52 Megane II won't start

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

supergraeme

52 Megane II won't start

Postby supergraeme » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:15 pm

Hello, my 52 plate (2003) Megane II Privilege (35k on the clock), won't start. I've owned it for a year and it has happened intermittently, but never this bad. Previously it would start if I left it for an hour or so, but now it's just failing for entire days - but the next day it'll be fine. It seems to happen more often when it's cold.

Basically, I press the start button, all the lights come on, the air comes on, the radio comes on, but the engine doesn't turn over. There's a very faint beep that I don't hear normally, but it may well always be there but masked by engine noise. Everything happens as normal, except the engine doesn't turn over or start.

Managed to tow-start it recently while being towed to my local garage, prompting the breakdown guy to say it was the starter. Local garage said it definitely wasn't the starter, they thought it was the start button signal not always reaching the engine - which could only be fixed by Renault. Took it to Renault Romford who did the diagnostic check (which somehow took them two days), and said nothing was wrong with it. It also started every time they tried it, so they ccouldn't see the problem. Anyone got any ideas?

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Hi and welcome supergraeme, what engine does your Megane have? When you say the engine doesn't start, do you mean theres just no cranking or anything? just silence?
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

supergraeme

Postby supergraeme » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:00 pm

Whoops, it's a 1.6. There isn't any noise at all from the engine.

supergraeme

Postby supergraeme » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:50 pm

Just managed to bump-start it again. Immediately after it wouldn't start again, but after five minutes of trying it did. So definitely not the starter.

Thanks everyone.

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:41 pm

you should get a click before the starter fires up, this is the starter solonoid, if it is clicking then possible starter motor not getting juice or is bust.

if no click you have either a sticky solonoid, no juice to solonoid or it is bust, for a sticky solonoid (which would be more affected by the cold)you can sometimes get them to go with a couple of lightish taps on its side i used to use the plastic end of a screwdriver then try restarting. the solonoid is normally situated on the side of the starter motor,
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:50 pm

Check your coil packs, instructions here:

https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=6200

If everything there fine then have dephaser pulley checked.

Both the above can give starting and running problems
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

nickyanc

Re: 52 Megane II won't start

Postby nickyanc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi,I'm new here and have the same problem with my Megane II 2005 1.6.I can not get my engine to turn over atall.I have checked fuse 19(starter)-ok starter relay ok.checked the clutch and brake switches by removing them from the bracket so they act as both brake and clutch are pressed in= still nothing.Tried to hook up the scanner but it can not comunicate with the car because I don't know how to switch ignition ON on this french invention with the card/start.One thing I've notice after I remove the brake and clutch switches from their place in the metal braket,was that the bord computer is keep telling me to press the cluch+brake to start the car so I'm confused now,are they both faulty?The rear brake lights are ON so at least the brake switch is OK.Do you have to have both pedals press in or either one for the car to start?I ussualy press the clutch in to start it.Are the brake and clutch switch the same(they look identical),can I swap them @(I didn't check if the wire plugs are the same.Theoreticaly with both switches removed from the braket the computer should get the signal that both pedals are press in. :banghead Anyone can put some light to this dilema will be much apreciated,thank you

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Supergraeme,
How is the battery? Have you tried reading the OBD codes in the process of the failure? ELM327 reader is cheap on ebay. Ignore the comments about the coils or dephaser.

