WATER in door pockets!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

potdci
Learner Driver

Postby potdci » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:46 pm

I took mine to Renault a few weeks ago, it leeked with the smallest amount of rain but now it's fine :cool:
DARK MET BLUE DCI 120 + DTUK TUNING BOX & K&N Air Filter.

MeganeChick
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Black Gold '06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, blanking plate, custom air intake feed, RSTuning remap (255bhp), ITG panel filter, Samco silicon air intake pipe, Forge Intercooler, renaultsport alloy wheel decals, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

Postby MeganeChick » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:45 pm

kylehimself wrote:right peeps i seem to have fixed my problem. il explain with some dodgy ms paint diagrams. this may have been done before, but in anycase heres my explanation.

as i said in this post the last time it really rained heavy i had 1 inch of water in each front door pocket of the car.

so i took my speaker cover/panel thingy off, unscrewed the speaker and removed it from its mount and disconnected the cable.

got a small-ish plastic bin bag and placed it in the the hole where the speaker would be. cut a small hole in the bag for the cable to come thru and sealed it tight again with tape. then i connected the speaker back to the cable and screwed it back in.

duct tapped all the excess plastic up to the door panel to seal the water out. finally (and this may not even needed done) i used a bit of silicon to seal the wee groove you can see at the bottom of the speaker mount where it meets with the door pocket just incase it was to let water in there. placed the speaker cover back on. and all is hidden.

we have had a few nights since with real heavy rain and the most i go was 2 wee drops in the passenger pocket. hope this helps.

good work on the diagram - but what about the wires that would attach to the back of the speaker? do you then have to cut a hole for them to go through the bag? im confused?
Last edited by MeganeChick on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
'06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, tuned, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:58 am

i think i mentioned that sarah, but i didnt draw it in. just slice he bag pull it through and tape it up good and tight.

since ive done this ive had no more than 2 wee drops on the passenger side. on one night. and we have had loads of heavy rain. the speakers still sound great so im happy.

btw, see the big hole on the top left of your pic you posted. i duct taped that up to and all the other big gaps and spaces on the door panel just to be safe.

kyle :cool:

MeganeChick
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Black Gold '06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, blanking plate, custom air intake feed, RSTuning remap (255bhp), ITG panel filter, Samco silicon air intake pipe, Forge Intercooler, renaultsport alloy wheel decals, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

Postby MeganeChick » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:36 pm

cool thanks kyle!! :)
'06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, tuned, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:48 pm

God alone knows what you will do to the acoustic properties of the speakers using such a DIY approach!

'Theoretically' the design for bass reproduction is likely to be that of an infinite baffle enclosure - the interior door space ought to feature in the design or selection of the drive unit as a function of it's Fs cut off frequency - strictly speaking the volume of air within the door enclosure will effect the performance of the speaker. An alternate design approach would be using the driver as a bass reflex design - these work on a similar principle, but use a vent as a Helmholtz resonator to lower the F3 cut off point, but usually with a quicker drop off below that of the infinite baffle.

Having said all that, it's better than having a partly submerged drive unit, and the design of most OEM sound systems in cars is terrible (mine is).

Dave
(ex hifi engineer)
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:02 pm

well dave all i can say is... wow. i have no idea what any of that means. but it sounds smart. :lol:

im no hi-fi engineer. however, as i said before, my speakers sound fine. to be honest i cant' say ive noticed them get any worse since my d.i.y. work. since i put the new pioneers in the only crap sound ive noticed is the back speakers. which other people who have upgraded can tell you. as im sure u can imagine yourslef. but so far so good.

kyle :cool:

sideswipe
Advanced Driver

Postby sideswipe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:28 am

Oh dear......get a coffee I feel a rant coming on ................as above car was in I got it bacj few days later same problem , although not door pocket but compartment in passenger side floor as they seal a small hole that was there since the car was built it was there for some reason but no one could answer why or what it did, so they contacted Ren France....wooot ...they said seal it up replace sound proofing renew felt and dry out the carpet....All the above was done but as I said few days later same problem.....................So car has been off the road since Monday , but hey they gave me a clio , brand new with 6k on the clock......wouldnt pull you out of bed 1.2 pffft, anyway I called them up yesterday they said they were replacing the windscreen as it was the seal that was causing the problem , I asked them to double check as that doesnt sound right, anyway she came back and said yes it was the windscreen.

