Engine will not start when Clutch depressed????

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

shakespeare

Engine will not start when Clutch depressed????

Postby shakespeare » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi folks
really hoping someone could shed some light on to why all of a sudden the car will only start on a brake depress + start button and not my usual clutch depress + start button?.

I shall also mention that the toxic fumes light came on for all of 10 seconds 7 days ago and hasn't come on since - could this be connected to my start problem?

Thanks.

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:50 pm

Get on your hands and knees and have a good look in the footwell. You should see a couple of cables going to the brake and clutch. Its easy to break these in every day driving.

Deano16v
Advanced Driver

Postby Deano16v » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:58 pm

what he said^^^^^

the wire is pretty taught and is easily broken away from its contact.
DCi 120 for sale, 52,000 miles, £3250 ono

shakespeare

Postby shakespeare » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:52 pm

thanks guys, would it be easy for me to repair myself?

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:27 am

Yes, it is simple.

The problem is caused by the cable being too short. The wires bend and snap at the connector as the pedal moves.

Solution. Dive in the foot well, remove the sensor (end switch), cut off the remaining wire, go home, attach two 30cm wires to the sensor by soldering, go back to the car, install and connect everything by twisting wires. Isulate and lay out the extension, the latter operation is the longest. Make sure your foot does not catch it.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

thefamoushoops

Postby thefamoushoops » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:01 am

AlexB wrote:Yes, it is simple.

The problem is caused by the cable being too short. The wires bend and snap at the connector as the pedal moves.

Solution. Dive in the foot well, remove the sensor (end switch), cut off the remaining wire, go home, attach two 30cm wires to the sensor by soldering, go back to the car, install and connect everything by twisting wires. Isulate and lay out the extension, the latter operation is the longest. Make sure your foot does not catch it.

Or be like me and just use your brake to start!

I've not been able to start using the clutch since I bought the car so the previous owner must have broken it.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:16 pm

It is also used for something else in the engine management system. I don't think that neglecting a car is a good idea...

Furthermore, one should always start the engine with clutch depressed in order to reduce the load on the starter and battery.

thefamoushoops wrote:...
Or be like me and just use your brake to start!

I've not been able to start using the clutch since I bought the car so the previous owner must have broken it.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

shakespeare

Postby shakespeare » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks again, you guys were right on the ball.
When I saw the broken wires I remembered that my leg brushes the wiring under there an awful lot.

I'm so relieved its not a major fault.
Cheers.

shakespeare

Postby shakespeare » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks again, you guys were right on the ball.
When I saw the broken wires I remembered that my leg brushes the wiring under there an awful lot.

I'm so relieved its not a major fault.
Cheers.

thefamoushoops

Postby thefamoushoops » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:59 pm

[quote="AlexB"]It is also used for something else in the engine management system. I don't think that neglecting a car is a good idea...

Furthermore, one should always start the engine with clutch depressed in order to reduce the load on the starter and battery.
quote]

Fair point, but why does the dash say to depress the clutch OR the brake?

Surely if this would do it harm they wouldn't give you the option?

72uoba
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Laguna 2007 GT 175

Postby 72uoba » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:05 pm

It doesn't cause harm as such - it just causes less strain on the starting system if the clutch is depressed because the gearbox doesn't have to be turned over as well.

My clutch start has just failed for the second time today. 15,000 miles since repaired by Renault. Would have thought that when repairing they could have ensured that the same would not happen again. Oh well, will lengthen wires myself as Alex has suggested. :?

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:22 am

Well hello, the wire thing is known to renault, happened on OHs car and renault sorted it for us calling it a mod....

as for having to depress clutch or brake its a safety feature, to prevent any damage should you try and start in gear ie you will end up propelling forward or backward. quite how much help the brake will have im sure you will still lurch forward or back then the motor may well cut out (stall), the laguna i used to own would let you start without depressing clutch or brake unless you were in gear in which case it would display press clutch seems the sensor in gooner gearbox is not on the megs.

I also agree with depressing clutch on start up less for the starter motor to turn always did so in my old conventional use a key to start me cars...
:-P
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:20 pm

Brake+Start is a bad safety feature, as it will damage the starting system if the car was left in gear. I would say it is a sort of safety by punishment -- try it once and you'll never forget the lesson...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

IzzieBee

Postby IzzieBee » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:05 am

Hi everyone!

I've just been reading through this thread and could do with some advice!

I bought a new Megane Dynamique 3 weeks' ago and have to say I love it to pieces. When it was delivered I was told only to start it with the brake depressed and the start button and never to try and start it with the clutch depressed. It won't start at all if it's in gear and gives me a warning to put it into neutral.

I haven't tried to start it with the clutch down but after reading your comments here I'm wondering if I'm doing something horrible to my starting system.

Thanks.

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:37 am

You won't do any harm starting with the clutch down instead of the brake. Instead you will probably be putting less load on the battery as the clutch is disengaged. I always use the clutch, second nature to me after driving diesels for a long time. I guess the brake is advised as it just adds an extra degree of safety as far as preventing the car from going anywhere.
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

Return to “Problems / Questions”