damp problems

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

rooby_roo

damp problems

Postby rooby_roo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:57 pm

hi, i have a 2003 megane, when ever it rains the carpets are getting a bit damp which in turn is causing condensation which is becoming a pain in the backside, its been to renault but they reakon they cant find anything, has any one had the same problem, im thinking maybe a drainage hole blocked or something, or even a seal ???? please help, thanks, ps there is no sunroof so it cant be that

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:03 pm

its been to renault but they reakon they cant find anything

Now why does that not surprise me :tut
If it can't be diagnosed with a computer then no fault exists! :evil:

This could be a blocked air con drain or the usual leaky door problems, both of which are well documented and known to Renault dealerships.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

rooby_roo

Postby rooby_roo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:11 pm

cheers m8, is this a relativly easy fix, a/c drain , but thinking about it if it only happens when it rains it must be the doors then, is this easy to cure ?

rooby_roo

Postby rooby_roo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:22 pm

rang renault today and told them about the water problem, i asked if it was a common problem on this year and they said no they have never had a car in with water leaking in, i can literaly hear water swishing from side to side when i go around corners, has anyone got any ideas where this is coming from as its obviously gonna be a waste of time taking in to renault for them to find nothing. :evil:

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:43 pm

Rooby roo have you checked the door pocket? They are renowned for filling with water as they leak around the speakers. Could be this although not sure if it'll affect the carpet though. It didn't on mine i just had to keep emptying the pocket!!!!

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:44 pm

Check the drain holes in the bottom of the doors are clear
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

rooby_roo

Postby rooby_roo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:57 pm

ok ill do that in the morning, but would that explain me hearing water swishing when i go round corners, its as if its going from one side of the windscreen to the other. many thanks for your replys though chaps :cool:

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:21 pm

Does it sound like its coming from the front then?
225 5dr FF + Xenons

http://www.meganesport.net

rooby_roo

Postby rooby_roo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:29 pm

yes, it sounds like there is a tunnel of water at the bottom of the windscreen and it goes from side to side as im driving,

MeganeChick
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Black Gold '06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, blanking plate, custom air intake feed, RSTuning remap (255bhp), ITG panel filter, Samco silicon air intake pipe, Forge Intercooler, renaultsport alloy wheel decals, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

Postby MeganeChick » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:04 pm

haha yes this is exactly what mine has done before - basically found that the passenger door compartment was a collection of water.

so i found that hard rain plus parking it on the curb with the passenger side facing the pavement - was causing it.

its only happened twice in the year and half i have owned it. i have since solved the problem by sealing up the gap between the speaker and its hole and its fine. Renault instructed me that its normal to have water behind the door card and that the standard fit speakers are designed to withstand this - its when you replace your speakers with non-standards speaker that you get the problems.
Last edited by MeganeChick on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
'06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, tuned, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

rooby_roo

Postby rooby_roo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:42 pm

the only difference with mine though is that the water is coming inside the car, its a nightmare having to demist the windows all the time.

MeganeChick
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Black Gold '06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, blanking plate, custom air intake feed, RSTuning remap (255bhp), ITG panel filter, Samco silicon air intake pipe, Forge Intercooler, renaultsport alloy wheel decals, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

Postby MeganeChick » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:58 pm

oh yeah sorry i forgot u said that! mmm not good is it? :(
'06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, tuned, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:33 am

yes, it sounds like there is a tunnel of water at the bottom of the windscreen and it goes from side to side as im driving

The drain holes will be blocked with rotted leaves and rubbish!

The plastic scuttle at the bottom of the windscreen will need to be removed and the drain holes cleaned out.
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

rooby_roo

Postby rooby_roo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:12 am

could be right there m8, i looked under the bonnet and as you said it looks like the drain holes are blocked as all i can see under the plastic panel is water, thing is im a bit reluctant to drain it now just incase half of it goes inside the car, catch 22 me thinks,
and to make things worse ive just noticed my heater blower is only blowing fast on number 4 setting, :cry:

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:27 am

I'd get it cleaned out ASAP. If water gets into the wiring loom and or UCH you will be in for a very big bill :-(

If the fan is only blowing on 4 the damage might already be done? (to the fan motor at least)

Return to “Problems / Questions”