Change headlight bulb!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

andy-g

Postby andy-g » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:51 pm

the hands of a young lad. my son did mine

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Postby Woody Woo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:42 pm

I used to curse Renault for this wretched design. But then I found out a lot of cars are in fact harder than this :(

I think the law should be changed and manufacturers are forced to make the changing of these bulbs easier. A bulb should be:

1. Replaceable in less than 10 mins.

2. Should not require any special tools.

3. Should be possible from under the bonnet with no crawling around under the car.

Renault Build A Better Car :-)

L77
Pass Plus

Postby L77 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:20 pm

Anyone tried to change a bulb on a 225 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Step 1 Lift the bonnet
Step 2 Close the bonnet
Step 3 Go for a pint of the strongest lager :cool:

Absolute bitch of a job especially the passanger side :roll:

L77

GoldenWonder
Passed Theory

Postby GoldenWonder » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:42 pm

I havn't tried my Megane yet, but it looks like a pig!

Having said that, the nearside on my Mk1.5 Focus was a swine as well and caused a lot of skinned wrists/knuckles.

I wish manufacturers would think this through - at least my Fiesta, because of the restricted access, allowed you to take the headlight out as a complete unit with only a screwdriver.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:38 pm

but why make it a simple job that can be done at home. Think of the money lost through people not going to a renault dealer. And it scares me but how many people go in to have a new headlight bulb and get told they just happen to notice you need something else looking at which will cost a fortune? :wink:

Gordon
Learner Driver

Changing headlight bulb

Postby Gordon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:08 am

Hi - it's me, Gordon, who started this thread. Yes, I was so cheesed off at the cost of £67.00 that after asking the dealer (Arnol Clark) twice to confirm they must remove front bumper I then contacted Renault UK and was phoned back by Customer Services there who confirmed that the charge was correct and that the bumper had to be removed to do the job.

Ho about that then!

Gordon

L77
Pass Plus

Postby L77 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:33 am

Arnold Clark= :evil: :evil: :evil:

________

____

L77

nickbell69
Advanced Driver

Postby nickbell69 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:58 pm

I'd be pointing Renault uk and Arnold Clark in the direction of this site. If so many of us diy mechanics can change them without removing the bumper(all be it in an hour!!) how come they have to? It also tells you how to change them in the handbook somewhere, as thats how i've discovered how to do it and i can assure you if it told me to remove the bumper i'd have had it in a garage. I'd take it further Gordon.

Deano16v
Advanced Driver

Postby Deano16v » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:14 pm

i think i'd be logging a call with citizens advice.
DCi 120 for sale, 52,000 miles, £3250 ono

72uoba
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Laguna 2007 GT 175

Postby 72uoba » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:22 pm

I refer you back to my previous post in this thread.

The handbook quite clearly illustrates a way to replace the bulb which does not involve removing the front bumper! Both the dealer and Renault UK do not have a leg to stand on suggesting otherwise.

Gordon
Learner Driver

Changing headlamp bulb

Postby Gordon » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:53 am

I will keep you informed of further talks with Renault re. this and their reply.

Gordon

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:37 pm

AHHHH!!!

I'm gonna have to change my bulbs later today. One of them blew last night and I don't fancy driving the A1/A14 in the dark with 1 bulb working.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver

Postby nickbell69 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:21 pm

Good luck Ray!! Hope you have a nice warm garage to do it in or after about 30minutes your fingers will have no feeling and as we all know its a hard enough job in the "summer"!!! Let us know how you get on. We should start a table of peoples times for headlight bulb changing on a Megane. Olympic sport for 2012 i'm thinking.

davess1402

changing headlamp bulb

Postby davess1402 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:45 pm

Done both sides now on sisters megane passenger side took me nearly an hour after pulling things to bits wished I had found this site before that :oops: ,did it in about 10 minutes today (drivers side), easiest way is unclip windscreen wash bottle filler & push to the side, remove rubber boot from rear of lamp, twist lamp & pull out, fair bit of force needed to remove lamp from terminal housing, make sure notches on lamp fitment line up & twist back in, check operation of lamp before putting in headlamp unit :cool: ensure located properly a tad fidgety, replace rubber boot - easiest way is locate it on bottom of rim & push on from there!
All in all not too hard to do but can see problems if not done b4!

Don't need to access via wheel arch or removal of bumper. Owners manual does say to contact Renault dealer (welll they would).

Cheers
Dave

:wink:
Last edited by davess1402 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:57 pm

Luckily I have slim hands but i still ended up with slice marks on my arm from the access port due to lack of room.

I say it took about 45 mins in total for both sides.

Turn wheels to far right (for both sides of car), remove access ports, reach in avoiding various metal beams in your way... turn plastic cover off and try not to drop it!
Remove power connector. Mine was firmly attached and needed force.
The hard part is now trying to figure out how to remove the hinged metal thing that holds the bulb in place. Took me 10 mins trying from the wheel arch but in the end i had better access from the bonnet if you can squeeze your hand between the battery and plastic covers on passenger side, drivers side isn't too bad.
Replace bulb (keyed part is on top), metal clip and power connector.
Next annoying part is putting on the plastic cover that protects the back of the lights... mine just kept on spinning as it wouldn't lock in place. Replace wheel arch port cover.

I'd say drivers side is easier but that might be because i did the passenger side first and had a better idea of what i was doing. drivers side took bout 10 mins.

Return to “Problems / Questions”