So after about an hour it was bugging me I called again and was told they had the wing off everything has been done and they were water testing it I should have it today.........I have been told my car will be fully valeted everything done but not the seats............so I wait with baited breath and see what transpires today, will post as soon as I get home with or without the car.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

topherland
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci Authentique

Re: WATER in door pockets!

Postby topherland » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi, everyone. First posting on here. I've had my car about a month now and had this same problem, about an inch or so of water in the passenger door pocket everytime it rained. Asked at the local service centre and the guy said to take the door panel off and seal around the pocket. I've done this and ran a hose pipe all over and had rain since. Seems to be cured so far. The door panel is a complete swine to get off and on but I don't have a manual so there may be easier ways other than brute force and ignorance! The door pocket is obiously a seperate molding glued to the rest of the panel so I put plenty of clear silicone sealant all around the joint, squeezing it into every nook and cranny. Hope this helps. :-)

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:43 pm

Drill 4 small incision holes in the bottom of the door...any water running down inside can run out onto the sill instead of collecting up. Cars is galvanised and will not rust. Works for me. Also replace the window seals along the bottom of the window...or take them off let them lye in a bath in roasting hot water to clean them out.
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:38 pm

Nige wrote:Drill 4 small incision holes in the bottom of the door...any water running down inside can run out onto the sill instead of collecting up. Cars is galvanised and will not rust. Works for me. Also replace the window seals along the bottom of the window...or take them off let them lye in a bath in roasting hot water to clean them out.

But the water collects in the door pocket, if you drill holes in bottom of it water is going to run out and soak carpet instead. Unless you drive with the door open! :shock:

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:45 pm

I suppose everyones motor handles the issue different i agree...i just found out by doing this helped drain the water onto the outer sill of my car.

There must be a method to the madness of solving the issue as not everyones does it.....millions of meganes about.
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

rich2010
Currently Drives:: Megane

Postby rich2010 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:31 am

Hi Kind Megane Folks !

I just bought a 55 Plate Megane 1.9 DCI Dynamique 130 E4 and it has this issue, so I've got some silicone glue etc but am unsure whether I need to take off just the speaker cover, or the whole door panel? If anyone can muster a few lines/paragraphs on this (the process of removing the relevant bits) I'd be really made up.

I've also PM'd a user (Ulrich) here about cleaning the general water drain, as I've searched for hours but have only found mention to instructions, not the actually instructions themselves, if anyone can point me to some for cleaning that out it would be very cool.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best Regards

Rich

rich2010

Postby rich2010 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Anybody out there have any instructions for the door panel removal, or should I buy a haynes manual? :cry

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:27 pm

rich2010 wrote:Anybody out there have any instructions for the door panel removal, or should I buy a haynes manual? :cry

I tentatively suggest you look in the links section for the online manuals.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

rich2010

Postby rich2010 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:15 pm

davelowe wrote:
rich2010 wrote:Anybody out there have any instructions for the door panel removal, or should I buy a haynes manual? :cry

I tentatively suggest you look in the links section for the online manuals.

Thanks Chap, I found them in there (eventually!), they are in the Megane Repair (MR365) Document available here;

http://www.uas-bg.com/meganii/eng/MR365MEGANE7.pdf

It is area 72A.

Will print this out a give it a bash at the weekend.

TYpically my lack of patience means I now also have a Haynes Manual on the way I won't likely need!

Best Regards

Rich

Return to “Problems / Questions”