next up was the electic window's ,that was beacuse of a wire and runner, all fixed and back on the road again ,what next yeah , I got a new rear box and twin tail pipe fitted , cost over £300 and something with the middle section was told I modified it wasnt there problem , took it to another reault dealership and they fixed it .And now comes the biggie :( was driving through the rain this morning and all sorts went on , lights wiper all lights in dash engine wouldnt stop had to stall it .Called out the AA was told it was water and it was a fault that is in these's car's took my car to renault now they said I went rhoguha puddle and the cost to repair as it isnt covered by warranty £3:500 ,yes thats right three thousand five hundred pounds .and to top that I have just ordered the 225 from them :( cannot go back on it now all sealed , if I were to leave the car with them it will still ocst me the same on the trade in so no win for me sa far but I dont give up without a fight .

So guy's please post if you have had the same problem and they have put their hands up to it
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

ado
Advanced Driver

Postby ado » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:39 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems. What year is your car as the early cars had a problem with the fuse box under the boonet letting water in and causing like yours. Webcode should be able to clarify this...he is actually browsing at the mo. :o

Oh yeah, the dealer actually replaced the part. Can't remember the name as the Megane has had many things replaced; UCH, gearbox to name a few.
Racing Blue 197 with Climate, Xenons, Sunroof, electric folding mirrors and Milltek sport exhaust. Now at dealer.

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:43 pm

Sideswipe: What the hell is your dealer replacing that is going to cost £3,500!!!

For your info there is a problem on early Megane II's where water gets into the PSU (Protection and switching Unit) that is located just behind the battery.. There is a fix that invloves a replacement cover to provide a better water seal..
The symptoms are as you have described..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

sideswipe
Advanced Driver

Postby sideswipe » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:17 pm

Sorry for the late reply guy's and many thanks too, My car was first registered on the 30/01/2003
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:45 pm

Sideswipe: What are they replacing that is costing you £3,500????
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

Return to “Problems / Questions”