KeyCard & Headlight Problems

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Aremm1

KeyCard & Headlight Problems

Postby Aremm1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:35 pm

Good Evening all.

Any help on the following would be greatly appreciated.
I've been through every page on the forum and can't see anything that closely (enough) resembles my issues!

I have a few probs with my Megane, have had since day 1 really but most stuff is tolerable.
However at the moment I am particularly bothered by:

a) the performance of both of my keycards has deteriorated recently when locking/unlocking (startup is fine - so far!)
Actually correction, the keycards AND door handle buttons have stopped working recently. What started as an intermittant problem has become the norm and now I have to resort to locking/unlocking with the centre console button and manual key.

b) the headlights (both) are now only working as dipped or full beam, no inbetween even though my green headlight sign is on.

Has anyone any suggestions for either?
Could the two be linked?

For info, I have not tried changing batteries on the keycards as I can't see how this would be the problem as both cards stopped working at the same time, one of which was a hardly used spare.
Also, I have not yet checked the fuse for the headlights as they are 'sort of' working rather than gone completely.

Any help would be welcome.

I have a Megane Expression 1.5 dci, with comfort pack, reg'd Sept 2004.

Ta.

(edit: based in Manchester, bought in July 05 from Renault Manchester - who weren't very helpful when I went to them with the keycard problem. They basically told me before anything else they would re-code the card irrespective of what the cause might be, charging me £85 in the process)

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:50 pm

for the price of a battery in each card,surely you`re first option is to change them,just cos one has hardly been used does`nt mean it can`t go flat,as you don`t know how old they are. got to be worth a try !
as regards the door handle issue,look through my old posts,as i had the same probs,and did`nt want to pay around the £200 mark just cos the micro switch in the handle had jacked in. in some cases they are repairable if you`re not averse to a bit of diy.
hope this helps.

Aremm1

Postby Aremm1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:01 pm

onlydiesels wrote:for the price of a battery in each card,surely you`re first option is to change them,just cos one has hardly been used does`nt mean it can`t go flat,as you don`t know how old they are. got to be worth a try !
as regards the door handle issue,look through my old posts,as i had the same probs,and did`nt want to pay around the £200 mark just cos the micro switch in the handle had jacked in. in some cases they are repairable if you`re not averse to a bit of diy.
hope this helps.

I will do thanks.

As for not changing the batteries it was they way they both stopped working at the same time really, plus the fact I've not had any message to tell me they are running low?

Do normal shops sell the batteries, i.e Halfords, Motorworld etc?

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:56 pm

re: headlights.. i assume you mean your sidelights aren't working?

I'm going under assumption:
sidelights - the tiny dim lights
dipped - standard night time driving lights
main beam - when you pull the stalk forward for very dark driving.

I would think sidelights are on a different fuse to the main bulbs.

It's also possible both sidelight bulbs have died... in which case.. good luck changing them!

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:06 am

Ray wrote:It's also possible both sidelight bulbs have died... in which case.. good luck changing them!

MonkeyHandsTM required :D
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:30 am

I would change the batteries first thing as if you read posts on here i don't think anyone yet has seen the fabled "battery low" warning on the dash""
Be aware also that mobile phones seem to affect the handsfree locking and unlocking if too close to the key card.
As for the changing of headlight bulbs well good luck with that!! Double jointed elbows and shoulders can help with this job, it's a job that will take an hour of messing and fiddling and then the bulb will just clip in for no reason in a second. Let us know how it goes!!!

Hany Saad
Learner Driver

Postby Hany Saad » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:49 am

Hello there,

I read before that for the keyless entry as your car there are door sensors that usually malfunction or in other words work intermitently after a while,I do not think the problem with the batteries as your cards are working perfectly when you press the buttons on them.
Megane II 2006 sedan,Grey eclipse (B66),1600cc,16V, VVT,steptronic

Hany Saad
Learner Driver

Postby Hany Saad » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:50 am

Hello there,

I read before that for the keyless entry as your car there are door sensors that usually malfunction after a while,I do not think the problem with the batteries as your cards are working perfectly when you press the buttons on them.
Megane II 2006 sedan,Grey eclipse (B66),1600cc,16V, VVT,steptronic

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:05 am

Hany Saad wrote:I do not think the problem with the batteries as your cards are working perfectly when you press the buttons on them.

But they aren't
225 5dr FF + Xenons

http://www.meganesport.net

Aremm1

Postby Aremm1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:10 pm

Ray wrote:re: headlights.. i assume you mean your sidelights aren't working?

I'm going under assumption:
sidelights - the tiny dim lights
dipped - standard night time driving lights
main beam - when you pull the stalk forward for very dark driving.

I would think sidelights are on a different fuse to the main bulbs.

It's also possible both sidelight bulbs have died... in which case.. good luck changing them!

I think I am probably decsribing my lights incorrectly.
Sorry everyone!

It's the normal "dipped" night time driving lights that are not working (both have just gone at the same time for no apparent reason, but your suggestion of them being on a seperate fuse to the sidelights is helpful)

Am I correct in saying that sidelights are just the dull ones?

I have looked in the fusebox tonight (glovebox) and that alone was a pain, but I can't see the headlight fuse - is this by any chance in the fusebox in the engine area?

If it's not the fuse I think I am going to have to take a trip to Renault Service - damn.

Aremm1

Postby Aremm1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:15 pm

nickbell69 wrote:I would change the batteries first thing as if you read posts on here i don't think anyone yet has seen the fabled "battery low" warning on the dash""
Be aware also that mobile phones seem to affect the handsfree locking and unlocking if too close to the key card.
As for the changing of headlight bulbs well good luck with that!! Double jointed elbows and shoulders can help with this job, it's a job that will take an hour of messing and fiddling and then the bulb will just clip in for no reason in a second. Let us know how it goes!!!

I'm not even gonna attempt a bulb change.
I had one changed at my MOT just a couple of moths ago, so with them both going off I'm convinced it must be the fuse or a wiring problem.

I will try new batteries first on the keycard.
Do I really have to go to Renault for these? (it says so in the manual!)

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Old Bill
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: LY R26 Lux No 2875

Postby Old Bill » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:12 pm

you don't need to get the battery from renault. so long as the amp and voltage is correct on the replacement battery you use!

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:56 pm

if you remove the battery,you will see that it has a number on it (something like 2032 or 2016 etc)
just quote this no. at any good motor factors
btw,where in m/cr are you? i work at a garage in m/cr (it is a big place though lol :D )will help with battery if you struggling.

Aremm1

Postby Aremm1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:11 pm

onlydiesels wrote:if you remove the battery,you will see that it has a number on it (something like 2032 or 2016 etc)
just quote this no. at any good motor factors
btw,where in m/cr are you? i work at a garage in m/cr (it is a big place though lol :D )will help with battery if you struggling.

Thanks!

I work in the Salford Quays area, will probably nip up to Halfords at White City for the batteries, gotta be worth a try!

(Crosses fingers hoping never to have to deal again with Renalt Service)

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:20 pm

if you are in quays area,you would be better off going to PARTCO 848 0464 (i do know where it is,but don`t actually know the address!!)
or you could try ANDREW PAGE 848 7557. ditto on the address !!
you prob get two there for price of one at halfrauds.

Return to “Problems / Questions”