front sus ball joints

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

johnh

front sus ball joints

Postby johnh » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:03 pm

How do I change a worn ball joint?

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:18 pm

With a worn ball joint changer! :pirate: :lool:

Seriously: It's not to difficult and you should not need any specific tools(other than a ball joint splitter)
But you will need access to a ramp to do it properly, oh' and a set of laser alignment gauges to correctly align your steering geometry once you've changed it, but any decent garage/tyre centre should be able to do that small a small fee.

Have you tackled anything like this before?

Welcome to the club BTW :cool:
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:54 pm

See the second pointer in my message in the Links sections.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:40 pm

i think it`s really false economy to change a ball joint,bearing in mind that to make the job easier you would (well i would anyway)probably take the arm off the car anyway,then put a new joint on an arm of which the bushes have done the same mileage as the worn joint! much better to put a full arm on so you`re renewing the bushes as well. only my opinion||

johnh

ball joint

Postby johnh » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:31 pm

IanMw - have rebuilt cars from wrecks - used to be a mech, time served on Rover/Triumph/Land Rover/Jag/Daimler. Not really touched cars for best part of 30yrs and not many old mates left in the trade. None at Arnolds. Currently a factory fitter so not exactly rusty on the tools.

when you say no tools are required you must need a puller/pusher to press ball joint out & back into the lower sus arm?

A quick look sugests removing/replacing sus arm aint a straight forward job.

Just did`nt want to rush into things and be left with car stranded in drive.

Cheers

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:05 pm

John,

Removing the lower arm seems to be reasonably straightforward. The sequence and the torques are in the above link. Check you forum mail for a more precise pointer.

I don't know how to remove/install the ball joint on the arm, as it looks different from the other cars I dealt with. Ask Andy Stephen at Parkers forum, he might know. He changed bushes on his Laguna a couple of times.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

johnh

ball joints

Postby johnh » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:39 pm

Cheers

Unfortunately I don`t speak/read French, being Scottish some would/do say I can`t speak English!!

Ball joints can be bought from alternative/trade suppliers

Tool will probably be similar to void bush rem/rep tool

johnh

ball joints

Postby johnh » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:39 pm

Cheers

Unfortunately I don`t speak/read French, being Scottish some would/do say I can`t speak English!!

Ball joints can be bought from alternative/trade suppliers

Tool will probably be similar to void bush rem/rep tool

Deano16v
Advanced Driver

Postby Deano16v » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:27 pm

a bit of gentle persuasion should see the BJ back into the arm mate. you shouldn't need any specific tools for it.

just thank your luck stars it doesn't have the same set up as an alfa 156 where everything is upside down and back to front!!

Return to “Problems / Questions”