Engine cutting out - 1.6VVT

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

snowy
Just Passed

Postby snowy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:26 am

make sure to let us know of any improvement when you get it done.

1867swfc

Stalling Start

Postby 1867swfc » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:58 pm

I have just bought a 1.6 VVT last week.

I am also having problems with the 'stalling start'.

Will be quoting the dephaser pulley at my dealers.......

weaversrenault

Try Camshaft Sensor

Postby weaversrenault » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:52 pm

I have just had a similar problem. In October had some stalling and had the Crankshaft sensor replaced by Renault £150. OK for a while but..

Recently I had exactly the symptom you describe. It was the Camshaft sensor on the top of the engine. I replaced it myself, part cost £35 but I saved the £90per hour labour. I'm OK with a spanner but would not call myself a mechanic. It is held in place with one bolt and has one harness connector, I removed the no.4 coil pack to give access to the bolt and disconnected the battery to ensure no electrics problems. The new sensor did not have an O ring seal so I transfered this from the old one.

petesafc

Postby petesafc » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:16 am

My 1.6vvt used to cut out as soon as i dipped the clutch and the interior lights would come on.The AA man ran a diagnostic and it showed the camshaft sensor to be the problem like the previous reply said.Cost £30 for the part and a doddle to fit!I still get the metallic grinding noise occasionally on start up then it dies i think this is dephaser related. :(

1867swfc

Postby 1867swfc » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:29 pm

I have had to have a new dephaser pulley, ignition coils and cambelt fittings. New rear windscreen and handbrake!!

Not going well............

newbon
Currently Drives:: Renualt Megane Dynamique Petrol (2003)

Re: Engine cutting out - 1.6VVT

Postby newbon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:35 pm

i have the same problem engine cuts out after aprox 2mls from cold interior light comes on and engine cuts out, the megane is a 2003 with 38000 mls . intermitant fault. as i am a mechanic i will price camshaft dephaser pulley as see what is involved in replacing this part, thanks for info and helping to diagnoise the fault

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:05 pm

newbon wrote:i have the same problem engine cuts out after aprox 2mls from cold interior light comes on and engine cuts out, the megane is a 2003 with 38000 mls . intermitant fault. as i am a mechanic i will price camshaft dephaser pulley as see what is involved in replacing this part, thanks for info and helping to diagnoise the fault

just had mine done.
if you have a dephaser issue id expect a grinding noise on start-up...and then it will start to cut out straight away unless plenty of gas is given...the noise goes after a second and the car idle ok after that and didn't stall afterwards.
you issue doesn't sound the same ?

anyway the part is £130 main dealer only...i even contacted Delphi who manufacturer it and they said it's still tied into Renault, there is no after-market version.
and you also obviously need new cambelt kit.
ensure you get the part# ending 505..this is the latest revision.
my mechanic has had a bit of a nightmare changing it over...i don't think he locked the cams, so all the timing needed to be reset by some special tools and it took him quite a while.
anyway got the car back today and all seems ok.

snoopdutt1985
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 16V Dynamique in Black

Postby snoopdutt1985 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:32 pm

i have had exactly the same problem today, cold start, cut out after 3 miles of driving everytime the revs reached idle, which was a nightmare to drive.... Reved it upto 5000rpm while coasting down main road and the problem just appread to stop and then did remainder of trip without a worry (strange). It is also very wet in manchester at the moment (for a change) im wondering wheterh a sensor could be damaged / wet?

I have only had the car for 2 months and have bought the car just after a service where the Dephaser Pulley was replaced elagedly ( i do have a service ticket for this however)

My car has also recently had a new battery fitted could this have anything to do with it?

not enjoying the megane at all and already thinking of gettin rid before the new shape comes out and destroys used prices!

any help much apprecaited
Renault Megane 1.6VVTI Dynamique, Black,

paulrom
Currently Drives:: 03 plate megane 1.6 vvt

Postby paulrom » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:50 pm

also having the same problem and not getting anywhere with getting it resolved only had the car for 2 months and getting reaaly depressed with this is this somthing that rneault recocknise as a common fault ??????????????

