Megane dci 106 turbo lag

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

megane_jet

Megane dci 106 turbo lag

Postby megane_jet » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:34 pm

I have a megane 106 dci 07 with 7000miles on it. I purchased it as a demonstrator two months ago, when it had 5000miles. I have found that when I accelerate hard from around 2000rpm, or just under, in second gear there is a distinct delay and then a surge. Is this normal for this engine. I have owned a clio dci 68bhp, a PSA 1.6 hdi 110bhp and these have not had this characteristic. I was told by the dealer it was normal for these engines, but I have not had chance to try another since.

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Postby Woody Woo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:49 pm

The turbo on these doesn't really start singing until approx 1800rpm. So if you're caught in too high a gear with low revs on the clock, they can feel a bit limp. There certainly isn't the torque of the larger 1.9 engine but it has a wider usable rev range. It is on balance a very nice engine.

Renault Build A Better Car :-)

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:25 pm

My dCi100 was a bit like this where as the wifes Clio dCi80 was virtually lag free.

Her new Clio dCi86 is also lag free as is my new Laguna 2.0dCi150.

If you are not happy go back to your dealer and get then to investigate. If possible see if you can drive an identical model to compare to yours.

Gummed up EGR valves can cause flat spots, and Renault's do tend to suffer in that department. Try running on some decent fuel with a shot of fuel treatment in it (Millers Diesel Power Sport4 is very good) and go and give it a bit of welly somewhere safe.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

megane_jet

Postby megane_jet » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:49 pm

Yes will try and get hold of some Millers tomorrow and try it. Suppose my megane may only have done low mileage, but probably had cheap diesel put in it by loads of people. Is it good at cleaning engine as well?

30something
Learner Driver

Postby 30something » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:45 pm

If I floor mine at 2000rpm in 2nd it pulls strongly with no lag so I would say your car has some sort of issue.

garrydane

Postby garrydane » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:50 pm

megane_jet,

do you always get this 'lag', or does it come and go? I get a similar lag in my 1.9 but it only happens occassionly, and i find that its usually after i have been 'giving it a bit of welly...somewhere safe!!', and then driving normally again.

have had it in the garage, but they can't find any problems. only thing they could come up with was if i could get it down to them some time it was actually doing it and let a mechanic drive it.

it is very noticeable and could leave you embarrased at the traffic lights!!

if you find out whats causing it can you let me know? cheers
RENAULT MEGANE - Mégane Sports Hatch Dynamique 1.9dCi 130 Euro IV

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:09 am

My old Laguna 1.9dCi 120 used to exhibt a similar fault, after a lot of investigation the EGR valve was changed and the MAF sensor.

If possible check that all pipes and hoses are connected and fully secured. There are so many dam sensors on cars these days that any one giving a slightly erratic signal to the ECU could cause these symptoms.

Firstly I would get the EGR valve checked as this is one of the main causes of flat spots.
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

megane_jet

Postby megane_jet » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:47 pm

When I accelerate slowly it is not obvious and seems to go smoothly through the revs. It is in the situation with just around 2000rpm and then floor the accelerator, there is a distinct feeling of a drop in power before a surge of power. It doesn't seem as obvious when cold.

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:19 pm

Is this only noticeable in 2nd gear or will it do it in other gears?
Does the car feal like it pulls back?

Boost pressure sensor could also be something to look at? :?

We could go on like this forever. You really need to go back to your dealer and get then to do a thorough investigation. If they won't or still don't find anything try another Renault dealer.

swones

Postby swones » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:48 pm

I can only comment on my own experience but do try the injector cleaner treatment and a tank of decent fuel. Take it for a good blast up through all the gears to the rev limiter too, obviously don't go breaking any speed limits ;-)

My 04 Meg DCI100 hates supermarket diesel and sometimes has a very similar sticky feeling to the turbo if i use it. As long as I stick to brand diesel it's fine and returns a good 56-60mpg without being too gentle either.

Simon.

megane_jet

Postby megane_jet » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:14 pm

Thanks for that, I did try some of the millers diesel sport4. It is difficult to tell how it affected mpg, because it's been so cold. It does seemed to have smoothed out the surges. I have done about 260 miles with it in so far. Is it the best stuff to clean out injectors etc or should I try a shot of something else. I always put esso diesel in the car, but as I said earlier having been a demonstrator probably has had alsorts of stuff in it! Apart from this issue I think it is a very nice car.

Meganeladd
Currently Drives:: Mark 2 Renault Megane dynamique 106ps.

Re: Megane dci 106 turbo lag

Postby Meganeladd » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:32 pm

I have the same car and the same problem. Sometimes it pulls through every gear from 1000rpm and then some times when you want to accelerate nothing happens just 3-5 second flatspots, it so annoying, like something is letting all the boost from the turbo out the waste gate?. I attached tuning box and this only helps when there isn't any flat spots. Going to clean the EGR valve and see does this make a difference. I will mention this happen in my clio (65bhp) and got the injectors and fuel pump reconditions and the thing flies and it pulls strong up to 3000rpm cost me £800 although haven't got that sort of cash now. Think the car is gummed up.

Dan311
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2 1.9 DCI privilege Estate

Re:

Postby Dan311 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:26 am

IainMW wrote:My old Laguna 1.9dCi 120 used to exhibt a similar fault, after a lot of investigation the EGR valve was changed and the MAF sensor.

If possible check that all pipes and hoses are connected and fully secured. There are so many dam sensors on cars these days that any one giving a slightly erratic signal to the ECU could cause these symptoms.

Firstly I would get the EGR valve checked as this is one of the main causes of flat spots.

As IainMW said.... "Get the EGR valve checked"

Meganeladd
Currently Drives:: Mark 2 Renault Megane dynamique 106ps.

Postby Meganeladd » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:02 am

Hi can anyone enlighten me. My megane which I call Megan is showing check injection light which turned out to be boost pressure fault code p0063 showing on computer. After lengthy visit to garage back and forth it has had diagnostics on turbo and egr valve which both seem to be working, earlier before this the same thing happened with intake air circuit fault code showing.
Now the car is out of warranty not that they were going to cover much, as they seem to wiggle there way out of most cliams! :banghead To describe the car's performance; it won't pull, over 2000rpm but will under this. There is a distinctive drop in power over 2000rpm ( like dropping off boost) only getting marginally better at around 3000-4000rpm. fuel consumption is down from 52mpg to about 40mpg? Does anyone have the same problem or have any clue what is wrong? The mechanic doesn't want to know any more. I'm bringing it down to sensors or turbo but don't want to start willy nillying about putting expensive parts on the car not knowing of there will work.
Love the car is is a great driver but frustrating not having full power range. Just to add there is no oil round turbo but there is some around some I think you call it the intercooler value on top of the right engine? Currently has 94,000 mile on clock. 1.5 dci.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:26 am

The engine is loosing power because it goes into a limited mode, it's the ECU thing. The code p0063 is not written in Renault format and is not what you say it is in the OBD format.

Please find what fault code it actually is and then look it up in the factory repair manual in the sticky thread above this one.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”