servicing when to stop?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

servicing when to stop?

Postby nickbell69 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:56 pm

At what stage in a cars life should servicing be stopped? How much extra do you get for a car with FSH? I understand getting cambelt changed etc. But is it worth paying for an average service which includes oil change, filter change, fluid checks etc all of which a lot of people could do easily themselves? Mine has just done 60k i drive around 24k a year and i am wondering whether to stop services and do it myself.

Deano16v
Advanced Driver

Postby Deano16v » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:59 pm

as long as you can keep evidence of doing the servicing yourself i see no harm in it. i often prefer to buy cars from owners club members over general members of the public because it usually means they have been better looked after, including self servicing.
it depends who's buying the car-someone who doesnt really know that much will want the dealer history as they can wrongly believe that would mean it has been better looked after.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver

Postby nickbell69 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:12 pm

I have never bought a car private, always go to dealer so always part ex. Prefer the little bit of "protection" you get with a business.

steve123456
Learner Driver

Postby steve123456 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:47 pm

Could always try buying private and taking out a third party warranty yourself. These are the same ones that a lots of dealers offer anyway if its a used car . The money you save from ( not paying dealer prices for the car , and poorer trade in price ) would pay for the third party sereral times over.

But to answer you original question, -- i use main dealer service until out of warranty then use local trustworthy garage from then on.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:23 pm

Personally I would stick to having your car serviced by a competant person Whether that be a Renault dealership or an independent garage that you know are good and you can trust.

It's not about a FSH and a stamped book (which can help when it comes to selling your car; I don't think you can put a price on safety though, which regular servicing should ensure?
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

nickbell69
Advanced Driver

Postby nickbell69 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:38 pm

Any safety issues would be picked up during the MOT anyway.

Return to “Problems / Questions”