1.4 Dynamic Fuel Consumption & Reverse Light issue

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

sallyewood

1.4 Dynamic Fuel Consumption & Reverse Light issue

Postby sallyewood » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:02 pm

As a new member, i am keen to try to resolve a few issues i have. Firstly,....

My fuel consumption seems very high for a 1.4 16v. I have had a look at other posts, and it still seems inconclusive.

I mainly use it around town, with the weekly stretch down the motorway. I put £30 in and that can last about 185 miles. A full tank can last approx 300 miles. Sems to be since i had the car, about 1 year.

Car has MOT 2 months ago. Dealer says there is no problem.

the car is average milage, 24k on the clock on a 54 plate. Does this seem ok to you, or is there an issue? What could the issue be and what can i do to fix it?

ALSO........

Both my reverse lights are out. All other lights on both rear clusters are fine. Could it be a fuse issue? Or more serious? Was thinking it was just the bulbs, but sure not both gone at the same time.

Your info is appreciated

CanadianMike
Learner Driver

Postby CanadianMike » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:02 pm

i have the same size engine, i normally get around 32 MPG on average with a full tank, i get about 430-440 miles to a full tank which used to be around £50, because the car is a heavier car with a smaller engine, fuel consumption is higher, but if you drive to the point where ur in 5th gear and going along at 30 u can actually get it up to like 40 mpg, i once had it at 43mpg and i had jsut filled up and it was showing over 500 miles.

about hte lights i don know, but the fuel consumption is normal for that engine size with that style of driving and area
1.4 52 reg Dynamique

sallyewood

Postby sallyewood » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:02 pm

many thanks.

i have been discussing this at length with friends, just seems quite high. But as you say, its a heavy car.

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:49 pm

Have a read through here;

https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=5159

There are a few 1.4 fuel consumption figures before the thread was hi-jacked by other engine sizes and fuel types.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:05 pm

salley have you resolved your reverse lights?, i was looking around on the renaultforum and someone there had same sort of prob, there is a reverse gear sensor on the gearbox, apparently its on the top of the gearbox towards bottom look inside engine compartment down the bottom between engine right hand side (passengerside) and has a green connector, if you find it (sorry cant help my car is not with me) disconnect the lead and short the pins out on the lead, then put in reverse if lights come then its the sensor thats broke, should be able to get one from a decent motorfactor, it just screws out apparently. ( when testing if you meg is anything like mine french big bum) you will have to get the engine running to get power to the lights, so dont have your hands inside the engine compartment when you do that bit have fun
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:36 pm

i dont get many miles outta my 1.4, but then im doin' alot of city drivin' up and down gears all the time. so i guess its to be expected. and as others have said, its a weighty beast, sounds normal to me.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:40 pm

Re: the reversing light issue, afaik although there is 2 lights only 1 of them is wired up, can't for the life in me remember which side is wired up but someone will be able to tell you.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Deano16v
Advanced Driver

Postby Deano16v » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:08 pm

as above, check your switch. easy fix

72uoba
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Laguna 2007 GT 175

Postby 72uoba » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:40 pm

Both reverse lights should illuminate. However, with the foglights, there are bulbs on each side but only one is used depending on country.

markkuoi
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2002

Re: 1.4 Dynamic Fuel Consumption & Reverse Light issue

Postby markkuoi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:03 pm

Me too, I'm living in Finland and during this cold season I noticed that both reverse lights are out. Also I have had starting problems time to time, when I turn the key, nothing happens. Few attempts and it starts like nothing. Battery is ok.

sinkers
Currently Drives:: 04 Renault Megane 1.4 Dynamique

Re: 1.4 Dynamic Fuel Consumption & Reverse Light issue

Postby sinkers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:21 am

I thought it would never happen to me either but this is the first car I've owned that both headlights failed at exactly the same time!!! There is every chance that both of your reverse lights are gone too.

As for the fuel consumption I drive mainly in the city too and the fuel consumption is approx 33 mpg. Solution, buy a VW Jetta diesel!

Return to “Problems / Questions”