engine cutting out and rough idle. Any help/advise please.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Rachel

engine cutting out and rough idle. Any help/advise please.

Postby Rachel » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:03 pm

I have read about the various problems with this as this is exactly the problem with my Megane but as no faults are showing on diagnostics no one seems able to help me. I have a Megane dynamique 1.4 53 plate.
I have phoned Renault UK today and i told them about the Quality Action re injection computer reprogramming that Gordon has advised of. The lady I spoke knew nothing about it and said that if it had affected my car I would have received a recall letter but I have never received one. I wondered if Gordon was sent one or anyone else who had this problem.
They then said that unless a dealer can locate my problem via a diagnostic then nothing can really be done.
I am at my wits end as so far on the sevice last month my water pump had to be replaced along with my cam belt tensioner and I was also told that the idle problem was due to a defective throttle body which was also replaced. (this work was not done at a renault dealership, except the throttle body reprogrmming). The problem is still on going and I have paid for yet another dianostice test at a Taylor in Dunmow and the fault happpened when the mechanic started the car but still did not log as a fault on the computer!! Any advise would be gratefully received

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:21 pm

Welcome to the forum Rachel.

Gordons Megane is a 1.6, the 1.4's are not affected by this recall.
Usually rough running at idle would be a failed/failing coil pack, but seing as you have just had some other work done to the car that might also be the problem.

Who did this work on the car?
Does the car run well under all other conditions?
What's performance like and MPG?

If the throttle body has not been reprogrammed correctly then that could be the problem.
My other thought would be that your timing is out particularly if your cam belt has been off.

As to why a Renault dealership can't diagnose the problem with you car is beyond me :roll:
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Rachel

cutting out rough idle

Postby Rachel » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:42 pm

Thanks for your help.

The work was done at a local garage called Steve Motts in Braintree. They had diagnostics but sent the car to Taylor in Dunmow for the throttle reprogramming as they are a Renault dealer. Taylor also did the diagnostic yesterday and as the fault happened to them but did not log on the computer they have reset it to see if this will help??!!

The car performs well otherwise and seems ok. The problem seems the same now as it was prior to the work being done so i'm not sure if i've paid for the throttle body for no reason.

I also wondered if it could be the TDC snsor? Do you think this is possible? Do you know of any faults that don't show on diagnostic checks as someone said the TDC will never log as a fault as its at the start of the process.

Return to “Problems / Questions”