ELECTRONIC FAULT PROBLEM

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mintyman5
Passed Theory

ELECTRONIC FAULT PROBLEM

Postby mintyman5 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:05 pm

This morning went to take my son to play footie , car started normally and ran fine for five minutes or so , then the esp/asr light came on , then the airbag light , then it came up electronic fault on the dash readout , car still drove ok but when i came to turn it off the push button stop/start wouldnt work , couldnt turn wipers off or the lights , basically everything that could light up on the dash did , now overnight its been torrential rain up my way and during the morning it was tipping it down ,could water have got into something ? , now evertime i go to start the car the wipers and lights come on , wether they are needed or not and the car wont turn off using the push button , any advice would be appreciated, the cars a 1.9 dci (2003) :(

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:42 pm

minty, dont want to worry you but have read something like this before, the fuse box under the bonnet had a problem with water ingress allowing water into the loom, im only guessing but with the rain you described it could be a possibility, also sure read somewhere that the boxes have been modified but dont know what year, could be worth checking. with luck someone with more knowledge will get back to you on this...good luck
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Andie102

Postby Andie102 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:41 pm

I have had exactly the same problem - my car is with the dealer at the moment and they have said that it will cost £2500 to repair !!!!

HELP HELP HELP

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:58 pm

£2500? What are they doing? Replacing the whole thing? Geez Renault prices make me mad.

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Andie102 wrote:I have had exactly the same problem - my car is with the dealer at the moment and they have said that it will cost £2500 to repair !!!!

HELP HELP HELP

mintyman and andie, i would call renault uk and give off like f**k. if they fixed my window regulator and charged me £50 and renault payed the other £250 and my car is a year outta warrenty. then surely they would ahve to sort this for you? why should you pay 'cause there design is crap?

renault customer service really bugs me!

kyle :cool:

Andie102

Postby Andie102 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:15 pm

a few weeks ago we had some terrible storms here in wales
During one such storm I was driving when I had a fault message come up sayng electrical fault - was on my way to a very important meeting so decided to keep going and go straight to the garage afterwards and get it checked out

Surprise surprise the car would not start or acknowledge the key and was recovered to a local Renault dealer

It also was stating faults with steering column lock unlock

The dealer said there was a fault with the steering column lock and this would cost 365.68

ouch! - looked in to this and spoke to Renault UK and because of the age and mileage of my car (DCI privilege 03 78000 miles) - there was nothing they would do to help - ouch but could cover this so oh well off we go

The dealer then called to say that the electrical fault ws now being investigated and I told them to go ahead hour by hour so that I could get a status report each hour and give them the go ahead each time - didn't just wanna give a free hand to them to say they had done loads of hours and rip me off

Got a call the day before yesterday to say that it was the CPU and it would now cost me a total of £600

Got a call yesterday to say that the CPU and everything else would cost me £700 not £600

The dealer has just called me to say that actually it's the wiring loom that has rotted and I will have a total Bill for £2500!!!

Apparently there is some debris that "could have been there for a long time" which has caused the wiring loom to rot. - when I asked about this the mechanic told me that

QUOTE "cars these days are complicated things and if I had a home pc that was 2 years old I would expect it to be ready for the bin so having an on board computer that gives out after nearly 5 is not really that bad as things are not built to last these days"

ASTOUNDING!!!

this cannot be right - are cars not supposed to be weather proof any more!!!

If this is a design fault - which it obviuosly is otherwise others would not have the same problem - why do I have to pay for it ????

aaaaaaaaaah!! - help please someone

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:49 pm

Hes speaking b*****s. Lets remember homes PCs still running 10-15 years after they were originally built and the PCB/Processor/Chipset is one of the last things to go wrong. How many ZX Spectrums are still running now days? How many TVs last more than 5 years? A fair few. It is a Renault design fault. One of many.

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:50 pm

mintyman5,check out my posts on this thread

https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=6418

Andie102

still having problems

Postby Andie102 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:28 pm

please please can you give me some ideas - have screamed at Renault uk and they say that because my vehicle has done too many miles - still has yet to hit 80000 - and is too old - still not 5 years - they will not cover this under the warranty as the dealer have said they don't think its a manufacturing defect - I don't have £2500 - what do i do ???

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Re: still having problems

Postby kylehimself » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Andie102 wrote:please please can you give me some ideas - have screamed at Renault uk and they say that because my vehicle has done too many miles - still has yet to hit 80000 - and is too old - still not 5 years - they will not cover this under the warranty as the dealer have said they don't think its a manufacturing defect - I don't have £2500 - what do i do ???

sorry mate, i cant begin to think what you should do. Renault are full of sh!t.. how is this not a defect in there design?? how can they stand and try and pin this on you, because you have driven your car for so many thousand miles? i thot that was the idea of a car. you could maybe... maybe, talk to citizens advice. i have no idea if thay can even help, but it's a better than nothin'.

i mean this hasn't come along because you mistreat the car. it's not because you have done so many miles, because if that was the cause all the cars would do it. fact is... it's a design flaw.

should us angry renault owners not bitch to somethin' like watch dog?? i remember they where on before because they clios had dodgy bonnect catches that unlatched whilst drivin'.

w@nkers...

kyle :evil:

Andie102

watchdog

Postby Andie102 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:01 am

i have already rung watchdog several times and left a message for them to contact me but so far no one has - does anyone know how long it takes for them to get back to you - also am awaiting a call to the Chairman of the Automotive Distributors Federation - he's the guy who challenged Nissan over the non manufactures part issue and got them to climb down.

Am hoping he will be able to give me some pointers

This type of behaviour by a manufacturer would not be allowed in any other industry - why is it ok for cars?

mintyman5
Passed Theory

Postby mintyman5 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:36 pm

sorry i would have replied sooner , few probs at home , my problem turned out to be dead cells in the battery , apparently this caused the ecu to be spiked causing all my problems , new battery and ecu reset seem to have sorted it out (touch wood ) its been ok since i posted the original problem

mintyman5
Passed Theory

Postby mintyman5 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:37 pm

sorry i would have replied sooner , few probs at home , my problem turned out to be dead cells in the battery , apparently this caused the ecu to be spiked causing all my problems , new battery and ecu reset seem to have sorted it out (touch wood ) its been ok since i posted the original problem

mintyman5
Passed Theory

Postby mintyman5 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:37 pm

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Postby cyclonebri1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:19 am

mintyman5 wrote:sorry i would have replied sooner , few probs at home , my problem turned out to be dead cells in the battery , apparently this caused the ecu to be spiked causing all my problems , new battery and ecu reset seem to have sorted it out (touch wood ) its been ok since i posted the original problem

Yes and I think I would have posted 3 times as well if that had happened to me. Bet yer glad you hung onto the 2.5k you didn't have. :cool:

But it is so typical faced with a job that requires a bit of digging to find a problem they cop out and suggest buying your way out, partly I suggest because they would neithr have anyone capable of changing the loom and would not want to be faced with the problem if it didn't work after.

Sounds like you have a result.

I was going to post before I read the last one and suggest talking to the garage to see how they had come to the conclusion that the loom had "rotted", come on?. Then if they had found an actual area where there was a problem, get it to an auto electrical engineer to sort out that part of the loom. but academic now.
Hope things hold out for you.

Yours, totally disgusted, Bri. :-(
Last edited by cyclonebri1 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Problems / Questions”