50mph noise and clicking clutch pedal

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

GoldenWonder
Passed Theory

50mph noise and clicking clutch pedal

Postby GoldenWonder » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Well, my 2005 1.6vvt is back to the garage for the 6th time in 3 months for Renaults regular attempt to fix the usual:

1) hesitation when cold
2) squeaking brakes
3) clutch judder

Although as the days go by I have had to add some new items to the list which I have never seen in the forums.

First is the noticeable 'whine' at around 50mph - sounds like gearbox but is this another feature of the 1.6 or just mine? Secondly my clutch pedal now makes a clicking noise whenever depressed/released. I guess theres a switch there somewhere - another common failure point.

Amazing. 17,000 miles and probably the worst built car I have ever owned. And I used to drive an Austin Maestro......

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:01 pm

Mine used to whine when coasting in top, it was however an auto and I do believe that this wasn't an uncommon problem. Is it in a particular gear or at 50mph irrespective of what gear you're in?

Iirc the clutch clicking has been discussed before so I'd suggest doing a search for clutch and seeing what turns up.

I had a Maestro as a company car (showing my age here) some time ago and it was without a doubt the most horrible car I have ever experienced. It was an awful drive and used to break down on a regular basis at least once a week *shivers at the thought* my Meg II was nowhere near as bad and was a hell of a better drive. You have my sympathy.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:34 am

I have a 1.4 and I get a whine around 50mph. It's not very loud but it does sound a bit sci-fi. I also get the odd squeak from the brakes but only really notice it a slow speed with the window open.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

GoldenWonder
Passed Theory

Whine

Postby GoldenWonder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:09 pm

I can accept the whine as a 'feature' - its not terrible and all cars have their little foibles.

Ahh my old Maestro only broke down once in 3 years! Pity my Megane can't match that.

I guess the clutch pedal has a switch in it somewhere for the keycard system to work - I'll have another search!

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:19 pm

i think the clutch pedal has 2 switches on it, one for fully depressed (for start button), and one for fully released (supposedly for smoother gear changes !!)

GoldenWonder
Passed Theory

Switches

Postby GoldenWonder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:25 pm

Thats quite ironic really, as the Megane has the worst clutch I've ever used! After 5000 miles in it I still feel like a leaner driver!

And after owning over 40 different cars in the last 20 years I'm pretty sure its not me!

Return to “Problems / Questions”