Nickyanc,
You obviously did not study the manual before attempting to read the codes. Keep the Start button pressed for more than 5 seconds without touching brake or clutch in order to power up the engine electronics without actually starting the engine.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

nickyanc

Postby nickyanc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks Alex,you are right I did not read the manual(the ignition ON part,did read about the fuses),because I thought I won't find anything in there about that(ussualy car manufatures want you to take it to the dealer as often as posible)I did find searching through the forums posts that I might have a steering lock isue here,cause I do get the warnings about steering beeing locked or unlocked at some stages.I don't know if actually it is locked or not have to check tomorrow cause the car is at the mechanic.I will also check the remedy with the loose orange fuse near the battery terminal.The battery is fine,mechanic has checked that but I will double check to make sure.Thanks for the reply,this forum rocks :rock :hug

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Do you know that there are end switches on the gear stick. Brake start (as opposed to the clutch start) will not work if a gear is engaged ... or if one of the gear switches is dead. Try fixing the clutch switch and use it for starting. Its wires are frequently break off, as they are too short (design fault). If this doesn't help, then start looking at the immobiliser, steering lock, card reader and on board network. The starter may be playing up, but it would have been easily diagnosed by the garage.

nickyanc wrote:Hi,I'm new here and have the same problem with my Megane II 2005 1.6.I can not get my engine to turn over atall.I have checked fuse 19(starter)-ok starter relay ok.checked the clutch and brake switches by removing them from the bracket so they act as both brake and clutch are pressed in= still nothing.Tried to hook up the scanner but it can not comunicate with the car because I don't know how to switch ignition ON on this french invention with the card/start.One thing I've notice after I remove the brake and clutch switches from their place in the metal braket,was that the bord computer is keep telling me to press the cluch+brake to start the car so I'm confused now,are they both faulty?The rear brake lights are ON so at least the brake switch is OK.Do you have to have both pedals press in or either one for the car to start?I ussualy press the clutch in to start it.Are the brake and clutch switch the same(they look identical),can I swap them @(I didn't check if the wire plugs are the same.Theoreticaly with both switches removed from the braket the computer should get the signal that both pedals are press in. :banghead Anyone can put some light to this dilema will be much apreciated,thank you
Last edited by AlexB on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

whufc1990
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: megane II 2.0 DYNAMIQUE black

Postby whufc1990 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:34 pm

hi mate i had the exact same problem and mine was just the wires that go to the clutch pedal had worn because of wear and the garage said that the wires were really short so they replaced the wires and made them a bit longer hope this helps ..

nickyanc

Postby nickyanc » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:12 am

Update:Check the orange fuses-ok clutch wires they ok.I still can not get ignition ON to scan the system.I keep getting steering lock/unlock message but the steering is not locked.Could be that the steering locking mechanism/module beeing faulty I can not get ignition ON either?

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:42 am

It looks more and more like the car is locked, rather than any end switches malfunctioning. Could you please describe what happens when you deadlock the car, then unlock, put the card in, etc.? Watch the display and the immobiliser light. Does anything change when the card is inserted? What happens when you press and hold (for longer than 5 seconds) the Start with the card in and not touching the pedals? Have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the system? Does any other electrics work?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

nickyanc

Postby nickyanc » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:33 am

back again to :banghead .The car locks all 4 doors,immob. light flashing,unlock car and immob. light still flashing,insert card press clutch in,Start button than SERVICE light is on and display STEERING LOCKED & immob. light still flashing,hand brake light is ON in the display but all windos,blower fan demister buttons work,radio as well(asking me for the code).One thing I noticed when I open drivers door and all the other 3 are closed on the dash I get the RED car light showing me all doors open.Now I havent paid much attention before if only the open door should be showing open on the red car light or all of them.When I lock the car with the card all the interior/door lights turns OFF.When I take the card out I get STEERING NOT LOCKED & SERVICE light ON.If I push Start more than 5 sec I get SERVICE light ON,immob. light flashing and STEERING LOCKED on the display.The immob. light flashing continuosly no matter what I do, so I leave it to the experts.The mechanic quoted me for the steering lock module AU$1020 + VAT(sorry I forgot to mention that I'm from Australia)+AU$270 to program the unit,labour don't know yet,so back to my :banghead and :cry: thinking how much is going to cost me.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:37 am

Please read these pages

https://ray-lee.co.uk/megane/dialogys/MR366MEGANE8.pdf
pp. 314, 343, 368-...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”