Door Handle Sticking

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Giles

Door Handle Sticking

Postby Giles » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:07 am

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Megane Dynamique.

The drivers exterior door pull is getting stiff and sticking in the "pulled" position.

I can push it back in, but it is then loose and a little wobbly.

The mechanical function of the handle still works OK.

The handle is the chrome version with the lock button included.

How do I fix this sticking handle? I've tried grease but it's made no difference. I guess I need to get at it from the inside.

Cheers Guys.

Giles.

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:38 pm

i had exactly the same problem! theres nothing wrong with your handle,but you need to remove it.start by removing the grommet which sits adjacent to the handle on the inside door shut (above the latch), look into the hole and you can see a clip which holds the end cap of the handle in place,use a hook (coat hanger or welding rod)to pull the top of the clip towards you to release this (it does`nt come out,just hinges down) clip which allows the end cap to be pulled out from the door,then slide the handle backwards and pull out (don`t forget that there is a wiring plug attached to it but you may not need to disconnect it,just let the handle off to one side) if you then look at the handle,you should see how it pulls on the release mechanism which is on the latch inside the door (look through hole in the door,you should see the release lever which i think is white with a metal roll pin through it) this will be seized. i just had to keep lubing/working mine till it eventually freed off.may sound a bit tedious,but quite easy really,anyway, must be better than buying a latch/fitting by renault and paying through the nose.
hope this helps.

Giles

Postby Giles » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:31 pm

Great! Thanks!

I will have a crack at that in the morning!

G.

jp1
Passed Theory

Postby jp1 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:05 pm

i had the same problem with mine, i just sprayed it with wd40, and it now works fine.

Giles

Postby Giles » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:49 pm

All working now!

Thanks for the help.

G.

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

Re: Door Handle Sticking

Postby ikhan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Sorry if this sounds thick, but do you have to remove the door card or (as it sounds from the description) the handle comes off by releasing it through the side?

I've got the same problem with one of my rear doors :-(
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:18 pm

There is no need to remove the door card. There is a rubber grommet on the door shutting face that comes out IIRC. Reach in there with a small hooked piece of wire (modified old school coat hanger) and tug. This releases the handle. It comes out one end first. Once it's released you will be able to lubricate it satisfactorily.

Tip: on rubber and plastic parts use silicon spray or paste. On metal, use WD40 or better still, copper anti-seize paste.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

Postby ikhan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks Dave - will give that a go. I [tried to] sprayed some 3-1 silicone grease through the handle and work it in last night but that didn't work so I'll take the handle off
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

MKN

Postby MKN » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi guys. Need a bit advice on same topic. My megan 04 got sticking front passenger door handle as well, also it´s bit stiff while pulling handle. I open it up as written above (thanks for that, would never figure it out !!). Tried spray with silicon and moving that white part where is pin but no luck, still stiff. Do i have to try move that small metal bar as mark in picture or just move in and out that white plastic part? or am i trying it totally wrong ?Metal long leaver moves easy and return on its own. Thanks a lot. Pavel

PS. image doesn´t load link is here https://ibb.co/ijOsjn

Return to “Problems / Questions”