air con advise?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

elvcis
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9 dci 2004

Re: air con advise?

Postby elvcis » Sat May 15, 2010 6:23 pm

The pressure switch is at the just of the bottom of the aircon rad, if you take the under cover off you should see it on the drivers side, its got three wires going into it. hopes this helps.

bigdaddygazza
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane II 1.9dCi Privilege

Postby bigdaddygazza » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:28 am

Hi thought I would share with you my AC problem.

Same situation, light on dash, compressor does not kick in. Had system checked - Full. Bloke said it must be an electrical problem. Had a bloke out who checked all the fuses and plugged a lap top in and said it must be the pressure switch for which I paid him £90 to tell me that. Managed to get a pressure switch off ebay and fitted this - nothing changed.

Now this is where I am looking for feedback, I spoke with my neighbour who had watched me working on my Megane. He said that his sister-in-law had the same issue. He said that every spring she would have to bring the car over to him so he could free up the compressor. He explained that the AC compressor works with a clutch type mechanisum. While the engine is running during the winter the middle of the compressor wheel does not spin, it is only when the AC kicks in that the cluch expands and engages with the spining part and your AC kicks in. During the winter salt etc can get into this and sticks. He explained that all he did was spray some WD40 in, leave for 5-10 mins and then fire up the car, press the button and Bob's your uncle AC working! he said it may take a couple of goes and maybe a little bit of help but worked every time.

Is it that easy? or am I just about to mess up my compressor / engine big time??????

I am going to try this weekend and see what happens as I have seen the money Euro Car Parts want plus a re-gas vs £3.50 on a tin of WD40.

:?

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:49 pm

I would advise against this, as when one sprays WD40, it naturally goes all over - any type of oil will cause the rubber accessory belt to perish. If extreme came to extremes and the belt did perish and snap, it would most likely cause the timing belt to snap too = £££££
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

AlVal
Currently Drives:: TVR Cerbera, Mercedes S55 AMG, Honda Civic Type R, Jaguar S Type 4.0 V8, Megane II 1.4 oasis

Postby AlVal » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:00 pm

did you get anywhere with this? join the air con problem club :(

bigdaddygazza
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane II 1.9dCi Privilege

Postby bigdaddygazza » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:12 am

AlVal wrote:did you get anywhere with this? join the air con problem club :(

Yes and no!

I went on the WD40 website and called the help line to double check the rubber issue. They informed me and pointed me to the page on the website which shows that WD40 does not damage rubber if sprayed near or onto it, however like all things if you leave it to soak in WD40 then you may be in trouble. (Just what I was told, so please everybody do not aim your views at me!!!)

The compressor wheel (outer) was turning with the engine switched on, so we then tried to move the inner part of the compressor wheel (without the engine running) and this was solid. We used the red stick that comes with the WD40 and sprayed this into one of the gaps so it got right into the compressor wheel, left it a while and then sprayed some more. We then could turn the inner compressor wheel by hand. This is now free, however when we start the engine and press the AC button, nothing! still does not engage! :(

Short of changing the compressor and full re-charge I am now at a loss! and if one more person says "Thats what you get for buying a Megane" .........

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:01 pm

today i saw a VW Polo TDI with its AC compressor wrecked...i suppose this way every car is bad, right?

ajsaville
Learner Driver

Postby ajsaville » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:51 pm

bigdaddygazza just wondering have you managed to sort your air con problem out yet.

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:26 pm

normally and unfortunately no posts means success...

i rather see some posts to help others.

ajsaville
Learner Driver

Postby ajsaville » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Very true Tomalamix but im also having problems with my air con which could be a electrical fault aswell.

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Well, resuming the sequence:

Does you system:

- blow motor works from 1 to 4 without any problem?
- AC light comes on?
- Do you ear a audible "click" when you press he AC button and have the blower setting for at least speed 1?
- Manual or Auto AC?

Cheers

ajsaville
Learner Driver

Postby ajsaville » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Tomalamix

- blow motor works from 1 to 4 without any problem?...........Yes
- AC light comes on?............Yes
- Do you ear a audible "click" when you press he AC button and have the blower setting for at least speed 1?........No
- Manual or Auto AC?.......Manual.

Story so far.I had it regased but made no differance.I contacted a mobile air con tech who told me there was no gas in the system( i trust the person who regased it in the first instance)The tech did a pressure test to 140 psi and said it was ok and no leaks he then regased it but still no air con.He then said it could be a electrical fault but he does not do them.

If im not carefull i could end up going in circles.So any pointers would be most usefull.

Cheers.

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:10 pm

i would go now for the pressure switch. Its attached on the condenser, attached with all the radiators on the front. Looking from the front of the car, its on the left lower corner of the radiators, 3 wire plug. That small round cylinder attached to the condenser is the pressure switch. Try to take it out, clean the contacts, put some contact spray and put it in again. after this if it still doesnt work you will need to go for a OBD scan that will point you to a pressure switch fault (cheap and easy replaceable) or a dead compressor (not so easy and cheep to replace...). The compressors can be repaired, but im not the proper guy to advise how to do it and what skills do you need to do it.

good luck

ajsaville
Learner Driver

Postby ajsaville » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Thank you tomalamix. I have arranged to have the system checked just to make sure i have not lost any gas if thats ok i will start checking the pressure switch. Looks like it might be easier to remove the front bumper to get to the switch and check there is no corrosion on the contacts.

Thanks again.

ajsaville
Learner Driver

Postby ajsaville » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:09 am

Well looks like i have a leak after all.Had the system rechecked and it only recovered 375 gms of refrigerant.Fully charged it would have recovered 550 gms.
Can anyone recommend a code reader that can read air con error codes.Although the code reader they had at the garage was a good one it failed to pick up anything relating to the air con.

Cheers

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:36 am

there isnt a code reader for the AC, at least for what it concerns to gas leaks or ac compressor. I think you only can check the pressure switch on the computer and also if there is a confirmed demand for the AC compressor kick in, despite that i think there is no computer. you will need some equipment, like the common called "gas leak reveler", that you will have to introduce in the AC system and with a UV light you will be able to see where is the leak, going all the way where the AC pipework goes. Sometimes the leak is the regas valve, its a valve like the tyres, the sealant perishes and the gas come out...

good luck

Return to “Problems / Questions”