Megane Hell

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

sunny_01

Megane Hell

Postby sunny_01 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:32 pm

I bought a 53 plate Renault Megane 1.9 DCI in May this year and have had to contend with a whole list of problems.

They ranged from brakes, lights, wipers, key card to the air con. When the car was returned to me after it's air con repair it was at times not starting, it made a really loud grinding at first it was thought it was the starter motor, so this was replaced, then within weeks it started again. Now we have the car in the garage AGAIN and it turns out it is the flywheel which is failed. This little beauty is going to cost me in excess of £800 great eh!!

Has anyone else had this kind of constant problems with their Megane?

I have to say though, problems aside I love that car, it a beautiful car that is fab to drive (when it works)

GoldenWonder
Passed Theory

Problems

Postby GoldenWonder » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:09 pm

Sorry to hear another victim of Megane woes! I've got a 2005 1.6 and the build quality isn't any better. I like the car, loves the looks and the car is great value for money.

Everyone expects a few problems with a mass produced car but Renault seem incapable, indifferent or unable to fix the problems. Thats what lets the ownership experience down.

Sad to say but its spoiled me for Renaults for life. I've taken several Vauxhalls to starship mileages and had less problems that I have in 10k miles in a Megane!

The only way forward is to ditch the car and move to a better manufacturer, thats what I'm doing as soon as the warranty runs out (not that the warranty is much use, mines been in the dealers 6 times in 2 months to fix the same steering fault)

trev
Passed Theory

Postby trev » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:41 pm

I am 2 months exactly into Megane ownership and am currently at 1 new problem per week of ownership!

europa
Just Passed

Postby europa » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:21 pm

I have a 2005 Dynamique 2.0L (from new) and have had the following issues:

* Dephaser pulley failure 3 months into ownership, replaced under warranty without issue (free loan car)
* A few plastic squeaks & rattles (mainly in summer), cured at 1st and 2nd service
* Idler pulley noisy, (spotted by dealer, I couldn't hear it) - identified during service, replaced (under warranty with free loan car) when part arrived from France
* Soft engine mounts, identified by dealer, replaced at service interval under warranty
* Drivers height adjuster lever snagged on clothing and bent lever arm. Replaced under warranty, replacement height adjuster has stronger design.
* Battery failure at 2 years (Tudor original), called Renault Assist, 40 mins later new battery installed and I was on the way (AU$140 poorer this time!)

Love the car, I have a good dealer too which helps I think :-)

I have no problems with the issues I have experienced, as far as I can tell it's pretty much par for the course with other similar manufacturers.
'05 2l Manual Pearl Black Megane LXR Dynamique 5-Door

CanadianMike
Learner Driver

Postby CanadianMike » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:33 pm

ive just had my tdc sensor replaced, and when it was in for its MOT(got it done while they did the sensor) they said that there is something wrong with the rackend on front passenger side which ive been quoted £100 for it to be fixed(non renault garage) but its not a major issue and it passed the test
1.4 52 reg Dynamique

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:33 pm

Unfortunately early Megane II's were more troublesome than the later ones, 52, 03 and 53 plates seem to be the ones most affected?

I think you need to complain to your dealer and Renault UK about this because it's not a very good situation to be in after only a few months of ownership. Did you buy the car on finance because they will be able to help you as well.

I have had a number of problems with mine and still have one at the moment which is under investigation and like you the flywheel is the likely suspect, luckily mine is still under warranty.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Bruno Grilo

Postby Bruno Grilo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:56 pm

So far, no problems in my 1.6 dated Oct. 2003.... :roll:

But I may as well shut up......just in case.... :roll:
Megane II 1.6 Luxe Dynamique

STEVIE
Advanced Driver

Postby STEVIE » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:09 pm

CanadianMike wrote:ive just had my tdc sensor replaced, and when it was in for its MOT(got it done while they did the sensor) they said that there is something wrong with the rackend on front passenger side which ive been quoted £100 for it to be fixed(non renault garage) but its not a major issue and it passed the test

What was the signs of the sensor fault please as ive got a 1.4

thank you

stevie
http://www.meganesport.net welcome all members of Megane II Owners Club

sunny_01

Postby sunny_01 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:51 pm

Thank you all so much for your replies, even though I would like to think you were all having problem free motoring it's nice to feel a little less alone with it!

I didnt buy my car from a Renault dealer but it is on finance.

The warranty would not pay for the flywheel repair which had torn the clutch up so I was left with a £1,200 bill and that was with a discount on labour as it is a friends Aston garage that did the repairs. I have managed to negotiate with the garage that I bought the car from so they are going to meet more than half of the cost, even though I think they should pay it all.

I have to say *fingers crossed* since the car has come back it feels better than it has since I bought it. It starts beautifully, it runs smoother and the gear changing is superb. So I am hoping that this puts and end to the major problems with the motor.

atticmaster
Currently Drives:: Renault Scenic II 1.6cc in Silver

Re: Megane Hell

Postby atticmaster » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:15 am

I have had the same problem with mine, 2 days after picking it up from Renault main dealer, I had a warning message on the dash and a very rough running engine, also when I pushed the start button all I got was a whizzing/grinding noise from the starter, It went in and they replaced the dephaser pulley, Over £800, then the Indicators would not self cancel, then it failed to start due to a flat battery caused by a bad earth, then the whizzing/grinding noise came back with a none start, this time it went back in and had a new starter motor, flywheel and clutch £1000+ just got it back. Thank god for warranties.

:banghead
sunny_01 wrote:I bought a 53 plate Renault Megane 1.9 DCI in May this year and have had to contend with a whole list of problems.

They ranged from brakes, lights, wipers, key card to the air con. When the car was returned to me after it's air con repair it was at times not starting, it made a really loud grinding at first it was thought it was the starter motor, so this was replaced, then within weeks it started again. Now we have the car in the garage AGAIN and it turns out it is the flywheel which is failed. This little beauty is going to cost me in excess of £800 great eh!!

Has anyone else had this kind of constant problems with their Megane?

I have to say though, problems aside I love that car, it a beautiful car that is fab to drive (when it works)

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:50 am

touching wood..........
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

stephen
Currently Drives:: reaunlt megane expresion

help

Postby stephen » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:11 pm

i have a renault megane expression 1.4 2004 ive just bought it its low on milage and is a great little runner my only problem is when i start it with the push button start it starts straight up but then dies i have to really rev it for at least 30 seconds to keep it from dieing out what can i do to fix this fault

????????????????

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Postby Toosh » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:57 pm

*Says nothing*
Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

Immobilizer
Passed Theory

Postby Immobilizer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:57 pm

I have spent about a grand so far in less than 12 months of ownership of my 1.6 vvt dynamique 03 plate.

I definitely wont EVER buy another Renault and as soon as i have paid this off in about 18 months or so i will get rid.

I sometimes wish somebody would just come and nick it because i have had many sleepless nights worrying how to pay to get the piece of crap fixed.

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Postby chevin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:06 pm

Immy - you read my mind, Unfortunately I have two of them - both to go next year.

Last service on 11/03 petrol ar 45 k miles dealer noted several jobs, which I added up to cost £ 1700 inc service - none of these jobs were carried out by dealer - infact I got independant to do discs (f & r) at 65 % renalt cost and exhaust ( £100) used £ 5 plactic padding - did n't need the timing belt as the depahser failed at 26 miles. Only have to get the infamous passenger window to be fixed before it goes.......can't wait !

Return to “Problems / Questions”