Warranty Concern

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

fac51

Warranty Concern

Postby fac51 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi,

I bought my 05 Megane from Arnold Clark's last November and am worried about my warranty. They told me it had 3 years manufacturers warranty (so I was covered for another 2 years).

The thing is my log book has only got one service recorded, the one they did before I picked my car up where they changed the oil and water.

The cars done 14,000 miles and it's now telling me service due soon. Will I have any problems with if i need to claim anything under the warranty as I've read all services must be done at Renault Dealers? If anyone knows I would be grateful.

Cheers

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:19 pm

A manufacturers warranty runs from the original date of purchase for the first owner. In this case, sometime in 2005.

You manufacturers warranty is therefore going to expire sometime between March and September this year.

It's possible Arnold Clark provided you with additional warranty but you'll have to check yourself on that one.

It's possible they forgot to stamp your book on the first service, but it depends on what your service interval is. 18k or 12k.. or even 9k.
Mine's an 05 and I've just had my 36k service but i do an average amount of miles.

fac51

Postby fac51 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Ah sorry I meant an 06 reg . :oops:

They told me it had a 3 year manufacturer warranty and as it was registered in Sep 06 it seemed that I had just under 2 years left. Now I think they've shafted me as I have no official confirmation of the warranty terms.

I'll have to phone Renault tomorrow and see what they have to say but I'm worried they'll give me a line that it wasn't serviced at a Renault dealer or something and therefore not covered

LloydyLUFC

Postby LloydyLUFC » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:31 pm

If your car has been serviced within renaults guidelines, mileage or years, then you have warranty (as long as there is a stamp in the book) I think it is 18,000 miles or 2 years whichever is first

If not, unfortunately there is no warranty

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:09 pm

Of course, you are now stamped up to date. If they have serviced it to Renault standards then the lack of stamp from an earlier service (or lack of service) won't really make too much difference. They can argue that the lack of proof of service invalidates warranty, but they would really have to prove that the lack of servicing caused the potential warranty issue.

Just keep it serviced as per the schedule and you probably won't have any problems with the dealer
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

fac51

Postby fac51 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 am

Thanks for your replies.

I phoned Renault in yesterday and they said it was fine. It seems the service Arnold Clarke did was in guidelines but they didn't reset the computer so it's telling me I need another service soon when I don't

Going in to Arnold Clarke's on Saturday for them to hopefully reset it.

jim-boy

Warranty worries

Postby jim-boy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:23 am

You don't say which branch of Dick Turpin, sorry Arnold Clark you are dealing with. If it is East Lane in Paisley, in my experience you are in for a rough time. I do not believe that they do a proper service but spend most of the time the car is with them finding small faults which fall outside of any service agreement and can therefore be charged to you at extra profit for them.
The good news is that unless you have signed up for a service agreement with them you do not have to use Arnold Clark at all or indeed any Renault dealer. To keep the warranty valid, all you have to do is have the car serviced by a VAT registered garage, using genuine Renault parts (oill filters etc) in accordance with the service intervals as specified in the Service Guide.
Whatever you choose to do, good luck and enjoy the Forum.

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:58 pm

Just hold the end of the stalk button down and it will reset your service message for you
225 5dr FF + Xenons

http://www.meganesport.net

fac51

Postby fac51 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:55 pm

It was the Huddersfield Arnold Clarke and no I don;t have a service plan with them thank God. Cheers for the info regarding the servicing, it's good to know!

cactusbob wrote:Just hold the end of the stalk button down and it will reset your service message for you

Tried that but it didn't reset it, hopefully get it sorted on Sat.

EmJ

Postby EmJ » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:34 pm

Don't you need to go to the 'miles to next service' display and then hold it button in?, bearing in mind that you have to do it with just the ignition on and not the engine running. You don't have to use genuine renault parts when the vehicle is serviced, the only stipulation with warranties is that the parts used must be of equal or superior quality. I use cooper oil and air filters and these are deemed acceptable.

fac51

Postby fac51 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:12 pm

Sussed it, got it to reset - thanks for the tips, saved me a trip to Arnold Clarke's! :)

YoungTurk

Postby YoungTurk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:10 pm

My Megane (1.6 petrol) is due for its first service (it's just under a year old with 13600 miles). My nearest Renault dealer quoted 231 pounds for the service. I called MasterFit, out of interest, and they quoted 99 pounds! According to MasterFit, they are VAT registered so the warranty should be ok. However they said they did not use genuine Renault parts (only "equivalent" parts). Now, the saving is attractive but I am not sure about the quality of the parts. Should I still go to the dealer? Why are Renault services relatively expensive?

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:22 pm

YoungTurk

Ring Renault up and ask them what items need to be attended to on the service you require?

Make a list of the parts and then go and buy them from your nearest Renault dealer. Then take them down to Masterfit and get them to service the car using the genuine Renault parts.
Parts will probably cost you no more than £40-50 if that? Even from Renault!

Either that or find a good independant garage and do the same. As long as your book is stamped and serviced within the required time/mileage range your warranty will not be affected.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Return to “Problems / Questions”