Engine stalling/cutting out

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

gillyd88
Learner Driver

Engine stalling/cutting out

Postby gillyd88 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:24 pm

Sometimes when i start my car the engine starts and the revs struggle and then the engine stalls.

I then have to restart the car, sometimes twice more, and then the revs struggle but return to normal and then i can drive.

This seems to happen when its been raining and is damp or when it is cold.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and knows how to get it fixed or wether it dosent really matter and i should leave until it wont start?

I have a 2004 1.6 vvt 3 dr megane.

Many thanks.
Gilly- Megane 2008 3dr 2.0dci Renaultsport lux in Ultra Blue

Hunter_of_Hearts
Passed Theory

Postby Hunter_of_Hearts » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:41 am

did u check de battery?
ImageImageImage

soterman
Advanced Driver

Postby soterman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:48 am

It could be the dephaser pulley (the actual coq is not oiled the first time), or most probably the camshaft position sensor.

Is there any strange engine noise when you first fire up? If the car is on the move, does the engine die?
'05 1.6VVT Megane II[/color]

gillyd88
Learner Driver

Postby gillyd88 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:03 pm

No i havent checked the battery, this was in the back of my mind, but it seems to happen when its cold or damp.

There is no strange noise when i start my engine, just the engine struggling like when you are coming to a junction and havent put your clutch down.

Ive never had the engine cut out while im driving, touch wood.

soterman
Advanced Driver

Postby soterman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:49 pm

So, it's probably the camshaft position sensor....
'05 1.6VVT Megane II[/color]

gillyd88
Learner Driver

Postby gillyd88 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Thanks, i will have someone look at it and let you know.

Tougeee
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Sport 2005 2.0T

: Engine stalling/cutting out

Postby Tougeee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi, Good day guys. I'm new to this forum, all the way from South Africa. My name is Tougeed, I'm 25 years of age and I own a Renault Megane 2005 Sport. I'll post a few pictures a bit later. Nevertheless, I've been having stalling problems, when I drive, my car happens to switch off out of nowhere, or sometimes switches off when I come to a stop. Could it be my crankshaft sensor or a dirty throttle body? I'd love more opinions as to whoever had this sort of problem or knows about it. Thanks in advanced.

steve1510
Currently Drives:: 1.6 renault megane grand scenic o4

Re: Engine stalling/cutting out

Postby steve1510 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi exactly same problem here but with twist car started fine sat ideling for about 5mins while waiting for kids then stalled wouldnt start again so changed crank sensor car started but as soon as it started to idel it cut out so changed cam sensor and new battery then found burnt wire in under bonnet fuse box replaced the whole fuse box notice one of the coils seemed to be loose so tightened it down fired her up she ran perfectly left it running for about 20mins took battery off to put tray back in abd fuse box cover started up to take it for spin and back to square one starts every time runs as soon as revs drop below 1000 she stalls have since replace coils its 1.6 petrol and ideas to what this could be ive feeling ive knocked a wire somewhere as it was fine until i put battery tray back in .
cheers steve

Return to “Problems / Questions”