what sort of cost am i looking at to replace it :eek :eek :eek

engelbert
Currently Drives:: 04 1.6VVT Scenic
05 Clio 182

Postby engelbert » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:45 pm

Have had the car and problem for 2 years and had the same cutting out issue when starting up first thing (it seems to be worse when its colder in the morning). Have also had a rachety grinding noise when trying to start on a few occasions - doesnt sound healthy ! After reading the posts I guess its the Dephaser pulley issue. Also the mpg is down to 30 max even on a run !
I phoned local Renault dealer with the symptoms today and they realed off a list of possibilites except the dephaser. When I mentioned the dephaser pulley and all the internet postings the technician said it was unlikely. Car is now booked in for diagnotics and download only.
Ill see what they say -
Update : Went to Renault Honiton and the diagnostics said Camshaft sensor. Afterwards I mentioned if it could be the dephaser pulley and they had heard of no such problem !! I have more faith in this website than the dealer so Ive just had the dephaser pully changed at my local garage- £117 for pulley,£97 for belts, water pump was also leaking £44. £500 all in - ouch !! So far so good but its not been very cold lately.
Update - Its not fixed ! Im getting rid of the crap.

04 Scenic 1.6VVT 22,000 Miles. Problems - Air con blower resistor/new loom £350 ! Poor Mpg, stalling.
Last edited by engelbert on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Loafhead
Currently Drives:: 52 plate Megane II 1.6 vvt

Postby Loafhead » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Just joined this forum as a result of a strange knocking noise from the n/s/f of the car, which I will post pics of what and "the fix" at the weekend.

I assume most people who have posted, will have resolved their issues by now, but for those who haven't this was my situation:

When my car was 4 yrs old (Dec 07), it started cutting out, when engine was cold and especially when rain had fallen. I at first assumed it was the key, not being used to a key less ignition, I changed the battery and assumed all would be fine. The problem then became more persistent and after a visit to Renault Dealer and no problem found (as the trip computer did not log the fault), the car decided to start stalling in 5th gear at 40 m.p.h. The car was towed to the dealership and a £400 job was on the cards to re-place dephaser. Money was paid, car was fixed (or so I thought). 3 weeks later car wouldn't start 1st time and cutting out at junctions. Very irate I returned to the dealership, 1 week later and a free hire car to boot, they had replaced the TDC which they wanted to charge £130 for, I told them no chance and threatened legal action due to the dangerous condition (as the car was not fixed 1st time), fee was waved and re-fund for the £400 for a mis-diagnosed job. The garage was Lookers in Stockport if that helps anyone to avoid there in future. The car has been fine since.

I appreciate this won't be the case for all, but always worth fighting your corner if they have missed something in a garage or you have paid out for a problem that didn't need to be fixed.

Loafhead
Currently Drives:: 52 plate Megane II 1.6 vvt

Postby Loafhead » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:05 am

Just made lots of calls to the HQ of Lookers and produced the receipts for the work they had carried out, that hadn't fixed the problem. The dealership was annoyed (I guess because they have sales targets to achieve) I would have paid the £130 if, they had got it right first time.

No "legal" letters were made and I hadn't spoken to any law firms. I did a Google and found examples of problems Lookers dealerships all over England had missed in the past. This seemed to be enough to swing it for me.

SGZ8028Z
Currently Drives:: Megane Sport Tourer, Mfg 2007, Registered Jan2008.

Postby SGZ8028Z » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi folks,
Like to ask if I must also ask for a dephaser replacement when every morning when pulling/moving off, I have to rev hard to >3000rpm then can feel the car moving. Else it is very draggy and lots of resistent in moving off. Then after the warming up, it seems ok. Past 1-2weeks, at times idle rpm seems to dip a little 700+rpm. Then went back normal. Did not experience engine die off... hope not...
The workshop guys tells me the same, its normal when engine is cold. Temp here in morning reads abt 26-27degress celcius. I have tried a few of their courteous car, sedan, tourer, 2litres ones, all seems did not have this issues when starting out cold. Too many problems since day1...
Thanks.
Mine is a 1.6VVT auto Tourer 34000KM, 15mths from new.

Mick
Passed Theory

Re: Dephaser pulley fault

Postby Mick » Sun May 24, 2009 11:25 am

Just got 42,000 miles on the clock in my 2004 Megane 1.6 and the dreaded dephaser is clattering on start up. This only happens after the car has cooled off for a couple of hours otherwise its OK. It seems to me the seals or solenoid that control the oil to the pulley are knackered and oil is draining back into the sump.

Is it possible to replace the seals and solenoid without changing the dephaser pulley :?:
2004 1.6 VVT 115BHP

Mick
Passed Theory

Postby Mick » Sun May 24, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, will get my local independent dealer to quote for a replacement pulley , why have i not replaced this car by now :roll: I've experienced all the usual problems pencil coils, window regulators etc even my dealer says "its the worst car renault have ever produced" :banghead
2004 1.6 VVT 115BHP

Return to “Problems / Questions”